Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Beach Landscape

IndyFab
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beach Landscape

Been enjoying all of your posts and trying to learn from you more experienced folks.

First time posting image for critique of both composition and pp

Fill free to edit if you would like.

Beach landscape

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:02 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beach Landscape

I'm curious. What you you feel is the subject of this image?

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:15 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beach Landscape

The beach area with palm trees. I think I get your reason for asking, not a strong enough focal point.

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:20 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beach Landscape

A good rule of thumb, especially when starting out, is if you can't identify the subject there isn't a coherent one. If this image is evaluated as a "beach with palm trees", the natural next question is why? The beach and palms is only a small and not eye-catching part of the scene. There isn't much there, there. It's a simple snapshot with nothing to interest the average viewer.

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:11 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beach Landscape

Well received .. Look to improve on next one.

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Beach Landscape

If the "beach area with palm trees" is your point / message that you want to convey to your viewer, then I'd suggest rebalancing the image by cropping some of the right side, so that the subject matter has a heavier weighting in the scene.

Currently, the "beach area with palm trees" is about equally weighted with the water to the right. The crop rebalances that such that the viewer is now drawn more toward the subject area by virtue of the weighting variance. You can use things like selective focus and tonal values, etc. to help draw your viewers eye to your intended message, but those techniques likely won't be of tremendous help in this kind of scene where you are presenting an "overall" look, but rebalancing can sometimes be helpful.

Here's a couple of crops with some subtle variance in weighting for comparison of the diff it can provide. Interesting to note the diff the inclusion of the rock vs. water makes at the images RH edge, also, the positioning of the person on the right relative to the distance form the RH edge. Variations abound, but some things for consideration.

BTW ... if your message is to make the viewer wish they were there ... I'm getting the point.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Beach Landscape

Contrarian that I am, I like to look at beautiful scenery and and do not require some specific subject. Maybe I just have not advanced above the snap shot level.

So at that level I like your image. It does have a harsh look to it. My first thought was some over processing, but probably just a very bright day. In spite of the clouds, the shadows say the sun was overhead and some of it was getting to the ground.

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:46 PM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Beach Landscape

Thanks Rusty and Ben.
Rusty I did actually make a couple virtual copies with cropping off the right side, but I went with the full image because of using the clouds, as I felt it added to the overall view, but you are wright, the crop is more compostion correct. Good to hear you want to be there, as that is what it does for me also. So I guess that's what it projects to the viewer, even though as Auntipod said, its just a snapshot.

Ben even though I new it really wasn't compostion correct, I left it as you see it, for the very same reason as you mentioned, as I enjoyed the overall scenery and it kept the cloud formation in the photo.

This is Dubois Park off the Jupiter Fl inlet. Off to the right is a light house. I have taken some shots of it, but nothing I really would want to post just yet.
Additionally just to the southeast of this photo (walking distance) is a lagoon where parents take there children to swim.

Use to live in that area, but moved away, but you can get some really nice sunsets reflecting off the water and those carribean light blue waters. I just happened to be in the area, and went there to have my lunch at the inlet, and took a couple of shots without tripod. Need to get back there for sunset and tripod.

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Don Hamilton j

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Beach Landscape

A nice series!!

Sep 30, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Wyn Carraway

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Beach Landscape

Nice job.

I agree with what others have commented about focal point and thanks to everyone we have learned more about that.

Besides focal points, the key improvement I would make to this photo is to shoot at another time. The contrast of the tree leaves and shadows is a bit much for me -- but then again that's a matter of taste.

Congrat on having the courage to post your first photo and best wishes on your continued shooting.

Oct 02, 2013 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password