New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · TT1 and PWII

choiboyogg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TT1 and PWII

I have a question that I cannot find the answer for.

A friend of mine let me have his pocket wizard TT1 transmitter
I am trying to get the TT1 to fire my Plus II's on an Alien Bees system
Is this possible?

If I press test, the light triggers but on camera, it does not

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:04 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TT1 and PWII

First thing to keep in mind is that PW ControlTL (Mini and Flex) has a bit of a learning curve because you have to use their software to make sure all of your settings are where you want and need them to be. You may get frustrated but it works well after you get to know and understand it.

You have to make sure the TT1 is on the correct channel. By using a "Standard" channel you can use the TT1 to fire the Plus II. Your friend may have the TT1 set to channels that are not Standard. In any case you will have to download and review the settings using PocketWizards Utility program to set the channels. You also have the option set reset the TT1 to factory defaults that default some of the settings to ControlTL and Standard channels .... I know, very confusing

Here is a link to instructions on channels.

*** The last couple of lines state:

Receiving radios can only listen on one channel at a time; either ControlTL or Standard. If your transmitter is a MiniTT1 radio and you are triggering a remote radio that is expected to respond to E-TTL II commands, then you must use a ControlTL channel.

If your transmitter is a Plus II or MultiMAX radio, then use a Standard channel.

There are separate PocketWizard utility programs; one for Canon and one for Nikon.
See here

If you don't use Canon or Nikon you can still use the TT1 and Plus II in basic mode on Standard channels.

Peace,
Cordell

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TT1 and PWII

And the TT1 is a very small transmitter that is nice to use on a camera, with a low profile and no extended antenna to get in the way. I use the TT1 a lot to trigger standard channel devices, inculding MultiMax's and Profoto strobes with built in PocketWizard recievers. As mentioned you need to set up the TT1 using the software via the USB connection, but you have the option of setting two different channels, and choosing between them using the switch on the TT1. Your Plus II's are I think limited to just standard channels 1 through 4, so you want to pick ones in that range for your situation.

An important thing to remember is that the TT1 is made in different models for either Canon or Nikon, so contrary to what was mentioned above, my experience is that your camera brand needs to match the brand your TT1 was made for. I am pretty sure you are out of luck to make the TT1 act like a simple trigger device, because it must communicate with your camera properly in order to become configured to send a trigger signal out. And another thing you should do is to follow the recomended turn on sequence of the TT1 before the camera.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:52 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TT1 and PWII

Roland, the TT1 (and TT5) can be used as simple triggers in the Standard mode on any camera brand.....so says PW. They will not use the outer pins for any commands, only the center pin.

Per PW instructions (though I have no experience with this setting on different cameras and flashes):

"Basic Trigger Mode: Allows the MiniTT1 or FlexTT5 to work as a transmitter on ANY camera it will fit. Anyone looking for the small form factor of the MiniTT1 can use it on other DSLR’s, SLR’s or even medium format cameras with standard hot shoes. The MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 are completely reverse compatible with all previous PocketWizards so they will work with whatever PocketWizards you already own."

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM
choiboyogg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TT1 and PWII

Thank you guys for the help

Using the software helped with triggering the plus IIs

I tried it on my canons, works
Doesn't work on my nikons
I guess I can fiddle with it a little more

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TT1 and PWII

You should still be able to use it on your Nikon, and any other camera that has a traditional hotshoe (not all Sony's do....that's why I say traditional hotshoe).

You have to go to the "Misc" tab in the software and select "Basic Trigger Mode".

Say you want to use the PW with your Canon one day; you can have C1 without the Basic Trigger Mode set (EG remove the check mark). If you want to use your Nikon on a different day you can have C2 set to "Basic Trigger Mode". Simply select C1 or C2 depending on which camera you are using.

Bottom line, get to know the software to understand the TT1.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TT1 and PWII

You don't have to use the USB port and software to assign channels. The TT1 can learn from any other PW with by just pressing the test/learn button for a few seconds then firing the unit to learn from. I did this with my TT1 last week while working with some students in a lighting class. I normally use std chn 20 but needed std chn 1 for class. Simple procedure got me there.

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.