Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Lens kit for BC Ski trip?

lighthawk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Lens kit for BC Ski trip?

Wow, I should have noticed there were three additional comments. From October!
Thanks, guys! Good comments all around.

I leave on Friday, so my gear is now pared down to 7D with 15-85 for most skiing, if it's not too much. It's mounted with a Cotton Carrier on the shoulder strap of my Deuter 35L ski pack. (plus shovel, probe, beacon, skins, down jacket, two insulated bottles). I've been touring locally with this rig, climbing a few 1000-2000' ascents. It's ok, but can be tiring. I had bought a zing pro-DSLR cover, but don't think it will work with the harness I have, only for in the pack storage. At least if it's not snowing hard, I should be able to do the uphill part of the tour with the camera very conveniently mounted to my pack.

Total lens selection is four, including the 15-85. I am also bringing a 35 f2 (short, light, sharp to 9" MFD). I also borrowed a Sigma 10-20 which hardly changes length and it a great landscape lens. Overlap with the 15-85 isn't important, as I will only carry one each particular day. Lastly, I'm sneaking in the 70-200 f4is.

I'm struggling with the tripod. I want it, but don't think I can fit within my 65# weight limit (all skis, packs, clothes, gear). I'm going with a mini-Manfrotto + RRS mini-ball. I'll bring one RRS plate and bolt that to the 7D or G10 for nighttime shots around the hut.

And as suggested above, I'm bringing my G10, which may be all I want for the big days when we're climbing 3000-4000'. I don't want to be the slow guy hanging on the back of the pack.

BTW: I did consider my 5Dc, but the dang batteries just die when exposed to cold temps. My 7D shot 350 shots yesterday in 25F temps and still had 67% battery today. I'm bringing three batteries, BTW. Planning on carrying two + one back at the hut ready to go.

Russ mentioned using overmitts. Yes! That has been my solution for years. With my cold fingers, I need external warmth to cut it, even in 30F temps. Solution: heat pack inside each liner glove on back of hand, then use insulated overmitts over that. If really cold, lob another heat pack loose into the overmitt. Also, I will be carrying 40 oz of boiling water in a metal bottle snuggled inside my down parka in my pack. Another safety against frozen fingers . . .

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:31 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password