New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 1Dx Backup

gcuff
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1Dx Backup

I am considering upgrading to the 1Dx but was wondering what people use as a backup. I currently have the 1D IV, 5d III and the 7D. I am sure most people will say the 1d IV but that is a lot of camera to be just a backup (I am just a hobbyist). Seeing the 1Dx is stellar as both a wildlife and landscape camera (which are my interests), the backup would only be used infrequently where reach was necessary or when two lenses had to be at hand e.g. safari.

I was thinking of keeping the 7D. I know the controls are not the same, different batteries etc but its not a bad camera. Is this sensible?

Regards

Geoff

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1Dx Backup

Mine is the 1DIV. The 7D is not in the same class as the 1DX and 1DIV. I haven't used a 5DIII, yet I'm confident that the 5DIII is also a much better camera than the 7D, which I have owned and used extensively. YMMV.

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:52 AM
VladiD
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1Dx Backup

As a hobbyist, I wonder why you feel the need to have a backup body to the pro-level 1DX in the first place.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:03 AM
gcuff
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1Dx Backup

VladID:

Not sure I completely understand your reply. Are you suggesting I dont need a 1Dx which is possible Or are you suggesting I need only travel with 1 camera body? That seeems risky.

Regards

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:06 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1Dx Backup

I would keep the 1DIV as my backup.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:18 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1Dx Backup

If you can afford it, keep the 1D4 and the 5D3, and only part with the 7D. The extra reach of the 1D4 is useful in some situations, including wildlife which you mentioned. And the 5D3 is an ideal backup to the 1DX, having similar menu structures and similar features except for the frame rate. In the future, if you see a new camera that meets your backup needs, you might consider getting that and selling the 5D3.

If you do not think you need the reach, you could consider parting with the 1D4, but there may never be another pro grade high frame rate crop camera. I have a 1DX, but still also use my 1D4, and do not plan to part with it. My "other" camera besides those two is my 5D2, which is not just a backup, but is a primary camera when I do not want to haul along the much larger 1DX. I also shoot in situations where it is important to have two bodies along, each with different lenses mounted, and each in use as I change between them. That is another place where I want good capabilities in a second body, and it is not just a backup.

Edited on Oct 09, 2012 at 09:23 AM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:18 AM
John--G
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1Dx Backup

VladiD wrote:
As a hobbyist, I wonder why you feel the need to have a backup body to the pro-level 1DX in the first place.

Huh? Any camera can fail - anytime. It's not always about a paycheck. Even as a hobbyist my time is valuable as are the results. Can you imagine travelling 4 hours to the most important game of your kids life and to end up not being able to take photos because your camera had a problem? I once drove from PA to Florida for a 3-day Field Hockey tournament. Needless to say having backup equipment was very important.

If you shoot with one body you need two. If you shoot with two bodies then you need three.

To answer the original posters question - I find the MkIV quite suitable as a backup/second body to the 1D-X... or at least it is hanging in there until I can finance a second X.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1Dx Backup

Roland W wrote:
... I have a 1DX, but still also use my 1D4, and do not plan to part with it. My "other" camera besides those two is my 5D2, which is not just a backup, but is a primary camera when I do not want to haul along the much larger 1DX.

Same here.

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1Dx Backup

The only true 'backup' to anything is another of the same

I like a couple of others above question your reasons for a 'backup' .

If your looking for redundancy just in case the main body dies then unless your going to get another of the same you have to asks yourself . Will I be happy with the output of xxx (you can fill in the blank)
With your gear at the moment either the mk4 or the mk3 could do the job.

On the hand are wanting a 2nd body rather than a 'backup' . In which case pick the one that best offers you something else as well as a bit of redundancy.
The 5D3 offers a lot of the same but gives you a smaller package but a drop in fps while the mk4 offers you a slight 'reach' advantage of the crop sensor plus the f8 AF point

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:34 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1Dx Backup

I use a 5D3 alongside the 1DX. First, it's a very competent camera with pretty much the same UI and feature set. Also, it's different that it's suitable for other applications where the brick may be overkill or too loud.

