Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

roberto1979
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

I'm currently shooting a 5D2 and a 7D. 95% of my photography is landscape stuff, and compared to the 5D2, the 7D just doesn't cut it. I was going to buy a 5D3, but the 6D looks like an excellent alternative. Significant savings, and some really cool features like WiFi and GPS. The .9 MP decrease doesn't really concern me at all. I am hoping that the overall DR has gone up with the all new sensor though.

Overall I'm excited, and the big savings over the 5D3 means I'm that much closer to adding the new 24-70 2.8!!!

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:54 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

roberto1979 wrote:
I'm currently shooting a 5D2 and a 7D. 95% of my photography is landscape stuff, and compared to the 5D2, the 7D just doesn't cut it. I was going to buy a 5D3, but the 6D looks like an excellent alternative. Significant savings, and some really cool features like WiFi and GPS. The .9 MP decrease doesn't really concern me at all. I am hoping that the overall DR has gone up with the all new sensor though.

Overall I'm excited, and the big savings over the 5D3 means I'm that much closer to adding the new 24-70 2.8!!!

What is lacking in your current 5d2 for landscape photography that will be improved by the 6D? You'll be taking a big hit in price for what gain?

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:38 PM
roberto1979
• • •
p.1 #3 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

I'm not selling the 5D2. I need a second full frame, and the 6D looks like the ticket to me.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:42 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #4 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

chez wrote:
What is lacking in your current 5d2 for landscape photography that will be improved by the 6D? You'll be taking a big hit in price for what gain?

Exactly my question. Use 5D2 for macro (flowers) &
landscape. 5d3 for action. Why switch to 6D?

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:44 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

If the 6D has noticeably better DR than the 5D2 great. If not I don't see its going to be clearly better for landscape photography.

I'm not knocking the 6D, at least once the price drops, but it remains to be seen what it brings to the table to beat the 5D2, a four year old camera.

Oct 07, 2012 at 06:00 PM
roberto1979
• • •
p.1 #6 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

I'm not switching from the 5D2 to the 6D. I'm switching from the 7D to the 6D.

Oct 07, 2012 at 06:08 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #7 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

If they have improved the shadow detail and high ISO performance it may be worth a change from the 5DII (I know you are talking about switching the 7D, which I can totally see if you don't need the FPS or AF).

Oct 07, 2012 at 06:18 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

roberto1979 wrote:
I'm not switching from the 5D2 to the 6D. I'm switching from the 7D to the 6D.

Why not pick up another used 5d2 for under $1500? Personally, I would wait at least 6 months for all the bugs to be out of the 6d before even looking at it. That makes it around next summer. You can be shooting with a 2nd 5d2 today for less money.

Oct 07, 2012 at 06:40 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #9 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

Just mentioning, if the 6D does demonstrate some sort of sensor advance, why wasn't it in the 5D III? And wouldn't putting it in the 6D piss off 5D III buyers?

That said, I'm still illogically hoping to see some kind of sensor improvement in the 6D. Seems really improbable, though.

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

garydavidjones wrote:
5d3 for action. Why switch to 6D?

Because the OP said: roberto1979 wrote:
I was going to buy a 5D3, but the 6D looks like an excellent alternative. Significant savings,......

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

6D sample jpgs look great but we dont know how much DR it has and how processed they are.

It would make a decent light landscape camera though, lets hope magic lantern runs on it..

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:02 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

RobDickinson wrote:
6D sample jpgs look great but we dont know how much DR it has and how processed they are.

It would make a decent light landscape camera though, lets hope magic lantern runs on it..

Unless the sensor has much better quality at low ISO, I'd much rather get a used 5d2 for less than $1500 and spend the difference on glass.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #13 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

A lot depends on the 6D's sensor. If it is an improvement on the 5D2&3 then you might think that picking up a 5D2 now was a mistake, but if it is more of the same then a 5D2 now makes a lot of sense.
As we don't know how good this sensor is sitting and waiting for more information is all we can do. My impressions are that there will be some improvement, otherwise why go to the trouble of building a new one that performs the same as the old? And there is a little catch up to the competion needed too. I think I'd be waiting.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:55 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

Building a new one may be down to cost savings than quality.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:59 AM
bbasiaga
• •
p.1 #15 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

If it weren't for the super sale on the 5D MKIII that I snagged, I would have been waiting for a 6D. The feature set is a very nice upgrade from what I had (5d and 40D) and the built in wi-fi was a great touch. The improved high ISO performance would be nice over the MKII, which i never felt was a 'must upgrade' better feature set than the original 5D.

-Brian

Oct 08, 2012 at 01:49 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #16 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

From Canon's standpoint, building a new one could be a twofer. On the one hand, they get to refresh profits by cheapifying the old one to cut costs. On the other hand, they get rid of a marketing embarrassment. It would be disconcerting to people who bought the 5D II to see it continuously on sale at a price low enough to make it a viable competitor to the Nikon D600—something that would probably require a price point even lower than the steeply discounted price now affixed to the last of the 5D II line—while also seeming to concede that Canon is helpless to move past 4-year-old technology.

Note that those marketing dynamics do not suggest attractive technical improvements in the 6D that have gone mysteriously unmentioned in Canon's publicity.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:56 AM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #17 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

6D indeed is a great landscape camera. It's kinda 5D Mk 2.3 :-)

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:42 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

roberto1979 wrote:

If you're serious about landscape shooting and you want to add an inexpensive new body, you owe it to yourself to look at the D600. From what I've seen so far (have not used one) it looks like the DR is impressive and once again exceeds Canon's capabilities, it's a more full featured camera compared to a 6d in most other ways, and will do more for the end result.

Sure you'd need to add another lens or two, but if the images can yield better IQ after adjustment, then it makes a lot of sense.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:14 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

jamesf99 wrote:
If you're serious about landscape shooting and you want to add an inexpensive new body, you owe it to yourself to look at the D600. From what I've seen so far (have not used one) it looks like the DR is impressive and once again exceeds Canon's capabilities, it's a more full featured camera compared to a 6d in most other ways, and will do more for the end result.

Sure you'd need to add another lens or two, but if the images can yield better IQ after adjustment, then it makes a lot of sense.

Not just another lens or two, another GOOD/GREAT lens or two. No point using a good camera if you don't pair it with a good lens. Thing is, that usually translates to "very expensive".

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:55 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #20 · 6D looks like a great landscape camera!

roberto1979 wrote:

jamesf99 wrote:

n0b0 wrote:
Not just another lens or two, another GOOD/GREAT lens or two. No point using a good camera if you don't pair it with a good lens. Thing is, that usually translates to "very expensive".

I started buying Nikon mount landscape lenses for my Canon cameras a couple of years ago. Inexpensive superb primes like the Cosina Voigtlander 58 mm and 90 mm SL II lenses. Best lens investment ever.

Oct 08, 2012 at 01:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password