Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

802walker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

Hey all. I am trying to shoot BOTH bracketed and time release @ 2 seconds. I can set both individually, but can't figure out how to bracket my shot AND have it on 2 seconds time release so it shoots all of the bracketed shots after a 2 second delay. This was a simple thing on my old Canon and I can't figure it out on the OM-D.

What in the world am I missing here?

Oct 06, 2012 at 11:23 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

Have you tried the "Anti-shock" time delay? Custom menu E, manual page 89. If I understand you correctly, I believe this will do what you want.

The cool thing about how this is implemented is that if you wish you can leave it set in the menu and it is added to the shooting mode selections in combination with the standard options.

And - even more cool, if you are interested in time-lapse photography: Set anti-shock to 30 seconds and select continuous mode with anti-shock, set up the camera on a tripod, attach a wired remote switch with the shutter lock (long exposure) feature, and lock the shutter. Your camera will now happily take a photograph every 30 seconds until either the card is full or the battery dies

I have added all this to the Om-D E-M5 Configuration Thread here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1144967/1

Edited on Oct 08, 2012 at 12:11 AM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:20 AM
802walker
• •
p.1 #3 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

Thanks!

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:21 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

I don't think CalW addressed the problem re bracketing exposures using the 2-second timer. I have the same problem too ... how to automatically take 3 bracketed exposures, via the 2-second self-timer release.

Jan 10, 2013 at 07:21 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

Yes, this adds a delay between every exposure

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

It's just not doable i.e. you cannot shoot in continuous/sequential mode and self-timer mode at the same time. I guess the only way to do this is via a shutter cable or wireless remote ... so you can set the camera to sequential shooting and trigger the shutter via a wired or wireless remote to avoid any camera shake.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

"Yes, this adds a delay between every exposure"

... and I believe that this is exactly what the original poster wanted. It doesn't use the two-second timer, but it does give you whatever delay you set up for "shutter shock settling time" between sequential exposures. (The mirrorless equivalent of mirror lock-up, but automated.)

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:54 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

A bit more clarification. Although the two-second timer gives camera and tripod shake time to disipate it does not help with shutter shock, because the timer delay occurs before the first curtain shutter closure. The anti-shock delay occurs between first curtain shutter closure and first curtain shutter opening, allowing shock from the closure to dissipate. And if both are used the anti-shock delay adds to the two-second timer to further allow camera/tripod shake dissipation. Or, if a longer anti-shock delay is used without the two-second timer, it can by itself allow dissipation of both sources of shake. This is a very good thing in the case of sequential mode because as Bobby says above the two-second timer and sequential mode are mutually exclusive. And I agree with Bobby that because the two-second delay and sequential mode are mutually exclusive, the two-second delay probably must be replaced by a remote shutter control to obtain a long enough camera/tripod settling time with minimal impact to frame rate. Clearly Olympus engineers understood that there was a need when they implemented the anti-shock delay. Unfortunately though, as with everything in photography, there is a price to pay - in this case a lower frame rate, and even more difficulty in trying to track moving targets. But back to the original post - this is a solution allowing use of sequential mode with bracketing and shake reduction for stationary targets. (The second curtain closing and opening of the shutter have limited implications here on shake, because they occur after exposure, but they do reduce the frame rate.)

I should add that I do not consider "Shutter Shock" to be well-understood, particularly as it appears to affect primarily only certain camera-lens combinations and there is as yet only guess-work to explain why. (Apparently only the most obsessed pixel peeper would claim to see the effect with a high-quality prime.) But there does appear to be credible evidence that the OM-D E-M5 and at least some kit zoom lenses are affected, and I know from another thread that the original poster here was using one of these lenses.

Edited on Jan 11, 2013 at 07:59 PM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:53 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Easy OM-D question driving me nuts

I have just placed an order for this wireless remote shutter release for $26.59:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220795360032

This is a great deal, as this wireless remote is EXACTLY the same unit/specs as the Vello Freewave Plus version that is selling on B&H and elsewhere for $64.50 + shipping ... except that it's called Pixel instead of Vello.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:16 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password