New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Marathon man

jshalvorsen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Marathon man

Constructive criticism is very much appreciated. I have pushed it a bit far, but I was going for a "gritty sports ad look" that I think would look good with a logo and a slogan(Think Nike Swoosh if it were Nike clothes/shoes etc.)

What works, and what doesn't work for you with this image?

_MG_0063-Edit-Edit-3 by stokkehalvorsen, on Flickr

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:33 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Marathon man

I have no experience with this type of processing or goal, since I rarely look at print ads.
That said, I think you have created a striking image by the play of light across the runner, the detailed accent of his musculature. It looks artificial but I would think that is not important compared to grabbing attention and a bit of Wow!
Possible tweaks that come to mind:
I think the darkness across the face is a bit too strong. I might pull back some shadows there slightly. Perhaps same thing in the darkest areas of his biceps. I'd leave the running suit dark as is for pop/contrast. You might darken the shadow a tad more. Creates a nice effect. It could also be heightened by pulling back the burning/vignette lower right, or brightening the adjacent ground just to the right of the shadow, just in a smallish area. Sky seems quite bright upper left. Maybe mine some details there, darken the upper left corner?

Scott

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Marathon man

I like the treatment, but at first glance I see "Arnold" and the "Terminator" in the runner's face and grimace; an unfortunate mental imprinting in my case detracting from the overall image.

Is cognitive dissonance the proper term?

But, that is my problem.

regards,

Bob

Oct 10, 2012 at 07:28 AM
jshalvorsen

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Marathon man

Thanks for your suggestions sbeme!
The artificial look also comes from me not being 100% at making composites.
I will definately try to lighten some parts of him when I get back from work. I'll also look at the vignette and the sky and see if I can make it more pleasing. Maybe drop in some more dramatic clouds or something.

Bob Jarman wrote:
I like the treatment, but at first glance I see "Arnold" and the "Terminator" in the runner's face and grimace; an unfortunate mental imprinting in my case detracting from the overall image.

Is cognitive dissonance the proper term?

But, that is my problem.

regards,

Bob

I guess the "Arnold" face is present because of the city marathon this guy was running when i took the picture of him. It was near the end and I guess thats what a marathon does to you To see the different pictures the composite is made of, just click the image and look at my flickr.

Oct 10, 2012 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.