Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

BGP1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Hey all,

I recently shot a wedding where the DJ mentioned wanting to use some images for a new website they were building. I sent them some images they requested resized to their spec but I stick my web/name on the bottom corner like this

and then I get this email today

"I hope all is well with you. I wanted to ask you if it would be ok to remove your name from the photo's that we want to use on our website. The images that we are using from the photographers X has worked with do not have their name on their images and, when looking at them as a story or photo montage, it looks inconsistent. We have a section on the website called "Valued Partner's" where we list the name of the photographer, website address and phone number. Would you be ok with removing your name from the images but being recognized in this section of the website?"

What do you think? I thought it was fair to watermark them and I guess I don't really care that much because it's a DJ and not a Venue or something where more potential brides will see it but what do you think?

Oct 12, 2012 at 06:28 PM
bigfredtn
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

I would not remove the name. How will the viewers know who took the picture?

Oct 12, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #3 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Tell him you will remove if he can place a number by each photo - and under the photos give credit ON THE SAME PAGE- for example - photos 2,3,5 were taken by Brian Gross Photography.

Otherwise, no deal.

Oct 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

I'd ask for credit immediately under the image... as well as the vendor's page.

Oct 12, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

I think a credit adjacent to the image is acceptable. Kind of like a photo credit in a magazine. Watermarked photos IMO look tacky.

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:01 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Yes, I'd be okay with it. Who cares? Are you really going to get referrals from a DJ page anyways, for that image? Come on now. You're just giving it to him to be nice, simple as that. So either be nice or don't, but ask yourself if this is just principle or does it really matter to you? And... how easy would it be for him to just Photoshop out your name and you may have never realized it, instead he is asking you politely.

I often send vendors images un-watermarked and some of them reply asking for watermarked versions. I'm happy to oblige if they want that, but I couldn't really care less either way. Makes no difference whatsoever to my business.

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:21 PM
othfilm
• •
p.1 #7 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

TTLKurtis wrote:
And... how easy would it be for him to just Photoshop out your name and you may have never realized it, instead he is asking you politely.

This. He's offering to put you on his referral page, but, the reality is that bride's arent gonna book their DJ before they book you, so chances are referral's weren't going to be much in the first place. Better to have positive interactions with other vendors in your area (to avoid them bad-mouthing you to other planners and venues) than to maybe get one fluke referral from a watermark

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:25 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

As others have said the watermark on a DJ page is worth jack. The link on the other hand could be useful for SEO.

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:34 PM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #9 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Thanks everybody for all of your input. Sometimes it just feels better to bounce things off of someone else before deciding what do to. I think Kurtis hit the nail on the head I was just on the fence about it.

-B

Oct 12, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Juliewhitlock

p.1 #10 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Yes, I'd be okay with it. Who cares? Are you really going to get referrals from a DJ page anyways, for that image? Come on now. You're just giving it to him to be nice, simple as that. So either be nice or don't, but ask yourself if this is just principle or does it really matter to you? And... how easy would it be for him to just Photoshop out your name and you may have never realized it, instead he is asking you politely.

I often send vendors images un-watermarked and some of them reply asking for watermarked versions.
...Show more

+1

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

spink
• • •
p.1 #11 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

I dunno, I think if someone wants to promote their business without credits (or even buried in another page) I would be likely to ask for compensation. The chances of you getting referral business from the DJ is super minimal, at least in my experience.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM
ZachOly
• •
p.1 #12 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

I'd either watermark it (smaller) or not let them use it.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

ai3x wrote:
the watermark on a DJ page is worth jack. The link on the other hand could be useful for SEO.

+1

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:16 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

I don't agree at all with the negative DJ referral references. I actually get a lot of referrals from two very professional DJ's in my area. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to provide them with images. Still, I'd want my recognition with the image for bride's looking at DJ's.

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:21 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

othfilm wrote:
the reality is that bride's arent gonna book their DJ before they book you

I don't know if that's true. It seems, on the few occasions it has come up in consultations with prospective clients, a number of them have already booked a DJ. Perhaps others can chime in here with their personal experience on order of booking.

Oct 13, 2012 at 05:23 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Agreed. That's not always the case. When I ask who a couple is using, probably 50% give me a name. The others usually ask for my recommendation; to which I usually recommend the same two names above.

Oct 13, 2012 at 06:25 AM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #17 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Been there done this, the link was a "no follow" so useless. Promoting the DJ and not promoting yourself is like stepping on your toes as you try to walk. Every creator has a moral right to credit, the best place for that is on the image. The onus is not on them or the web designer to credit under the image should the image travel further than their website/facebook another site etc. Lets say I like to use without permission, put in on my site and call it my own. Me the infringer can then can play dumb, it wasn't watermarked so was in the public domain. You end up wasting time doing DMCA notices etc.
Leave as is or don't use it and in using it xyz DJ agree to not manipulate image in any way and agree to pay licensing fees should you remove my watermark. Whats the point in buying equipment, honing your craft and producing quality images to remain anonymous in any source of marketing

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

jofoto photo wrote:
Been there done this, the link was a "no follow" so useless

But if you're listed on the DJ's site as a recommended vendor ...

Not sure what you mean by "no follow". The link wasn't clickable?

Oct 13, 2012 at 02:40 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

D. Diggler wrote:
But if you're listed on the DJ's site as a recommended vendor ...

Not sure what you mean by "no follow". The link wasn't clickable?

the no-follow just tells search engines not to count that link towards page-rank

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:57 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Vendor image use, would this bother you?

Every bit helps. I would say they will have to leave it.

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password