Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I filed a claim which was closed as soon as the 'seller' offered 'proof of posting' . They never even bothered to check that the 'proof' was not valid . After a ton of emails that they never really bother with I just gave up and said it wasn't worth it

That is exactly my experience.

They make an arbitrary decision based on some internal interpretation of a published or unpublished rule. Case closed, and they refuse to even acknowledge that you exist.

It is almost impossible to talk to anyone there. And when/if you do, they basically say "that is the way the system works. I can't do anything."

I don't want to turn this into a PayPal bashing thread.

But as someone with 16 years experience in finance, they are the ultimate "garage shop", paternalistic, anti-customer-service organization. Really amazing they haven't eveolved to a more "mature" business model.

I have to say again that Chase refused to put up with that, even after they closed the case on Chase the first time. I have found them to be the opposite - they have gone out of their way to help me and "fix" things when I have had an issue. Amazing, isn't it.

Cheers!
Michael

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:55 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

As a buyer, the credit card company can protect you.
As a seller, your personal insurance company can protect you. I continue to have a recent camera I sold insured with my home owner's policy. I'll take it off the plan later this fall. If I get an empty box complaint, I consider it theft and would contact my insurance company with the claim. Recently a local camera shop scratched my sensor and denied it - insurance company handled it for me.
For lower cost items not worth insuring, it is a risk we sellers take and can be mitigated in various ways as many have already noted.

On ebay as auctions near the end, I will cancel bids from persons with little or negative feedback. On FM, I buy & sell with those who have some established feedback. If someone says they never received my L plate or grip, I'm out of luck.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

I was the victim of a similar scam a few years ago. I bought a Canon Rebel for $700. Even paid through paypal. Ebay/PayPal basically said "well, we can't recover all the funds because the seller has no money in their account, so heres what we cover" and refunded me $200. After that I said f*ck you to ebay and will never use them again. I preach to everyone I know to not use eBay. I hope they go out of business.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM
KloseJack

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

HELP!!! I am exactly the victim of this scam. I bought that on the last Thursday and paid for that. Could anyone give me suggestion that how to get my money back?

Thank you, I feel really sad, please help me...

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

KloseJack wrote:
HELP!!! I am exactly the victim of this scam. I bought that on the last Thursday and paid for that. Could anyone give me suggestion that how to get my money back?

Well it's going to depend on how you paid for it. If by credit card then you can go thru the card company and they should be able to help you and recover the funds. But if you did a bank transfer then unless your bank look kindly on you then I doubt you will get far

With banks I've transferred funds to a foreign account a few times to pay for goods. And my bank has always been very diligent in asking what the transfer is for and do I have a good relationship with the vendor. And they made me aware that once funds have transferred there would be very little chance of recovering it should it be a fraud.

I'm really sorry you got scammed. But I always go by the 'if it looks too cheap then it probably is' if I'm looking on eBay etc then I tend to just skim past the really cheap deals. I tend to look at digitalrev (actually their own web site offers better value) and the other known eBay sellers.
I know there are bargains to be had , but you also have to think that margins on most electrical goods are quite thin so if something that is new and current is way cheaper than most other outlets there must be a catch .

Also NEVER fall for the western union scam. Where you pay via WU and send the vendor the details. They will tell you that you can safeguard yourself by withholding a couple of 'key' details until you get the goods . Total crap, I know a couple of people who have been caught with this. The 'seller' Basicly walks into a WU and takes your money straight away.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:38 AM
KloseJack

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Well it's going to depend on how you paid for it. If by credit card then you can go thru the card company and they should be able to help you and recover the funds. But if you did a bank transfer then unless your bank look kindly on you then I doubt you will get far

With banks I've transferred funds to a foreign account a few times to pay for goods. And my bank has always been very diligent in asking what the transfer is for and do I have a good relationship with the vendor. And
...Show more

I just went to my bank and it seems that the bank cannot help me to get it back certainly. Of course I don't expect cheater's conscience, so my money is flying away

Oct 18, 2012 at 05:45 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

I am sorry!

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:28 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

KloseJack:

Did you ever look at your profile?

You have two contributions to this board.

You have no country listed.

There is very little information about you.

If you offered something for sale here I would be remiss in dealing with you.

Just trying to point out how to screen offerings.

There has to be some history first.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:40 AM
KloseJack

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

martines34 wrote:
KloseJack:

Did you ever look at your profile?

You have two contributions to this board.

You have no country listed.

There is very little information about you.

If you offered something for sale here I would be remiss in dealing with you.

