Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2012 · The End of Facebook Marketing

TomHarmon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Yeah, looks like they're working again. I've seen a bunch in my feed today.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:08 PM
spink
• • •
p.5 #2 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Sergio Mottola wrote:
having great success with sponsored posts

I tried this for the first time this week. It got 6000+ views and got me 6 new likes. Problem is I have people from all over the planet viewing my post and liking pictures (Nepal, India, Mexico). Not really a bad thing but I would rather target my posts to, you know, the people that like my page in my area?!?!

At least this was better performance than I saw from the facebook ads. Man, such a waste of money.

Spencer.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Ryan Britton
• • •
p.5 #3 · The End of Facebook Marketing

It definitely wasn't an accident on their side. This was in their weekly email that just came through:

Tip: Want an easy way to get more out of your Facebook Page? Many businesses have found success using promoted posts to increase store traffic and grow revenue. See how.

Oct 11, 2012 at 02:57 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Apparently, they switched it back today. I hope it sticks.

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Matt B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · The End of Facebook Marketing

spink wrote:
I tried this for the first time this week. It got 6000+ views and got me 6 new likes. Problem is I have people from all over the planet viewing my post and liking pictures (Nepal, India, Mexico). Not really a bad thing but I would rather target my posts to, you know, the people that like my page in my area?!?!

At least this was better performance than I saw from the facebook ads. Man, such a waste of money.

Spencer.

If this is the case, then you unfortunately failed to utilize the "advanced targeting" features of your ad and limit the audience that sees your advertised post.

I agree with Sergio, if done correctly the advertising feature of FB can generate pretty significant results.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
visnew

p.5 #6 · The End of Facebook Marketing

WSJ has an article on Facebook's pay to promote feature. While the article does talk about some positive features about the Promoted Post program, they include interviews with disgruntled small business owners.

Oct 11, 2012 at 05:16 PM
saelee
• •
p.5 #7 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Here is an article from fstopper. Interesting read as well.
http://fstoppers.com/facebook-changes-trouble-business-page-owners

Oct 11, 2012 at 05:28 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · The End of Facebook Marketing

The problem I have with the "pay to promote" is it only reaches people that "like" you. Why should we pay for promoting to people who already request to see our posts? FB has no right to invoke regulations like this. Well, they do... but they're going to alienate a bunch of people.

The marketing ad campaign is common sense when you want to reach people that DON'T know about you. Still you are paying to reach people through friends, so the reach is still limited.

I agree completely with the disgruntled people speaking out. Facebook has no right to yank our relationship links on a personal level just to attempt to make a buck. After all, those people/friends request to see our posts.

My guess is advertisers are jumping ship, and FB is seeking a way to stay afloat. I really do think there's a new wave coming with MySpace and Google Plus. Here's where we get to see who takes advantage of FB's stupidity. Personally, I'm hoping G+ makes out like a bandit if FB doesn't stop their antics.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:26 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · The End of Facebook Marketing

amonline wrote:
The problem I have with the "pay to promote" is it only reaches people that "like" you. Why should we pay for promoting to people who already request to see our posts? FB has no right to invoke regulations like this. Well, they do... but they're going to alienate a bunch of people.

The marketing ad campaign is common sense when you want to reach people that DON'T know about you. Still you are paying to reach people through friends, so the reach is still limited.

I agree completely with the disgruntled people speaking out. Facebook has no right to
...Show more

+1

....but if anyone was paying attention, this kind of move was obvious as soon as they decided to go public. They have to satisfy the unhappy shareholders with something that generates income. I knew "something" would happen that would affect small businesses in a monetary way

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:43 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · The End of Facebook Marketing

cordellwillis wrote:
+1

....but if anyone was paying attention, this kind of move was obvious as soon as they decided to go public. They have to satisfy the unhappy shareholders with something that generates income. I knew "something" would happen that would affect small businesses in a monetary way

True. I expected something... just wasn't sure what route they'd take. I REALLY expected something when the value started to tank.

Oct 11, 2012 at 07:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

spink
• • •
p.5 #11 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Matt B. wrote:
If this is the case, then you unfortunately failed to utilize the "advanced targeting" features of your ad and limit the audience that sees your advertised post.

I agree with Sergio, if done correctly the advertising feature of FB can generate pretty significant results.

Are you talking about advertisements? I'm pretty sure there is no way to target a promoted ad. I went back and checked every option and can't see it if there is.

amonline wrote:

This makes me pretty angry too...

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · The End of Facebook Marketing

spink wrote:
This makes me pretty angry too...

Time to look into new avenues.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Juliewhitlock

p.5 #13 · The End of Facebook Marketing

I don't know why they can't just come up with an optional level Facebook business account. Charge me $20.00 per months and give me features above and beyond. Better photos, customization options etc. That's guaranteed income for them and less hassle for me!

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM
ZachOly
• •
p.5 #14 · The End of Facebook Marketing

I'd move to G+ if they had the audience, but they don't and I don't see a mass migration to G+ unless FB really drops the ball hard. And even then, would G+ come out ahead of the new myspace?

For me, I'm better off posting one photo from a shoot on my personal FB wall, writing a short blurb and tagging that individual/individuals. The problem here is that I don't know what my stats are and I don't know how many people I'm truly reaching. The other method is to watermark your photos and give them to the client to post on FB as an album and market via word of mouth.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:50 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · The End of Facebook Marketing

amonline wrote:

When I've promoted, it tells me it'll be shown to people who like me, and their friends. It also forces the post to be seen in their newsfeed multiple times, with hopes an action has been produced.

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:49 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.5 #16 · The End of Facebook Marketing

sboerup wrote:
When I've promoted, it tells me it'll be shown to people who like me, and their friends. It also forces the post to be seen in their newsfeed multiple times, with hopes an action has been produced.

I said that in the next sentence.

amonline wrote:
...The marketing ad campaign is common sense when you want to reach people that DON'T know about you. Still you are paying to reach people through friends, so the reach is still limited...

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Matt B.
• • •
p.5 #17 · The End of Facebook Marketing

spink wrote:
Are you talking about advertisements? I'm pretty sure there is no way to target a promoted ad. I went back and checked every option and can't see it if there is.

Every time I've created an ad (of any type), one of the first set of choices I make fall under "Choose your audience." The options are to limit the ad's reach to individuals based on Countries, States, Cities, or Zip Codes. Beyond that I can choose from a multitude of other options including individuals already connected to my page, individuals NOT connected to my page, or the previously stated "friend of friends who are connected to my page."

There are hundreds of options for targeting who sees your posts, which is what makes the advertising so effective (at least for me).

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.5 #18 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Well, that didn't last long. They changed it back again. No more business albums without $$$$$. It actually asked me to promote this morning's album. Greedy bastards. It also does not allow your business tags to show now... or your personal tags. What utter bullsh!t. The only thing you can do is share the link on your own timeline. How weak. Time for Google +.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM
TomHarmon
• • •
p.5 #19 · The End of Facebook Marketing

But no one is on google +. I can't see how it's more effective than Facebook right now.

Oct 14, 2012 at 04:49 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · The End of Facebook Marketing

Just getting the bricks in place. Will do a MS page too when it launches. It's just a matter of time before FB shoots themselves in the foot. Doesn't hurt to prepare.

Oct 14, 2012 at 06:38 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password