New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · EOS 20D current value?

ZoneV_Nikon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS 20D current value?

I'm still looking for a Canon DSLR but it got put on hold due to budget (Nikon user adding Canon gear very slowly). Someone I know might be selling their 20D.

How much is a 20D body alone worth today in various conditions / shutter counts?
And how much would the vertical grip add?

I was hoping $150 would be a decent offer.

Finally, is it possible to check shutter count online for the 20D?

Thanks.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:04 PM
shawngilson

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS 20D current value?

I think $150 would be a decent offer if it's body only. Check out ebay or craigslist and see what they are going for. They look to me, to be going for a range from $89 to $250 depending on what they are offering with it.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:12 PM
wsheldon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS 20D current value?

I agree - $150 seems to be fair for a 20D in average condition without accessories. Did you check for BuySell forum here at FM?

As for shutter counts, I've used EOSInfo (http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx) to profile my old 20D and it worked fine. Not fancy, but it's free and you just need it once.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:20 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS 20D current value?

shawngilson wrote:
I think $150 would be a decent offer if it's body only. Check out ebay or craigslist and see what they are going for. They look to me, to be going for a range from $89 to $250 depending on what they are offering with it.

Yeah, it's not worth all that much anymore. That's why I gave my 20D to my daughter instead of selling it. It makes a great camera for her to learn about photography and using the computer to view and process photos. Took some great pics with it.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:07 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS 20D current value?

Keh.com has the 10D for about $120 and the 30D for about $275 in EX condition.
The 20D should fall somewhere between the two so $150 should be a good price.

The grip? If you can find one, they may be as expensive as the camera. Unless the body alone is way too small for your grip, you might could survive without one.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS 20D current value?

I'm not sure where you're located, but here in SD, I see a couple of them on CL. I'm tempted too @ $200 with OEM grip. Haven't had the time to check it out though.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:33 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS 20D current value?

20D owners were not likely to be pros so shutter counter is unlikely to be high. In the day when I used a 10D I was able to borrow a 20D for half of a model shoot..and preferred the 10D.

My strong suggestion is you save a bit more and get the 40D...that is a quality camera.....I bought one awhile ago and see no reason to get another DSLR....although I am sure there are better bodies...just not for my needs.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:38 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS 20D current value?

Thinking about it I have to agree... image quality on the 10D was a little better than the 20D but wasn't the 20D the first to use EF-S lenses?

If memory serves me correctly, you saw a noticeable image quality improvement on the 30D and feature bump with the 40D.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS 20D current value?

I recall upgrading from a 10D to 20D and sure liked 20D IQ, responsiveness, high ISO and AF a lot more. With the 10D AF seemed to miss more often than hit whereas the 20D nailed it most of the time. I took so many pics with both cameras I still process a few of the RAW files and 20D files need less strokin' to look good. To me the 20D was the first DSLR with good enough IQ and AF I finally let go of my film cameras.

I did upgrade to the 40D a couple years later and, while it was a better camera in terms of AF (outer points mainly) and LCD size, the IQ improvement was marginal. It does have LV but the 511 battery is pretty feeble and LV eats them fast.

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:02 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS 20D current value?

anthonygh wrote:
20D owners were not likely to be pros so shutter counter is unlikely to be high. In the day when I used a 10D I was able to borrow a 20D for half of a model shoot..and preferred the 10D.

My strong suggestion is you save a bit more and get the 40D...that is a quality camera.....I bought one awhile ago and see no reason to get another DSLR....although I am sure there are better bodies...just not for my needs.

Not true actually. Many pros used the 20d, myself included. Full frame was not a justified expense for many of us when the 20D first came out.

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:27 AM
robsuh
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS 20D current value?

20d was a sweet value back in the day and the pricing right now is nuts. I see them around $170 on CL in Seattle.

Though I would stretch for the 40D if you can find one for around $300-$350.

The *much* larger LCD, dust shake off sensor, all cross point AF and 10MP are big steps up.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS 20D current value?

I went through 20D, 30D and 40D cameras. The 20D is a fine product, but I agree that the 40D is worth the extra money. Of course, a 20D in the hand is worth more than a virtual 40D somewhere else...

