New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Hi All,

I was out with my son on a Cub-Scouts camping trip this weekend. We went hiking and durring the hike the tripod collar lock screw fell off but I did not notice until we got back to the camp site ... I thought it was a captive screw and would not fall off, but somehow that mechanism failed and it indeed fell off.

The thing now is I need to replace it. Any idea where to get a replacement? I can't seem to find anyone whom sells them.

Cheers,
Andre

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:25 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Hmm, mine does seem to be captive. I sure don/t want to try and force it off though it feels like I might be able to do just that. Suggest you bring the lens with you to your local hardware store and ask for a set screw or thumb screw and fiddle in the bins till you find one that fits. It won't have the fancy top knob on but it won't cost 20 bucks either. The threads should be a standard size. The tripod mount screw is a 1/4-20, that will be a place to start.

"Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance" aluminum can shims.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Nikon won't sell them any more, so it won't be $20, it would be a trip back to the factory repair center.

I vote with Neddie - see if you can't find a knob with set screw at the hardware store.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:08 PM
KBeeson

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Tell them you're looking for a knurled black plastic thumbscrew. I'll bet that your local Ace Hardware has them for around $5. You'll never be able to tell the difference.

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Steve464

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

If it is like the locking screw for the 80-200, you probably won't find a replacement in the USA as it is metric, M5 thread.

It should also have an E ring groove in it, the device that captivates it.

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Steve464

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

If it is like the locking screw for the 80-200, you probably won't find a replacement in the USA as it is metric, M5 thread.

It should also have an E ring groove in it, the device that captivates it.

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Oh dear! You're right, there's no way you can find metric threaded fasteners in the US... What COULD I have been thinking?

Andre, looks like you're going to have to make a trip to Japan to fix this. Can I come with you?

And if all you need to do is keep the thing from rotating then a set screw without a groove will work just fine. The e-ring is obviously broken and gone or the screw wouldn't have fallen out in the first place. You don't have to be McGiver to make this work.

Oct 08, 2012 at 01:02 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

RCicala wrote:
Nikon won't sell them any more, so it won't be $20, it would be a trip back to the factory repair center.

This is exactly what Thom Hogan calls "customer antagonistic."

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

lara_ckl wrote:
This is exactly what Thom Hogan calls "customer antagonistic."

+10, I would agree. For a simple set screw, this is something that should be in the standard parts list and available for years ... in fact, it should be standard part used across designs.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Oh dear! You're right, there's no way you can find metric threaded fasteners in the US... What COULD I have been thinking?

Andre, looks like you're going to have to make a trip to Japan to fix this. Can I come with you?

And if all you need to do is keep the thing from rotating then a set screw without a groove will work just fine. The e-ring is obviously broken and gone or the screw wouldn't have fallen out in the first place. You don't have to be McGiver to make this work.

--------------------------
I think you are correct, the only caviat being is that there is an internal screw that must be connect with and the outer threads that hold the knob in place. So the set screw is male on the outside and female on the inside with two different threads ... not an easy thing to find.

I wonder if there is a second source supplier?

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Not sure I quite follow your description of an androgynes set screw but have a look here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-component-knobs/=jmrph1

I've had good luck getting oddball hardware from these guys.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:31 AM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

One of these? :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-AF-S-VR-NIKKOR-70-200MM-1-2-8G-CLAMP-KNOB-WHEEL-NEW-AUTHENTIC-PART-OEM-/390349213543?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item5ae2a04f67

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-AF-S-VR-NIKKOR-70-200MM-1-2-8-G-CLAMP-KNOB-NEW-AUTHENTIC-ORIGINAL-PART-OEM-/320864040827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab4fcb77b

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Problem SOLVED!!! It is not a funky screw size, but is the same thread as all the camera mount screws for plates and brackets. The screw for my Black Rapid strap fits perfectly and is just the right depth. I was planning on getting an extra Black Rapid connector, so now I'll just order two! A $5 solution.

The inner screw I was talking about appears to be there as a plunger for the set screw to push on and not for the set screw to screw into. It is connected to a plate that pushes on the lens barrel as opposed to the set screw gouging the lens barrel. A good design if the set screw had not come off.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:52 AM
rroach1957

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

I have the same problem - sort of . I have the screw . I don't know if it broke off or what but it won't lock the collar. I may just be paranoid here. Does the screw just ride against the lens body or is there a part that was lost . Maybe something the screw went into that helped lock the collar ? Andre said something about a plunger ? I know i can get a thumb screw just don't want to screw up the body .I tried to find a diagram online just to see what's under the collar - no luck . Any thoughts ??

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Cdaraii

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Thanks guys. RE MY NIKKOR Z VRS 70-200
I just noticed I have an issue with the same screw. In my case, it is captive in place, but it does not tighten the barrel . It is not applying any brake force on to the barrel. Any idea how to fix this?
Grateful

Jun 18, 2022 at 07:26 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · nikon 70-200 VR tripod collar lock screw -- mine fell off

Try a 1/4 inch flat washer or lock washer.

Jun 18, 2022 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.