Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens hoods for 300mm 2.8 IS II & 400mm 2.8 IS II

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens hoods for 300mm 2.8 IS II & 400mm 2.8 IS II

I am surprised that this wasn't reported anywhere.

=====================

Source: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip5200r?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e024804237e8

Product Advisories

Thank you for using Canon products.

It has been confirmed that, even when the lock screw for the lens hood on the Lenses is fastened, the lens hood may rotate when a certain amount of pressure is applied, but it will not detach from the lens. As a result, some specifications for the lens hood have been changed to address this phenomenon. For customers who may be inconvenienced by this phenomenon during shooting and would like to request a lens hood exchange, please contact the Canon Customer Support center in your region. The details are as follows.

Affected Products
Lens hoods for EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM interchangeable lenses for Digital SLR Cameras.

Serial number: 770XXXXXXX through 841XXXXXXX

Support
For customers who would like to request a lens hood, please contact your nearest Canon Customer Support center for a lens hood free of charge.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region. Please register your EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM and register your EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when future firmware updates become available for download. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

Thank you,
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON
1-800-652-2666
TTD: 1-866-251-3752
Email: carecenter@cits.canon.com
For additional support options: www.usa.canon.com/support

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:34 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #2 · Lens hoods for 300mm 2.8 IS II & 400mm 2.8 IS II

It had been discussed back in January when Canon published that service notice.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1075355

Only some lenses were affected, the one I had was pretty solid even if it was in the affected batch. I didn't even bother asking for replacement, but Canon offered to exchange the hood anyway months later when I had the lens in for FW update.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Lens hoods for 300mm 2.8 IS II & 400mm 2.8 IS II

Yes, gwapito, that has been discussed already, as Chris has noted.
Although my 400 is in the recall range, the hood works fine therefore exchanging it would have been a flagrant waste.

In fact, very few defective hoods have been reported, perhaps I've seen one.

The lens firmware recall is similarly a misterious one......I have never been able to determine what performance element is the new firmware supposed to address/remedy, yet I had it done, and I see no change in lens behaviour.

Lastly, I just had Canon "upgrade" my 200 f/2 IS so that IS wouldn't misbehave on 5DMkIII. Well, since I do not own 5DMkIII, I have done that upgrade as a matter of precaution for the future. Since a replacement part was needed from Japan, it has taken Canon 3 weeks to complete that work. Not sure what they had to replace more specifically.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Lens hoods for 300mm 2.8 IS II & 400mm 2.8 IS II

Thanks chris and pogi.

I thought there was no formal service notice issued and more like Canon just valuing their more important customers in exchanging lens hoods.

Could it be that the lens firmware was done for non-1DX bodies?

Pogi, I have yet to bring in my 800/5.6 for service as I, like you, do not use a 5D3. I hope this fault is isolated to that body and future bodies are exempt from this oversight. Thankfully the 200/2 had no need for the fix.

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:54 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password