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:54 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1Dx Backup

I have the 1DX and 1DMKIV and after using the 1DX I feel like I'll sell the MKIV, I like the 1DX so much more for it's quick AF. I also use a 1DsMKIII for portraits and I'm seriously thinking about selling it along with the MKIV and getting another 1DX to use for indoor portraits. Does this sound like a good idea? I know I can't get anything for the 1DsMKIII anymore and it's still a good camera but I'm so impressed with the 1DX as long as it's not full unmovable dust

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:07 AM
gcuff
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1Dx Backup

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
The only true 'backup' to anything is another of the same

I like a couple of others above question your reasons for a 'backup' .

If your looking for redundancy just in case the main body dies then unless your going to get another of the same you have to asks yourself . Will I be happy with the output of xxx (you can fill in the blank)
With your gear at the moment either the mk4 or the mk3 could do the job.

On the hand are wanting a 2nd body rather than a 'backup' . In which case pick the
...Show more

I suppose a little of both. Backup in the unlikely event that the 1Dx fails whilst travelling. 2nd camera perhaps for reach for wildlife / birds to use with my 500 f/4.

Thanks for your considered reposnse.

Geoff

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:10 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1Dx Backup

John P Mulgrew wrote:
I have the 1DX and 1DMKIV and after using the 1DX I feel like I'll sell the MKIV, I like the 1DX so much more for it's quick AF. I also use a 1DsMKIII for portraits and I'm seriously thinking about selling it along with the MKIV and getting another 1DX to use for indoor portraits. Does this sound like a good idea? I know I can't get anything for the 1DsMKIII anymore and it's still a good camera but I'm so impressed with the 1DX as long as it's not full unmovable dust

I can help you dispose the 1Ds III, and I will even give you a little more than nothing as well

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:14 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1Dx Backup

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:34 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1Dx Backup

For me personally, I'd get the 7D as a backup. It'd be nice to have the 1.6 reach factor and not have 3k sitting in a backup.

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:46 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1Dx Backup

I think the 1dIV is the best compromise given what you told us which is, "2nd camera in unlikely 1dx fail, little extra reach for 500mm f/4 and birds".

On the other hand you also mentioned that you were leaning toward keeping the 7d. If that's because you need the cash generated to purchase the 1dx, I think you already made your mind up. You obviously like the 7d or it wouldn't have a spot in your kit.

To me, the choice is either keep the 7d cause it's the most cost effective way to move to a 1dx, or keep the 1dIV because you're looking for a complimentary camera to the 1dx that can give you most of what you have on the new camera plus a 1.3 crop for "reach".

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1Dx Backup

martines34 wrote:
I would keep the 1DIV as my backup.

++1

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:01 PM
StevenF

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1Dx Backup

I didn't need over 11K in camera bodies so I sold the MkIV and have my MkIIn as a back-up.

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:14 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1Dx Backup

datousteve wrote:
For me personally, I'd get the 7D as a backup. It'd be nice to have the 1.6 reach factor and not have 3k sitting in a backup.

that would be my choice but a used 1D4 also makes a good backup

Oct 10, 2012 at 06:09 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1Dx Backup

Focus on the fact that it is a backup.

I think your thinking is coming from a negative side of the purpose of camera fail. Yes, any camera can fail. However, the chances are slim that it will. Since you are a hobbyist nearly any backup you choose will do just fine because it is a "backup". It's not for critical things such as a paid gig. It's for playtime.

With that in mind I would say the 7D is much more than adequate. Again, it's a backup which means "in case of failure from the primary". There are plenty of wildlife and sports shooters using the 7D with great results because they have great glass to match or exceed. I can't see how you can go wrong with the 7D for THIS purpose.

If you were using the non-primary in tandem with your primary I can see the issue. In that case I would look for something that is a duplicate (as already mentioned....another 1DX) or something that is nearly equal, which of course the 7D is not.

Oct 10, 2012 at 08:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.