New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

StephenAndrew
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

I second shot a wedding for a friend of mine on March 31st (you can see where this is going ). We shoot together often and we know each other pretty well. I shot on my CF cards, and she was just going to get the files whenever we saw each other next - she knows I back up my stuff diligently, so she's cool with that arrangement. Day after the wedding I called her nervously saying that my card reader corrupted my cards somehow and that I tried a recovery software, but that just formatted the cards (made up some BS) and that it seems all the photos I took are gone. She told me to take them to a local camera shop that helped her out with recovering photos from a corrupted card in the past and see what they say. Apologizing like a madman the whole time, I tell her I'll keep her posted on what happens. Hang up, wait a couple minutes, and send a text message: "April fools! Photos are safe and sound " I could have drawn it out longer, but didn't want her stewing in misery the whole day. Got a message back that simply read: "I hate you." It was a mean trick, I admit, but I couldn't resist given the April 1st date. She of course, doesn't really hate me, but she said that the prank made her mad, scared, confused, happy, and relieved all in a matter of a couple minutes. Not directly Canon gear related, although we both shoot Canon, so there ya go

Also, a fun (but perhaps a little mean) thing I do whenever I second shoot for someone I've never worked with before - sometime well into the wedding day (shooting in RAW the whole day), I'll turn to them and say "You want me shooting in Small Jpeg, right?" I always let them know I'm joking right away, but some of the initial shock reactions I get are priceless.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:03 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

This is not my prank, but one perpetrated by a friend who for some time taught photography night classes at a community college.

During the first session he'd do an intro about various types of camera gear and would have equipment out on display, including an EF 300 f/2.8L IS, going on about how it's used for certain applications, is expensive, heavy, etc... At some point during the class he would either accidentally knock it off a table or it would slip from his grasp, much to the surprise of the students!

Of course, what they didn't know was that the lens had been dunked in Lake Ontario and was irreparable according to Canon (a tragedy of its own, I suppose) and that his insurance covered its replacement (but not without a bit of a fight IIRC), relegating the defective copy to prop status.

Oct 11, 2012 at 02:47 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

StephenAndrew wrote:
I second shot a wedding for a friend of mine on March 31st (you can see where this is going ). We shoot together often and we know each other pretty well. I shot on my CF cards, and she was just going to get the files whenever we saw each other next - she knows I back up my stuff diligently, so she's cool with that arrangement. Day after the wedding I called her nervously saying that my card reader corrupted my cards somehow and that I tried a recovery software, but that just formatted the cards (made up
...Show more

Cruel.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:03 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

rscheffler wrote:
This is not my prank, but one perpetrated by a friend who for some time taught photography night classes at a community college.

During the first session he'd do an intro about various types of camera gear and would have equipment out on display, including an EF 300 f/2.8L IS, going on about how it's used for certain applications, is expensive, heavy, etc... At some point during the class he would either accidentally knock it off a table or it would slip from his grasp, much to the surprise of the students!

Of course, what they didn't know was that the lens
...Show more

Got the students' attention I betcha.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:05 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

These are hilarious.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:00 AM
elader
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

When I got my first 70-200f/2.8 I was showing it to my wife and pretended to drop it. Then I put it in its zippered case and actually dropped it. It kicked us some debris inside the lens, but it worked fine.. Canon nicely cleaned it for me for free..

Wife nearly killed me.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

Not Canon but it is fun to hand one of those huge reflectors that fold into a tiny circle in a bag to someone who has no idea what it is and tell them to open it out. Or at least it was funny till my wife almost knocked her tooth out which kinda took the wind out of my sails...

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Your best Canon gears stunt/prank

RazorTM wrote:
I bought a 70-200 2.8L lens mug, and told my dad, "Look at this new lens I got! Let me get a drink real quick, then I'll go grab my camera and test it out."

I opened up a bottle of Dr. Pepper and pulled off the "lens cap" from the mug and started pouring. Oh the look on his face

Almost.
http://cs4391.userapi.com/u2066358/126264741/y_0028bd28.jpg
The secretary once said shortly thereafter: "I thought Ilya (that's me) was nuts when I saw his lens drying in the kitchen rack."
http://cs4391.userapi.com/u2066358/126264741/y_7d96ee48.jpg
A few people were freaked out by this.
http://cs4391.userapi.com/u2066358/126264741/z_650b9a07.jpg
And this is the most expensive cup holder in the world (short of maybe something made for sheiks): the front barrel of my 16-35 L II. It was replaced in the workshop for being badly dented (set me back some extra $$$ and they never asked me - all I asked was to get the innards straight after I smacked the lens against soil back in 2011). But then I wouldn't have got this lovely cup holder, so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea...
The hood is, of course, usable on the real lens.

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.