Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Culling?

Access
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Culling?

How do the rest of you do this? I mean how do you go about the process of reducing 140+ photos that you took during that day (that made the original cut) to between 5 and 10 to post here, show to your club, or such?

The method that I use right now is a bit of a mix between the old days of prints and scrapbooking, that is once I have it down to a more manageable 30 or so photos, I will open all of them up in an app like irfanview (a picture viewer), shrink the windows down, and then start arranging them on my computer screen similar to a scrapbook page. I'll make them the approximate size to where the intended final number (ie. 10) fit on my screen, from there I move them around, remove (close the window) and arrange until I have only that many left.

A lot of my criterion is less defined, but as a general rule I don't like to show more than one shot of particular person, maybe two if they are real interesting or notable. I favor the shots that capture interaction, emotion, etc. even though I find that sometimes these are not the most popular shots with a general audience.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #2 · Culling?

I use lightroom to cull. I load hundred percent previews and have it set up to delete in one week, that way I can see hundred percent view instantly and don't have to wait for it to load. Make sure caps lock is on so when you rate a picture it will automatically go to the next, then rate 4 for toss and 5 for a keeper. Make sure to turn on your caps lock.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #3 · Culling?

I use LR and initially set all photographs to Rejected (x). I then go through and make initial picks (p).
For the picks that make the cut, I just do a 1-5 rating system. Anything rated 4-5 is what I want to show

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #4 · Culling?

Yeah that's one thing I should add, I use lightroom to get down to the 30-or-so. I rate the keepers 5, everything else gets tossed.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Culling?

a) Shoot
b) Load in Lightroom
c) Select all
d) Delete from disk
e) ...return to a)

Sorry, couldn't help that one because that's how it feels sometimes! Pretty much like the other posters I use Lightroom to preview, immediately delete the technical failures (i.e. out of focus, blurred from movement, exposure beyond salvage, images of my feet or belt or the obvious bad comps or "dull" shots) Of course these days with the 5DMIII that can represent less than 10%; but I do delete those from disk. After that, its image by image with an initial exposure tweak, more careful look at composition/cropping and flagging the ones with potential. I then re-sort to have all of the flagged image in a group or I'll create a collection of the flagged ones if it's a big set. I then let the whole stew for 24 hours and sit back down to see if I feel differently about my flagged choices. Whatever makes the cut is then fine-tuned in Lightroom and then a final edit in Photoshop...et voila!

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:38 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Culling?

I just keep doing rounds of "the best of the best" until it is whittled down to a workable number....

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:47 AM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #7 · Culling?

That seems like a bit unwieldy, but interesting approach. I typically scan through in LR flagging potentials and the a second round with simple star ratings. This works fine for me, but I also don't shoot a ton in a day and usually it's pretty obvious to me what I want to share

Oct 13, 2012 at 06:28 AM

tyasa81
• •
p.1 #8 · Culling?

wow... a lot of lightroom users... i tried it once but somehow it just doesn't connect... i actually used bridge to load and select the pics... somehow it seems a lot faster in bridge... am i missing something? the ones rated 4 and 5 is process in acr only, and the 2-3 stars are usually a stitch or hdr job... after all that i'll wittle it down further to 3-5 pics a series...

Oct 13, 2012 at 08:08 AM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #9 · Culling?

another lightroom user here,,

serves me well and seems we all do pretty much the same process,,

Derry

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:09 PM
whitewash

p.1 #10 · Culling?

I used to do it all in Bibble, but it's not my converter of choice anymore, so now I'm making multiple passes for culling and (when I go to the raw files) processing. I usually use Bridge for the first pass. Definite keepers get marked red, possibles get a number. Tried Lightroom first beta, never wrapped my head around the interface, never went back to it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:50 AM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #11 · Culling?

photo mechanic ONLY

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:18 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #12 · Culling?

whitewash wrote:
Tried Lightroom first beta, never wrapped my head around the interface, never went back to it.

I didn't like lightroom at all until the latest version (Lightroom 4). After the free 30-day trial I really couldn't go back.

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #13 · Culling?

I use LR4.2 right now.

I don't do a lot of portraiture, but mostly weddings. Get home, bump my 2, 3, or 7 cards off. Load into LR and let it render all 1800-3500 images.

I cull by picking/white flagging. Anything I want I "P" (pick) it, and anything I don't want, I don't do anything to. Then I limit my picks so that I only see them. Then I cull again. This takes me on average 60 minutes.

Then I edit my picks. When I'm done, I 5-Star (5 key) the images I will most likely blog, and red border (6 key) the images I will post as teasers on Facebook.

Oct 18, 2012 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password