Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sigma 1.4x vs Kenko 1.4x?

CSStevens
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 1.4x vs Kenko 1.4x?

Hey all, planning on buying a 1.4x teleconverter. I have the Canon 70-200 2.8 but am purchasing the Sigma 300mm f2.8 very soon (or the 120-300mm f2.8) and was wondering if anyone has experience using both the Sigma or Kenko converters on both Canon and off-brand lenses.

I heard somewhere that the Sigma 1.4 doesn't work with the Canon 70-200 but not sure if that's true (though I know the Canon 1.4 won't work with some off brand lenses).

Anyways, any thoughts and input would be appreciated. Anyone with a 1.4 and an off brand 300mm f2.8 that could provide samples would be great too.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 1.4x vs Kenko 1.4x?

The Kenko Pro 1.4x TC is every bit as good as the Canon EF 1.4x Mk II Extender that I used to have. Both are slightly behind the new EF 1.4x III that I now have. The Kenko Pro will fit on any lens, as it doesn't have a protruding front element, which means you can also use it with Canon Extenders (the new Mk III Extenders won't stack together). I haven't used the Sigma TC.

P.S. based on considerable information that I've been able to find, I think the Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS would be the best buy. In fact, I just bought one. Hope to get it soon...

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:30 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 1.4x vs Kenko 1.4x?

I had done some testing comparing kenko dg pro 300 and canon 1.4xII. Kenko was a bit softer than canon in somewhat controlled testing but still quite good. ($20 bill using 300 F4IS on tripod

jcolwell wrote:
The Kenko Pro 1.4x TC is every bit as good as the Canon EF 1.4x Mk II Extender that I used to have. Both are slightly behind the new EF 1.4x III that I now have. The Kenko Pro will fit on any lens, as it doesn't have a protruding front element, which means you can also use it with Canon Extenders (the new Mk III Extenders won't stack together). I haven't used the Sigma TC.

P.S. based on considerable information that I've been able to find, I think the Sigma EX 120-300/2.8 OS would be the best buy. In fact,
...Show more

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:42 PM
CSStevens
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 1.4x vs Kenko 1.4x?

The Kenko seems to sound like the one to go with, and from what I've heard as well it performs very well.

The 120-300 from what I've read is around the same sharpness as the 300 2.8 prime, but the downside is that I've read about a lot of cases of the 120-300 not actually reaching 300mm, and resulting more around 260mm? Being able to zoom is a plus, but in most cases (i.e. field sports) I'd be using the 300 on my 1d3 (with or w/o the 1.4x depending on light) and the 70-200 on my 5d2, so it's not as important.

In the end, both seem like great options to the very costly Canon 300 2.8. On the flipside, I shoot for a newspaper so razor sharpness isn't necessary, just as long as it's relatively sharp. Though, I've used the 400mm 2.8 on some assignments and the quality is amazing ($10,000 of amazing, sadly).

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.