Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

My monster has arrived!
This was the most excellent transaction ever!
PERFECT!
FM seller, voodoo1694, went out of his way to help me!

Now, what accessories, etc. do I need?
I bought a used Wimberely plate and a used side kick.
I will have to wait until sometime later for a mega tripod, any recommendations?
My current best tripod is an old Slik 700 DX, I use it successfully w/ my 100-400L, and my 4x5 Sinar f2 film monster, even with mega length bellows, and heavy petzval lenses.

Is the manual online?
I will have to look.

I hope to get some limited play/test time in later this PM.
DEFINITE workout this weekend!
Too excited to think straight...

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Congrats!

You might want to get a Don Zeck hard cap for everyday use, instead of the leather cap/hood cover. Many people (like me) also get LensCoat covers. This lens is heavy enough that it can scratch itself if you put it down on something hard. The LensCoat cover will help prevent that. Also, you might want to get a replacement lens foot.

I generally use mine with a monopod. The Feisol CM-1471 Rapid is a sweet one. The RRS MH-01 goes nicely between the 1431 and 200/1.8L.

I carry mine around in a Kinesis E870 XXL Lens Pouch III, which fits the lens with hood reversed and a 1D-series body attached (also fits with a 1.x4 Extender.

Cheers, Jim

Zeck http://www.donzecklenscap.com/
LensCoat http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatreg-canon-p-265.html
Kinesis http://www.kgear.com/store/e870.html
Feisol CM 1471 http://www.feisol.net/feisol-monopod-cm1471-rapid-p-6.html
RRS replacement lens foot http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=LCF-40&type=0&eq=&desc=LCF-40%3a-Foot-for-Canon-200mm%2ff1.8&key=it
RRS MH-01 monopod tilt head http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MH-01&type=0&eq=&desc=MH-01-Hi-Capacity-Monopod-Head

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

How will you be using the lens? I'm a bit surprised that you bought a Sidekick for it. I don't own the lens, but 200mm isn't that long of a FL. I would think most 200/1.8L lenses are used for headshots and action shots. Neither would require a tripod.

Use the lens without a tripod first and see if you need one.

I agree with Jim's recommendation for the lens cap replacement and LensCoat.

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Here's a few photos of mine, showing (1) the Kinesis bag, (2) Zeck cap, and (3) RRS replacement foot.

P.S. it looks really cool in an airport security scanner image.

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Oh, for the Zeck cap, I prefer not to use the handle that is normally attached to the cap. If you ask, Don will not attach it, but will still send it with the cap. Without the handle attached, the lens sits very nicely on the cap, when placed on a flat surface. With the cap, the lens is kind of wobbly & unstable. The gaffer's tape on the Zeck cap (photo 2) covers the holes used to secure the handle with four small, plastic rivets. I don't use the handles for my 500/4L IS or 300/2.8L IS (which I sold with the cap, early this year).

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:00 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Thanks!

As for the side kick, shrug, I probably don't need this, but, I'm a tripod junky, been using manual focus lenses for so long now, I prefer using one whenever possible.
I have two Slik giant ballheads that seem to work great.
Many different tripods, and a nice monopod.

Jim, I like all the accessories you have shown, I will eventually get them all.
Thanks!

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Buggz,

I have the Slik 700DX also, I put an Arca Swiss BH-1 ball head on it and have been generally pleased with it. I also drilled a hole in the plastic cap at the bottom of the center column and added an eyebolt so I can hang stuff, like the spendy pods have!

I also bought the Feisol monopod from recommendations on this forum, added a Kirk head, and have been very happy so far with that under my 300 2.8 and 7D shooting HS football. I have added a metal spiked foot to mine; the rubber foot just pops off to reveal metric threads. A trip to the hardware store and again to the machine shop and I had a splendid little spike that pivots smoothly in the grass, rather than a rubber flat foot that wants to stick or shift when rotated. I left my monopod at home last week, and borrowed a spindly one with no head from a colleague, and I daresay I would have preferred to shoot handheld!

Enjoy the new glass!

Paul

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:00 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Congratulations, Ed.......you've got your iconic lens.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:02 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Dan (Voodoo1694) is a great seller, highly recommended.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

"How will you be using the lens? I'm a bit surprised that you bought a Sidekick for it. I don't own the lens, but 200mm isn't that long of a FL. I would think most 200/1.8L lenses are used for headshots and action shots. Neither would require a tripod.

Use the lens without a tripod first and see if you need one. "

Having used a 200 1.8 for the last seven or eight years, all I can say is that you absolutely need a tripod. While it's possible to handhold this lens, it's far from ideal. The sheer weight alone makes it very difficult to hold steady at any shutter speed and also makes accurate framing almost impossible, and the awkward weight distribution only amplifies that.

I generally use it clamped to a BH-55 that is kept pretty loose so I can rotate at will on the ball.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Sexy! I am living vicariously through you... Someday...

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

I don't even need one.... But I still want one... I need to shoot more and look at gear less

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Sugoi!
This thing IS heavy!
Much more so than my humble 100-400L
I was shooting handheld tonight.
But, I see that I wont be doing the handhold thing much.

Anyone have the manual in electronic form?

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Peter Figen wrote:
"How will you be using the lens? I'm a bit surprised that you bought a Sidekick for it. I don't own the lens, but 200mm isn't that long of a FL. I would think most 200/1.8L lenses are used for headshots and action shots. Neither would require a tripod.

Use the lens without a tripod first and see if you need one. "

Having used a 200 1.8 for the last seven or eight years, all I can say is that you absolutely need a tripod. While it's possible to handhold this lens, it's far from ideal. The sheer weight alone

I completely disagree with this. I only shoot this lens hand held and have no problem framing or getting sharp shots at 1/200th on up. I am not a big strong guy, quite average. It just takes practice.
...Show more

Edited on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

I have the parts catalog - not that we'll be needing it.

P.S. one word, "monopod".

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Wow, this lens and my good ol' 5DMkII makes for a great combo.
Looking at RAWs via Bridge, I can zoom to 200% crop, and if I did my part correctly, they are bang on!
100 % crop is a piece of cake with this combo.

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:12 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

saneproduction wrote:
I completely disagree with this. I only shoot this lens hand held and have no problem framing or getting sharp shots at 1/200th on up. I am not a big strong guy, quite average. It just takes practice

+1.
I have shot 200 f/1.8s since 2006. Not even once they have been mounted on a pod, always handheld, for several hours if need be, even at shutter speed values as low as 1/200 sec.
What does help me holding the lens is the RRS replacement foot which I can grip more securely than the stock foot.

Indeed, practice and conditioning is the key.

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:13 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Thanks Jim, I saw this .pdf online, and I got it, just 'cause. *8^)
Yes, I will try the ballhead/monopod combo tomorrow.
I love this lens already.

jcolwell wrote:
I have the parts catalog - not that we'll be needing it.

P.S. one word, "monopod".

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:14 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

what a beaut jcolwell

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:16 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 200/1.8L tips, tricks, etc?

Ah, checking aginst other lens, I see I can also go to 200%, and the image still looks good, so nothing special in this regard, please move along...

buggz2k wrote:
Wow, this lens and my good ol' 5DMkII makes for a great combo.
Looking at RAWs via Bridge, I can zoom to 200% crop, and if I did my part correctly, they are bang on!
100 % crop is a piece of cake with this combo.

Oct 12, 2012 at 01:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password