Just trying to point out how to screen offerings.

There has to be some history first.

Ah ha, I just found this forum and the board discussing about this issue. As you know, I felt really worry, then registered a new ID and posted my equations, so rest individual information was left blank. Thank you all the same for your instructions. A real harsh lesson.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:59 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

In this case, it was not about information but more the fact that suddenly a very good eBay seller of plumbing equipment was selling camera gear. Unfortunately people just see the feedback score next to the username and also the seller's location.

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:01 AM
KloseJack

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

vsg28 wrote:
In this case, it was not about information but more the fact that suddenly a very good eBay seller of plumbing equipment was selling camera gear. Unfortunately people just see the feedback score next to the username and also the seller's location.

Exactly what I did on the feedback score! However I realized that too late.

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:05 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

Same scammer strikes again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190744564321?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D190744564321%26_rdc%3D1

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:22 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

KloseJack wrote:

I am sorry! I saw your PM to me, I was offline for about 9 days at our vacation place in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan until today.

You could try to strong-arm eBay, or Barclay's.

eBay had quite ample warning from the account owner that the account was hi-jacked - at least 6 hours between the time the account owner contacted eBay on the next morning, and the time in the afternoon that the scammer sent the e-mail. (I talked with the account owner the next day.)

You could contact the account owner and see how happy he is with eBay's actions. He might help you, or at least know of others who were scammed so that you can join together.

It seems that eBay could certainly have individually and CLEARLY warned the "buyers" that the sale was a fraud. They could see each person who had "purchased" the item and tried to contact them.

If you can find others who were scammed, join together and make **A LOT** of noise online to get their attention!

You could also follow the next fraud by the same sellers (posted above.) Report it to eBay, see how eBay handles it, etc. If you can establish a pattern of failed action and repeated, known fraud it makes it all the worse.

You could also contact Barclay's bank about the account you sent the funds to.

I called them as soon as I got the email from the scammer to warn them that there was fraud connected with that account, that it might have been hijacked, and that it was connected with confirmed criminal activity.

Now laws vary, and I don't know the UK, but you might be able to make a case that they were warned about criminal activity in conjunction with that account and took no action, thereby aiding and abetting the fruad, and essentially becoming an accomplice in the fraud.

May be tough going, but your only leverage is going to come through making a lot of noise, so that someone takes action to help you, if only for public relations resons - to shut you up and not look bad in public.

Good luck! Please keep us updated.

Michael

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:16 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

Wahoowa wrote:
Same scammer strikes again:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190744564321?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D190744564321%26_rdc%3D1

How do you know it is the same guy?

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

vsg28 wrote:
How do you know it is the same guy?

It's not 100%, but I'm quite positive. The picture of the item, the bank transfer requirement phase and the European warranty only are all the same. I "bought" the last one just to be sure no one else would buy it.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

One point on the bank transfer only thing. Don't eBay say you HAVE to accept PayPal as 1 form of payment? I'm pretty sure they pulled a listing of mine because I wanted a local (face to face ) transaction without PayPal . I may be wrong as its a long time ago that I sold anything on eBay (and I'm not about to start again)

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:47 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
One point on the bank transfer only thing. Don't eBay say you HAVE to accept PayPal as 1 form of payment? I'm pretty sure they pulled a listing of mine because I wanted a local (face to face ) transaction without PayPal . I may be wrong as its a long time ago that I sold anything on eBay (and I'm not about to start again)

Yes, but whether or not they catch it before the buyers pay for it is another story. If they do, they'll just erase the listing and pretend it never happened.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

BenV wrote:
I was the victim of a similar scam a few years ago. I bought a Canon Rebel for $700. Even paid through paypal. Ebay/PayPal basically said "well, we can't recover all the funds because the seller has no money in their account, so heres what we cover" and refunded me $200. After that I said f*ck you to ebay and will never use them again. I preach to everyone I know to not use eBay. I hope they go out of business.

That's what I don't like about eBay. They charge some hefty fees and they sure could use the money for their own insurance purpose. But, no! They're too greedy to do that. Basically, they don't want to lose anything. Either one of the seller or buyer is gonna be screwed.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RE: Yesterday's Thread - eBay Canon 5DIII for $2,600 - Was Bogus!

KloseJack wrote:

Have you contacted any authority? I got a threat from this dirt bag that I should either pay or he'll post a negative feedback. I'm so scared...the last time I know that sellers can leave a negative feedback is years ago.

Oct 25, 2012 at 02:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.