Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 100mm non-L macro rattles?

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 100mm non-L macro rattles?

Tonight I got my 100mm /2.8 non-L macro out of the drawer and something about it rattled. I took off the lens caps front and back, and it still rattles. I held the focus ring still and it still rattles. Anyone else's do that or is there a trip to Canon in store for this one?

Also, if I have to send it to Canon anyway, is it worth having them replace the front element which has a quarter-inch scratch on it?

Thanks,
kk

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 100mm non-L macro rattles?

Hi kk,

Is that an EF 100/2.8 USM Macro? If yes, then no worries. At least, in my experience, it rattles a bit near its aft end. Should work fine.

A scratch on the front element is a different matter. That would bug the hell out of me, yet it would only matter in rare circumstances. That would be in 'contra lighting' situations, when it could increase flare. At the least, this can reduce the overall contrast in the image that you capture. At the worst, this can add an unusual 'bright' artifact or two (or more) to the image. If you do notice something 'flare-related', then step one is to fill in the scratch with black ink (fine Sharpie should do it), then try it again.

Cheers, Jim

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:12 AM
crwoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 100mm non-L macro rattles?

mine doesnt rattle

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password