Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sekonic L-558 question

iShoot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sekonic L-558 question

Hello everyone,

I just acquired a L-558 and I can't seem to get it to shutter priority. I'm always in aperture priority. I keep scrolling and the "T" will not get highlighted. Any help is appreciated!

Oct 12, 2012 at 02:10 AM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sekonic L-558 question

Is it in incident mode or in flash? In flash measurement, I believe it will always be in aperture priority. There should be a manual you can find online somewhere.

Oct 12, 2012 at 02:23 AM
iShoot
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sekonic L-558 question

Hello John,

I referred to the manual and I'm still stumped. It simply says use the jog wheel to get to the mode but still no dice. I'm in incident mode.

Oct 12, 2012 at 02:29 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sekonic L-558 question

Correction: It needs to be in Ambient mode. Either Incident or Reflected measurements can be made in either Ambient or Flash mode, but as mentioned Flash mode is always aperture priority.

You can set a standard shutter speed in flash mode, but that's not the same as Shutter Priority mode.

Ambient / Shutter Priority mode is covered on Page 12 of your manual, and setting the shutter speed for Flash mode is on Pages 17 &18:

Oct 12, 2012 at 04:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sekonic L-558 question

Any luck yet, Don?

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:26 AM
iShoot
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sekonic L-558 question

Sorry Brian, I've been shooting all week. Yes I managed to figure it out. The meter was throwing me off because when I went into the mode with the highlighted "T" (shutter priority) it gave me a F/S next to the number. I kept scrolling through the numbers and found what I wanted. Thank you so much!

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:55 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sekonic L-558 question

iShoot wrote:
...when I went into the mode with the highlighted "T" (shutter priority) it gave me a F/S next to the number...

Well, you've now discovered Sekonic's hidden bonus feature: the standard 558 and 758 have a subset of the Cine models' "Frames per Second" metering for shooting motion pictures. As you found, you just keep scrolling to get back to still-camera numbers.

Glad everything worked out.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password