Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Three buttes

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Three buttes

I realized I save too many images which means I am not very good at discriminating keepers.
For the next few posts, I would appreciate some tough love.

Butte 1

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E24mm f/3.5L II lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Butte 2

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    50-50mm lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Butte 3

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    50-50mm lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/30s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM
sadja
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Three buttes

Hi Ben,

As usual, technically HQ, but FMT, also as usual, NVI.

FMT=for my taste,
NVI = not very interesting.

Sorry.

(I should prolbably butt out, since seem, to have abandoned the camera.)

Just got Schewe's book on The Digital Negaive. Haven't looked at it yet.

Today 1st rain since last March or April. T-storm with snow or hail)!

Edited on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Three buttes

Thanks Sadja, I had to ask, because this is something I am just not getting. So I really do appreciate the feedback. The last is my favorite of the three and I prefer it to my Mesa Arch shot and Colorado reflection shot. But I was pretty sure none of there were wall hangers.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM
sadja
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Three buttes

Maybe something like this.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Three buttes

No doubt about it...all three are keepers. Unfortunately none of these fall into the spectacular category. You need the skies that are currently present in the Salt Lake valley this evening.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Three buttes

Thanks for the crop. I tried a tighter frame at the scene but thought I needed all of the pyramid on the right.

This is good info, I never know if its because of composition, subject or lack of drama. I did not think any of these were centered or static but thought the lack of clouds hurt them.

Don't butt out, you are an experienced Photog and your opinion matters to me.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Three buttes

First has the best range of defined textures.
Second has the best shapes against the sky, but the right portion doesnt add much. The crop above, while maybe a little tighter on the right than I would do, improves, IMO. I think taking a bit off the top, with little interest in the sky, would help.
Third feels far too flat. Trash.
In the second and the third I am left wondering if the color of the desert floor is accurate. But I havent been there, so I dont know.
Scott

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Three buttes

Camperjim wrote:
No doubt about it...all three are keepers. Unfortunately none of these fall into the spectacular category. You need the skies that are currently present in the Salt Lake valley this evening.

I have been out shooting those sky's. Alpine and Nebo Loop. But those images are for another day.

This is a good way of stating it, "keepers but not spectacular". I have no problem grading my images from best to worse, it's just that after ranking them 1-20 or so, if 20 is still ok, I tend to keep it. I also know that "spectacular" usually involves some sky drama for landscapes. That dismisses at least 75% of them right off the bat.

You probably recognize this as Castle Valley. I told my wife on the way back to the room that some of the bluffs along the Colorado River leaving Moab were prettier. I decided I had shot Castle Valley and did not need to return.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Three buttes

sbeme wrote:
First has the best range of defined textures.
Second has the best shapes against the sky, but the right portion doesnt add much. The crop above, while maybe a little tighter on the right than I would do, improves, IMO. I think taking a bit off the top, with little interest in the sky, would help.
Third feels far too flat. Trash.
In the second and the third I am left wondering if the color of the desert floor is accurate. But I havent been there, so I dont know.
Scott

Hi Scott, 1st and 3rd are the same butte but a much different angle, and the first was in golden light while the 3rd was twilight. I like the shape of the butte in the 3rd best and also like the light and color.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Three buttes

Then you should keep it.
What you like is what is most important.
Scott

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Three buttes

sbeme wrote:
Then you should keep it.
What you like is what is most important.
Scott

Actually none of these are what I call wall hangers. But they do represent some work I have done with forum critique in mind,. Just trying to see if I am learning anything.

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:00 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Three buttes

Ben; I rate all my images from imported (zero) to 5... A one is blah... A two has potential but isn't good enough to waste time on... A three is worth some effort, but most likely not a wall hanger... A four is a definite keeper that deserves as much time and effect needed to draw out it's potential... Fives are ready to print or size & display on the web... After rating I delete all zero - two's... I work on the fours only, saving the threes for a later date... All adjustments are made on separate layers (copies) and stacked in a collapsed state... My wife has to give me the, "oh my God I love it," or I keep working or ask here for help... On the images posted I would give them 2 / 3 rating... Your likes / dislikes will differ from mine... Only you have the final say, nobody else...Jim

Oct 12, 2012 at 04:12 AM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Three buttes

no, yes, maybe. In that order.

Oct 12, 2012 at 02:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Three buttes

oldrattler wrote:
Ben; I rate all my images from imported (zero) to 5... A one is blah... A two has potential but isn't good enough to waste time on... A three is worth some effort, but most likely not a wall hanger... A four is a definite keeper that deserves as much time and effect needed to draw out it's potential... Fives are ready to print or size & display on the web... After rating I delete all zero - two's... I work on the fours only, saving the threes for a later date... All adjustments are made on separate layers (copies)
...Show more

Good practice, I need to do something like it. I do have a higher standard for wall hangers than for what I post on the web however. I did get an impression from your wording that an image needs to be pretty good to show on the web.

The way I see it is that less than 1% will become wall hangers (only have room for a dozen anyway but I do change them out. For web I will show lesser stuff for various reasons and also because the web degrades an image so badly that it hardly matters. Of course I might show the occasional wall hanger, which often enough gets panned. But I mostly show stuff that might be wall hangers in more dramatic light, or others just for subject/compostional learning.

On your scale, I would say 2/3 is a very honest assessment.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Three buttes

silvawispa wrote:
no, yes, maybe. In that order.

Thanks, this is helpful.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Three buttes

Ben, don't underestimate the quality of your well-made images even though conditions might not be right for a spectacular wall hanger.

I went through the Castle Valley a couple of times last summer. I looked through my archives and found that my images were all very ordinary. I even had one afternoon with dramatic skies and failed to come away with much.

There is a lot to be said for a good image that captures the natural beauty of the scenery.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Three buttes

Thanks Jim, I guess many of my shots are recordings rather than art. But I am trying to learn more about art even though I don't have a natural talent.

In recent months I have tried to avoid posting mere recordings unless I think they can be used for examples that might lead to further knowledge.

Oct 12, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Three buttes

Ben, I opened another thread to post some of my images for the area. I was lucky enough to have much better clouds than you had but still did not have the skill to make strong images.

I guess I have similar questions. I want to learn how to make the best of the conditions I encounter while making my travel images or "recordings". I keep thinking composition or processing will help but don't find I have much success. Often the issue is the time of day. Magic hour images do indeed tend to be stronger but that would mean not recording most of the areas I travel through. I still want the memory snapshots. Somehow I would like to end up with more good images. Most of my good ones seem to be just a matter of luck.

Oct 12, 2012 at 05:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Three buttes

Hi Jim, we bombed at the Landscape forum because that was a presentation forum, and both of us tend to be travel photo types and so far I have not found a proper home for that sort of showing.

It does not really fit here either, but I think so long as what we show is aimed at learning about good presentation, we are ok.

Art is not my primary goal and I am ill suited to it anyway. But I have no reason not to pursue it at whatever level I can reach.

I feel like I have learned a lot here in he short time I have been showing stuff. One thing I do need to learn is what to show and what not to show.

If I am just trying to use this as a substitute for the landscape forum and present stuff for ohhs and ahs, I think I miss the mark. But if I am honestly looking for help in advancing my skills, I think I am ok.

Oct 12, 2012 at 06:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password