Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

karmaportrait

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

Can't seem to find any recent threads on this topic.

I'm specifically curious about the EN-EL4/EN-EL4a replacements. Previous threads from years ago seem to indicate that the longevity over the course of a year of these can be questionable.

Does anyone have any recent experience?

Also, I've seen the "You're spending X on a camera why skimp $140+ on batteries" arguments, I just kindly ask to stay on topic here. I'm moving out of the country and every dollar counts.

Thanks!

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:04 PM
DGC1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

I received one when I bought my used D3. I am afraid to use it. I have used the replacements for the D1X from Battery Barn for years with no issues. I just do not trust third party electronics.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #3 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

DGC1 wrote:
I received one when I bought my used D3. I am afraid to use it. I have used the replacements for the D1X from Battery Barn for years with no issues. I just do not trust third party electronics.

Tons of quality third party electronics out there. If you have any sort of a budget it's a smart move to seek out the good 3rd party offerings.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:15 PM
jagercola

p.1 #4 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

I'm also wondering if they have cracked the EN-EL15 battery so that third party batteries can work in the camera.

Oct 07, 2012 at 06:05 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #5 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

I assume the Nikon battery is lithium-ion? There have been many instances of cheap third party batteries for consumer goods catching fire, or even exploding. There has been at least one death when a phone battery exploded. I would only use a third party battery bought from a UK shop (or US if I lived there) with a reputable brand name on the side. If the voltage regulator goes AWOL, you will have a fire/explosion on your hands.

Oct 07, 2012 at 07:07 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #6 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

LeifG wrote:
I assume the Nikon battery is lithium-ion? There have been many instances of cheap third party batteries for consumer goods catching fire, or even exploding. There has been at least one death when a phone battery exploded. I would only use a third party battery bought from a UK shop (or US if I lived there) with a reputable brand name on the side. If the voltage regulator goes AWOL, you will have a fire/explosion on your hands.

+1

Also look at the number of third party grips that have fried camera bodies as well. No thanks !

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fpimentel
• •
p.1 #7 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

karmaportrait wrote:
Can't seem to find any recent threads on this topic.

I'm specifically curious about the EN-EL4/EN-EL4a replacements. Previous threads from years ago seem to indicate that the longevity over the course of a year of these can be questionable.

Does anyone have any recent experience?

Also, I've seen the "You're spending X on a camera why skimp $140+ on batteries" arguments, I just kindly ask to stay on topic here. I'm moving out of the country and every dollar counts.

Thanks!

I used the so-called generic Nikon batteries with a D300 and a D700 (the same type) and my impression was that they lasted less vis-a-vis the original Nikon batteries. During the past two years (with a D3s and more recently with a D800) I have been using ONLY Nikon original batteries and I will not buy generic batteries again. I do prefer to pay more and avoid frustrating problems.

FP

Oct 07, 2012 at 11:58 PM
KABeach
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

Over the years I've purchased several 3rd party EN-EL4 and EN-EL4a batteries, and for the most part they were junk.

I finally threw in the towel after buying a pair of Pearstone batteries. They each lasted a few weeks and would just die mid-shoot. No warning, nothing. After several replacement batteries did the same thing, I just chucked them in the recycle bin. They weren't even worth my time.

I'll stick with OEM from now on....

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:18 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

I had an OEM battery fail on me wouldn't charge, wouldn't do anything. Local camera store had a promaster brand that got me through the rest of the weeks work. And now over a year later it's still the longest lasting battery for my D3s. I do keep an original Nikon as a backup, but have not needed it.

My D4 has two OEM batteries for it.

Matt

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:34 AM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

karmaportrait wrote:
Also, I've seen the "You're spending X on a camera why skimp $140+ on batteries" arguments

Wow, that's daylight robbery. I estimate that's about a 10,000% markup.

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:41 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #11 · Success with generic Nikon batteries?

Graham Mitchell wrote:
Wow, that's daylight robbery. I estimate that's about a 10,000% markup.

I didn't realise how much they cost. Yes, they are ripping us off.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password