Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Slow raw file processing from DPP on 5D3 images.

Dreamliner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow raw file processing from DPP on 5D3 images.

After buying the 5D3 on August I noticed that my raw file processing from DPP takes twice the time that my 5D2 raw files used to (both in high speed or high quality options). The first time that happened I took a fast look on the camera logo just to be sure that I didn't bought a D800!
I work on an older computer and plan to upgrade soon but I think that for 1 megapixel resolution difference (5%) I should have expected just a slight increase and not 100% more processing time.
BTW, I am also under the impression that the files from the 5D3 although very nice, lack the sharpness of the 5D2 files when processed with the same settings. (And yes, my lenses are calibrated on 5D3)
What is your opinion about that?

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow raw file processing from DPP on 5D3 images.

I am also under the impression that the files from the 5D3 although very nice, lack the sharpness of the 5D2 files when processed with the same settings.

That's because you shouldn't use the same settings with a different camera. One of the things I learned long ago is, when I buy a new camera, my old post production techniques need to either be adjusted or even tossed. The same color, WB, sharpening, etc., tweaks, just don't work as well and I have to optimize both my shooting and PP for the idiosyncrasies of the new camera.

I don't have an answer for you slow DPP but I suspect Canon needs to tweak the code a bit more. Aperture and PS RAW conversions aren't much different between the 2 cameras.

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:08 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow raw file processing from DPP on 5D3 images.

I noticed the slow processing as well, but I came up to the MKIII from the original 5d and assumed it was just the difference in file size.

And I agree that the recipe for the files must be different than from your MKII. Find the optimum. I have never been able to get images as sharp with my other cameras as I have with this one. I'm sure some of that is the resolution increase though.

-Brian

Oct 07, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow raw file processing from DPP on 5D3 images.

Canon DPP will use two cores at a time per batch job.

I can get my six-core computer running all six cores by starting three batch jobs on one-third each of the total job.

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:21 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow raw file processing from DPP on 5D3 images.

Dreamliner wrote:
After buying the 5D3 on August I noticed that my raw file processing from DPP takes twice the time that my 5D2 raw files used to (both in high speed or high quality options). The first time that happened I took a fast look on the camera logo just to be sure that I didn't bought a D800!
I work on an older computer and plan to upgrade soon but I think that for 1 megapixel resolution difference (5%) I should have expected just a slight increase and not 100% more processing time.
BTW, I am also under the impression
...Show more

Canon enables NR by default on the 5D3 even at 100 ISO; that's likely the difference in sharpness you are seeing.

As for performance, additional processing takes longer... NR and CA correction might be the difference. Remember that DPP will use all of the in-camera settings as defaults, so check to see if you have CA correction enabled, and try disabling NR altogether.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.