Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

bbasiaga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

sharpening in PP only brings out the max achieve able sharpness the image can provide. If the focus is off, you can't sharpen it enough to create detail that was never captured. So, as I understand it, AFMA can help in cases where focus is being missed, but sharpening in post can also help you understand how much, if any, you are off on focus accuracy.

Can anyone tell me if I've got that wrong?

-Brian

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM
James Cripps
• •
p.2 #2 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

I don't understand. So you're shooting jpg? Or RAW and editing in DPP?

It looks like a LOT more than just sharpening happening here... the first crops look completely out of focus and then the sharpened crop have this immense amount of detail. It doesn't look like traditional sharpening :S

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:41 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

Best AFMA is no MA, perfect calibration means MA = 0. I have lenses that required differences wide range of AFMA on 5D2 but they seem work fine on 1Ds2.

Edited on Oct 17, 2012 at 05:28 AM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:09 AM
andyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

I read the earlier post though to say that by setting the sharpening to 7 it reduced the MA correction. Is it preferred to max sharpening before testing for MA amounts needed?

Oct 17, 2012 at 05:25 AM
jwp721
• •
p.2 #5 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

andyz wrote:
I read the earlier post though to say that by setting the sharpening to 7 it reduced the MA correction. Is it preferred to max sharpening before testing for MA amounts needed?

What earlier post? Sharpening should not affect the issue of a camera back focusing or front focusing.

John

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #6 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

Prior page as the process of micro adjusting was discussed:

I did my 4th and (hopefully) final MA calibration test today with both bodies and all lenses. I have found that only 1 of my lenses benefitted from MA and the large, overarching issue was turning up in-camera sharpening in the Pictures Styles menu. I now have it said to the maximum of +7. Prior, I was shooting "Faithful" (i.e. 0 sharpening), and the difference as I went from 0 to 2 to 4 to 6 to 7 was INCREDIBLE...NIGHT & DAY DIFFERENCE.

This test, of course, was on One Shot mode, so I'm crazy eager for my next assignment to test out the results with AI Servo (I'm a sports photog).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*BTW: I originally had both of my Mark IIIs set to my own User Defined Pictures Styles mode which had +5 for sharpening. Somehow, I switched one of my bodies to "Faithful" (0 sharpening), which explains why I was so dissatisfied with that one body more than the other.

Now that I've tested both bodies at +7 sharpening together, I was floored by the difference (taking one shot at 0 sharpening and another at +7 was almost life-changing)

In the past, I had always been cautious about using the max value for any setting, but that may have changed (I'll know for sure after the next shoot)!!

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:20 PM
jwp721
• •
p.2 #7 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

^ Still stick to my opinion that sharpness has nothing to do with a camera that is front focusing or back focusing.

I am a little curious though with the experience that the OP has had with maxing out his in camera sharpness. I have a 70-200 and a 24-70 like the OP and when I max out the in camera sharpness I see artifacts in the resulting images. Typically I never go past 4 or 5. Will be interesting to see what kind of results he gets in real world shooting.

I may play around with FoCal this weekend though to see if it likes more sharpened images when conducting their different tests. But I can not see the results being different.

Edited on Oct 17, 2012 at 02:54 PM · View previous versions

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyz
• • •
p.2 #8 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

I don't disagree. I wonder though if it has anything to do with the process or software used to MA a camera? Does it in some way influence the results, like controlling the brightness of a monitor to color calibrate it?

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:50 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.2 #9 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

Hey all - glad to see good discussion coming from all this!

Regarding the images I posted, the ONLY difference between the "before" and "after" shots is sharpening; there was no MA adjustment whatsoever.

The one lens that needed MA was my 24-70mm f/2.8 (not the one used to take the sample shots). For that lens, I set MA to 0 and Sharpening to 0. I then did MA adjustment (-8 I think it was), and there was a good improvement. I then turned Sharpening up in increments of +2, +4, +6, and finally +7. Each step up improved upon the image.

So MA helped get the lens calibrated and in-camera sharpening helped it the rest of the way.

I reallllyyy don't like post-processing and try to minimize it as much as possible and as often as possible. So if I can save myself a step with a camera setting (and it functions at least decently), I'll take it. Could my final results look better if I spent more time using Photoshop? Sure. But to me, I'd rather have great images instead of phenomenal images if it means I get to spend less time in front of a computer monitor

Oct 17, 2012 at 06:57 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #10 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

Good to know. I was afraid there were instructions to adjust sharpening as a part of the MA process and I wasn't sure how that would affect accuracy overall.

I'm still debating if I want to get FoCal, so I'm gathering info.

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:00 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.2 #11 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

As I said earlier, I had both of my 1D Mark IIIs set the same (+5 sharpening) on a custom User Defined Picture Styles setting. Over time, I accidentally switched one of them to the "Faithful" Picture Style (i.e. 0 Sharpening). I didn't realize it at the time; all I knew was that I was VERY displeased with the results I was getting from that camera and was content with the other.

Once I realized that I had the "problem cam" on Faithful, I switched it back, and then did this test. I just now put both cameras on +7 sharpening because the difference at 100% images was noticeable enough for me. I haven't shot a game since, but I have football tomorrow night and v-ball or soccer on Friday. Further comments will come after I put both bodies back in action!

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:03 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.2 #12 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

Andy - as for FoCal, it's a pretty cool program. However, if you're willing to set aside some time to do MA manually by yourself, I'd save the money.

When doing MA manually, I took shots at -20, -10-, 0, +10, and +20. I then looked at the images and determined which direction on the scale looked best. Then round 2 I did smaller increment changes on the appropriate side (negative end or positive end).

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:06 PM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.2 #13 · MA + Picture Styles Sharpening **(SAMPLE IMAGES)**

Oh and no, there are no Sharpening settings for MA calibration. I had sharpening at 0 (completely off) for the MA test. It was *after* the test that I then fooled around with Sharpening and a whole new world opened up to me

I'll also mention that +5 or +6 sharpening does look a bit smoother than the max of +7. However, I almost never deal with images at 100%, so I'll shoot at +7 and see how the results look. If I find the images too unnatural-looking, then I'll try +6 or back to my original +5. Regardless, a bit of sharpening was MUCH better (in my opinion) than none at all.

I don't know if in-camera sharpening is more precise than sharpening in an editing program. However, my 1D Mark III images were so soft without sharpening that I was considering selling them off and either going back to the 1D Mark II N or switching to Nikon. However, even if in-camera sharpening is not as precise as out-of-camera, I'm so much happier with the test results that I don't care

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password