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:44 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS 20D current value?

coppertop wrote:
If memory serves me correctly, you saw a noticeable image quality improvement on the 30D and feature bump with the 40D.

I don't think there was any perceptible difference between the IQ of the 20D and the 30D let alone a 'noticeable' one.
They were Basicly the same sensor (although the 30 may have had picture styles I can't remember if the 20D did or not)
I had a 350D which was the same sensor as the 20D and bought a 30D which I promptly sold again as I could see no difference in IQ and could not justify the 30D . The things like the bigger LCD , FPS and buffer (something I think was the biggest upgrade over the 20D) we nice though.

The 40D however that I got a while afterwards was a big improvement in all areas. (But then I think the same about the 7D over my old 40D )

Actually I think of all the 1.6 crop cams the biggest leaps in all areas of usability and IQ have been
10D - 40D (although I think the rebel Xsi had te better sensor) - 7D

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:31 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS 20D current value?

By the way Zone(OP) looking at what you have posted on here previously if I was in your shoes I'd hold out and find a nice 5D.
I know it's more budget but it will make some of that great canon (old) glass you seem to play around with really shine

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EOS 20D current value?

coppertop wrote:

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I don't think there was any perceptible difference between the IQ of the 20D and the 30D let alone a 'noticeable' one.

There's no IQ difference at all between the 20D and 30D. The step from 20D to 30D was in features, especially higher sustained throughput and LCD size & brightness. The step from 30D to 40D was new sensor, more pixels and better IQ (IMO, better than 7D).

I posted a review of the 30D in comparison with the 20D on photo.net, way back when the 30D was new.

"30D first impressions and rapid shooting tests."
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FhNl

Oct 09, 2012 at 08:48 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EOS 20D current value?

I've purchased 2 20D's in the lat 6 months. I paid 175 for one with the grip. 125 for one without. Both were for friends looking for a decent product to get their kids started on photography. Both came with multiple batteries and the charger, nothing else. 150's probably fair, but I wouldn't consider it a steal.

As far as features, the 30D had a spot meter too I think...For my money, the 40D is the best bang for buck camera right now. If you don't mind a smaller screen, weird batteries and heavy, get a 1dII. They can be had around 400 right now. Best IQ for the $$ out there. Just make sure it includes a charger.

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EOS 20D current value?

I still use a 20D, and works just like it did when I bought it.I did pickup a 1DMk2 as well, and its a sweet camera indeed. I've been looking for a replacement for my 20D, but I'm not in a great rush, as my 20D images hold up very well, even today. May pick up a 5D as well, besides I'm use to that small screen now, and not much chimping anyways
Theres no way I'd ever let mine go for any price, especially $150.00.
It isn't a good camera, its a great camera !

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EOS 20D current value?

I recall my impressions when I moved from a 10D to a 20D as being a marked improvement in shutter lag, and turnon time. I always shot in RAW and recently I have gone back and reprocessed my 20D files with CS6 and ACR 7.2 which really shows a marked improvement over the eariler PS versions. I think if I was in need of a less expensive camera, I would not hesitate to get another 20D. Its a lot of camera for $150.00. I bought a 40D and perhaps it had suttle problems, I didn't care for it and dumped it very soon for a 5D which I happly used for a couple of years until the 1DSIII came along.

Here is an image from my 20D shot in 2004, RAW > JPG with ACR 7.2
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2088441/_MG_0679.jpg

Regards

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:18 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EOS 20D current value?

The 20D was the DSLR that got me to sell off my EOS film bodies and not look back. The IQ, handling, "instant on" and lack of noticeable shutter lag were real game changers IMO. I love the improvements in my 50D and do find the IQ significantly better at mid-ISO, but the 20D is still a great body and I'd use it without hesitation in a pinch.

I also agree it's a great body to learn on - I gave mine to my teenage son rather than sell it. At <$200 it's a great first or extra body.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:14 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EOS 20D current value?

I had mine collecting dust for a while until I decided to convert it to IR. So I opened it up with the help of an online step by step photographed article and replaced the hot mirror with an IR filter.
It gave it a new life and o ly cost me the $30 for the filter plus one hour of work!
Much better than selling it for peanuts..

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.