Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · How often do you switch AF points?

WAYCOOL
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How often do you switch AF points?

Every time what I'm focusing on changes position. One reason I never got a 5DMKII the focus system just didn't cut it.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How often do you switch AF points?

Lance Lee wrote:
When I used 40D class cameras, almost never. Not only did the outside points seem less reliable, but I found them hard to pick. Using the joystick in the diagonal direction was close to impossible.

You don't have to use the joystick. You can use the rear wheel to cycle through the AF points. With just 9 AF points it takes less than a second to cycle through all AF points. I have not used a 1D body much but of all the other bodies that I have used (30D/40D, 5D I/II, Various Nikon, Sony and Pentax DSLRs), I find the 40D AF selection to be the fastest and most convenient.

And yes on a 40D I changed AF points all the time. Not so much on some of the other cameras which have weak outer points.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How often do you switch AF points?

When shooting events/people (which it what it sounds like you plan to do) I change AF points a lot to adjust for changes in composition.

When I owned a 40D I did not hesitate to use any/all AF points with slower lenses or when stopping down (i.e. DOF was not really thin). With F/2.8 and faster lenses where I was shooting wide open I tried to stick to the center point more to get the benefit of the enhanced precision sensor.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:24 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How often do you switch AF points?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I will choose whatever AF point is best for the composition. I don't like to focus and recompose especially with very fast glass where DoF is an issue when recomposing.

Agreed!

With a lens like the 85 1.2 close to wide open, a "focus and recompose" strategy can move that 2-4 inch focus zone to an ear, etc. when you want it on one eye.

My success rate with focus and recompose in those situations was less than 50%. With AI Servo and the correct AF point, it is much, much higher.

Every camera offers a learning experience that takes some practice to learn. We have great tools today though with the 5D3 & 1DX! Even the T4i is finally pretty good (like the 60D & 7D.)

Best,
Michael

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How often do you switch AF points?

I shoot with a 5Dc so I only have one focus point

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How often do you switch AF points?

Sometimes a dozen times or more in a minute. Hundreds of times per day is not unusual.

EBH

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:00 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How often do you switch AF points?

Why is the sky blue

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How often do you switch AF points?

Very rarely. When I first got the 7D I used it often just because I could, but I find it easier to just use the centre point off the back button and recompose. I generally shoot at moderate apertures, if I were wide open I think I'd be swapping them around to ensure a more accurate focus.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How often do you switch AF points?

eskimochaos wrote:
Why is the sky blue

Light scattering. You didn't learn the Rayleigh's law formula back in school? If you don't remember the equation, at least keep in mind that the scattering is inversely proportional to the fourth power of the wavelength.

EBH

EBH

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How often do you switch AF points?

With my 7D I ride the joystick like a madman as it will lock in almost any light. The points on my 60D are also excellent albeit not as dense but I tend to lock-AF-recompose as the tap pads for selecting AF points is bothersome and I often miss. I select points n my 5D2 in decent light but resort to center-only when it gets dim.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How often do you switch AF points?

I found even on 5D II, unless light was quite low, outer points locked on fine in one shot, but where useless in servo under the same conditions. 5D II servo was centre point only, but with 5D III, 7D, 1D II/II/IV outer points work fine for servo, although my paranoia means as light drops I'll usually move back to centre point(s) for servo.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How often do you switch AF points?

With 7D all the time with my 5D II, 50% of the times.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM
campyone
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How often do you switch AF points?

I change center points quite often, it's relatively unusual with the landscape and architectural photography I mostly do to have the center point fall on the place where I want to focus. But I have a 1DsIII and I've found the outer focus points on that camera to be as reliable as the center point. With my 5DII, on which the outer points weren't consistently reliable, I resorted to focus-and-recompose more than switching to an outer focus point.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How often do you switch AF points?

Maybe 15 to 20 times a year.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:53 AM
Coltrane
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How often do you switch AF points?

Usually once or twice per outing or session.

Oct 11, 2012 at 02:30 PM
Nikhilrn90

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How often do you switch AF points?

Wow seems like this is a function whose use varies greatly between users. Had the chance to shoot a 7d this past weekend and must say the joystick and second click wheel is a life saver compared to the aperture and focus point adjustments on the T2i! Thank you for all the feedback!

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · How often do you switch AF points?

Gunzorro wrote:
Never -- either center point (80%) or manual focus with focus confirm if available (20%).

+1

I'm probably more 90/10 the...center point recompose!
Love Magic Lantern

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · How often do you switch AF points?

EB-1 wrote:
Sometimes a dozen times or more in a minute. Hundreds of times per day is not unusual.

EBH

this. it's just second nature at this point.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Gonemad

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · How often do you switch AF points?

I currently own 1D4/1D3 and used to own a 40D. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, 40D can accurately focus using an off-center AF point only with an f/2.8 or faster lens. That is, when using a 40D with a 24-105L F/4 lens, while it can focus using an off-center AF point, it's not always accurate unless you have good lighting and the subject isn't moving (more light portraiture setting). Now, 5D3/1DX/1D4 bodies have off-center cross-type focus points sensitive to F4 and faster lenses. I know I'm over-simplifying it a bit here, but read up on the various camera specs on the AF point sensitivity.

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:50 PM
csm
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · How often do you switch AF points?

Yes, constantly doing this too...I find it really helpful and fast.

Oct 16, 2012 at 02:56 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.