Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help with lighting flower/still life

dgardner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with lighting flower/still life

Requesting ideas from the amazing minds here for a fairly simple project. I want to light a single bloom...or several on a white background, in colored translucent glass vase. Will then in post processing blend in texture. So lighting probably fairly simple. May likely want some light on vase from behind or below to enhance translucency I think?
Equipment available probably overkill for this.

White background paper or board
up to 3 Einsteins , could use speed lights but einsteins already set up.

Thanks in advance for ever ones usually great ideas.
Doug

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:23 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with lighting flower/still life

This would be a good use of a transmissive background like a Lastolite Hi-Lite, if you had one.

Lacking that, two Einsteins angled from the sides to light the background -- just out of frame at vase level -- and the third as key light from the front -- at whatever angle and elevation gives a good look for the subject -- would work just fine. A couple of white panels in front to reflect some of the backlight as fill will also help.

If you have a reflective black base to set the vase on, that can work well. It'll look white to the camera when backlit, but will help give a dark outline to the translucent vase to help it stand out from the background. Black cards out of frame at the sides can also help with that.

Do you have a copy of Light -- Science and Magic? It goes into this kind of stuff in great detail, if I recall correctly. (I'm at work, and my copy is at home.)

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:52 PM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with lighting flower/still life

Any other ideas? The second though is great, I'll try it.

unfortunately don't have a Hi-lite..would love to have one though...

Oct 14, 2012 at 05:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with lighting flower/still life

dgardner wrote:
...unfortunately don't have a Hi-lite..would love to have one though...

Likewise.

For small oobjects, like your flowers, you might be able to cover a window with some tracing paper, a softbox diffuser panel, or other translucent material and use that as a pseudo-HiLite lit by daylight. Then you'd have all three of your Einsteins to use for key and fill.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:47 PM
dgardner
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with lighting flower/still life

Interesting....how bout thin white muslin over a window, with slaved SB 900 wide angle triggered(by Einsteins) through it?

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with lighting flower/still life

dgardner wrote:
Interesting....how bout thin white muslin over a window, with slaved SB 900 wide angle triggered(by Einsteins) through it?

I'm not a Nikonian, but if the SB-900 can be optically synced by the flash of the Einstien it should work. (Canon Speedlites require an add-on optical trigger.)

The only question would be how much light loss the muslin would introduce. Sounds like a fun experiment.

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:34 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password