FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · The End of Facebook Marketing

RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Sorry for you all here on this board who are using this feature but I wouldn't be surprised if some of my competitors have been - like what it appears you have been doing - "gaming the system" to the detriment of those not using social media.

I'm not a significant Facebook user (either personally or for business). I have a business Facebook presence, but none of my client leads come from Facebook.

Yet, I don't understand your point. Using Facebook as it is designed is not "gaming the system." Facebook has "business page" capability that had a particular feature set that people were using as designed.

And even if someone did "game the system" (which means using it inappropriately), that would be to the detriment only of those who were using Facebook as designed rather than those not using it at all. That's like saying someone who has a website is "gaming the system" to the detriment of those who don't know what the Internet is.

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:05 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Ignore him. He just comes here to post jerkoff responses to nearly every thread. He doesn't understand that this one is not ALL about marketing for everyone taking part. Some of us want ALL our clients to be able to see our images (like they request) - while we also get a little insight and feedback from the responses.

The point is our fans request to see and share the images and Facebook doesn't seem to understand that. They just see dollar signs by regulation and limitation of reach. It's just sad. Now, clients that have become friends, who enjoy looking at our work, do not see our business page posts unless they are tagged. I think most of us tag the clients that are in the images. Therefore, the interaction is severely limited without reason - outside the almighty buck.

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:29 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · The End of Facebook Marketing

The point is our fans request to see and share the images and Facebook doesn't seem to understand that. They just see dollar signs by regulation and limitation of reach. It's just sad. Now, clients that have become friends, who enjoy looking at our work, do not see our business page posts unless they are tagged. I think most of us tag the clients that are in the images. Therefore, the interaction is severely limited without reason - outside the almighty buck.

The problem comes from seeing customer service as a profit center (like Canon changing its Professional Service into a profit center).

Facebook has not yet learned how to monetize its most important asset: User interest and activity data. They are sitting on a unique goldmine of information that they haven't figured out how to monetize, so they're falling back on old-time methods as old as soap opera radio. They're trying to make money the same way "The Lone Ranger" radios shows did...merely selling advertising space.

Oct 14, 2012 at 05:16 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Mark Cuban is also complaining about it:
http://readwrite.com/2012/11/13/mark-cuban-facebooks-sponsored-posts-are-driving-away-brands

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:58 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · The End of Facebook Marketing

IN the past 2-3 weeks, FB has become saturated with spam infomercials. I can't even enjoy the iPad app any more because sponsored spam fills it up. It's quickly becoming another Craigslist.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:50 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · The End of Facebook Marketing

I gather that under the new system, FB posts will only appear in the newsfeeds of a small percentage of your friends/followers (random 15% I think), unless you pay to promote them.

I think it only affects the newsfeed - I think tagging still works, and people can still see all your posts if they go to your FB wall.

Stupid greedy FB, but I guess FB is free for most users and you get what you pay for. Now we need everyone to jump ship to the next big thing...

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:06 PM
spink
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · The End of Facebook Marketing

HappyCamp wrote:
Mark Cuban is also complaining about it:
http://readwrite.com/2012/11/13/mark-cuban-facebooks-sponsored-posts-are-driving-away-brands

From that link:
It's Not A Shakedown - We're Trying To Fight Spam
Facebook insists it isn't choking off reach as a way to push brands to spend more on sponsored posts

I call BS because I see this too:

amonline wrote:
IN the past 2-3 weeks, FB has become saturated with spam infomercials. I can't even enjoy the iPad app any more because sponsored spam fills it up. It's quickly becoming another Craigslist.

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:22 PM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · The End of Facebook Marketing

amonline wrote:
My guess is advertisers are jumping ship, and FB is seeking a way to stay afloat. I really do think there's a new wave coming with MySpace and Google Plus. Here's where we get to see who takes advantage of FB's stupidity. Personally, I'm hoping G+ makes out like a bandit if FB doesn't stop their antics.

I agree with this. I can't feel sorry for FB when they used hype to earn money becoming a publicly traded entity. I'll continue to take advantage of what's free, then I'll start spending more time at Google+.

Bruce

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:09 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · The End of Facebook Marketing

I can't wait until FB dies.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:55 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.