Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Just can't decide...

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Just can't decide...

Okay... I just can't decide between pulling the trigger on the 5D MKII or wait for the 6D. Every time I decide on getting the 5D MKII, I read something on the 6D and get cold feet.

I know that this is a tough thing to ask with the 6D still a ways out but is there a compelling reason to go ahead and get the 5D MKII?

Oct 06, 2012 at 08:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Just can't decide...

Why not get a used 5DII now, and keep it for a while even after the 6D comes out? You probably won't lose much on the value of the 5DII if you decide to sell it, and you can avoid the panic when the 6D first hits the street. If you like the 5DII enough (it takes super images!), then you could even wait for the 6D price to drop - if indeed you decide to get the 6D. It would be like hedging your bet. Plus, you'd get a 5DII now!

Oct 06, 2012 at 09:43 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Just can't decide...

Don't imagine you can go wrong with either, same issue here, the "more" sensitive center AF point, wifi, lighter body interests me, I'm simply waiting for the 6D to be reviewed/released...if it's crap; which I doubt, the 5D2 gets the nod, unless I wait another yr and get a 5D3

Oct 06, 2012 at 09:53 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #4 · Just can't decide...

I tending to agree with you guys. The wifi/gps would be neat but nothing I need to have. This will be a general purpose camera that could be used for video should the need arise.

I only use the center AF point and if I need to chase anything with speed, I have my 1D MKIII to use.

I was leaning towards a 7D but really want to go full frame. Used a 1Ds MKII for a couple of weeks and was sold on the full frame. Had the controls been closer to the 1D MKIII, I would have probably kept the 1Ds but it was too frustrating after using the 1D MKIII for years.

If I could find an extra grand, the choice would be easy.... I'd get the 5D MKIII.

Oct 06, 2012 at 10:09 PM
ssnap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Just can't decide...

I pulled the trigger on the MKII today. I'm very excited to see how things go with it! I have owned the 7D for almost three years now and must say that it's a fabulous camera but I was ready to go Full Frame. I love the look and feel of images from that big sensor.

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:28 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · Just can't decide...

Do you miss the advanced features of the 7D or does the IQ/High ISO performance balance the scales?

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #7 · Just can't decide...

coppertop wrote:
Used a 1Ds MKII for a couple of weeks and was sold on the full frame. Had the controls been closer to the 1D MKIII, I would have probably kept the 1Ds but it was too frustrating after using the 1D MKIII for years.

I sold my 5D2 a few months ago, and started using my 1Ds2. I also have a 1D3. It took a few weeks to get used to switching between the two cams. It was hard at first, but it's become second nature now.

I'm thinking I'm just going to wait for something from Canon with a compelling megapixel upgrade before I make the leap, though truthfully, the extra stop of low light AF (-3 EV) in the 6D might cinch the deal for me, before a 46 megapixel hits the market.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:33 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #8 · Just can't decide...

ssnap wrote:
I pulled the trigger on the MKII today. I'm very excited to see how things go with it! I have owned the 7D for almost three years now and must say that it's a fabulous camera but I was ready to go Full Frame. I love the look and feel of images from that big sensor.

+1 - I had a 60D for quite some time and finally moved to a 5D. It's an amazing camera. The difference for me is stunning, having never shot with a full frame camera before.

Here's a fun little shot of a phrenology bust (for all you history nerds out there reading this thread).

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:49 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #9 · Just can't decide...

the new saying: it's never a bad time to get a 5D2

Oct 07, 2012 at 04:03 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Just can't decide...

datousteve wrote:
the new saying: it's never a bad time to get a 5D2

if the price is right

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Just can't decide...

coppertop wrote:
is there a compelling reason to go ahead and get the 5D MKII?

Yes. Better ergonomics and cheaper price.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:24 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #12 · Just can't decide...

Pulled the trigger on the 5D MKII. As much as I wanted, I just couldn't reach the 5D MKIII with my budget.

I think the 6D will be a nice camera but I just couldn't see anything that places it heads and shoulders above the MKII. Once it hits the market and it starts getting used, my opinion may change and I can always upgrade then.

For now, I know I'm getting a proven camera and can have a little pocket change left over. Thanks for the input and advice.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:11 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #13 · Just can't decide...

CW100 wrote:
if the price is right

The price is right. Otherwise it wouldn't be the new saying

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:23 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #14 · Just can't decide...

Age old question.
If you need to shoot now, get the 5DII.
If you have time on your hands, wait for the 6D and decide. If you buy early, you buy at a premium, so you would be waiting on release, reviews, any firmware fixes, then price drop over 4-6 months. I'd say you could easily wait until June for the 6D to account for all of these things.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:31 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Just can't decide...

coppertop wrote:
Pulled the trigger on the 5D MKII. As much as I wanted, I just couldn't reach the 5D MKIII with my budget.

Good choice. Now you can blow those savings on some pretty new glass.

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Just can't decide...

coppertop wrote:
Pulled the trigger on the 5D MKII.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:44 PM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #17 · Just can't decide...

vsg28 wrote:
Do you miss the advanced features of the 7D or does the IQ/High ISO performance balance the scales?

No lie, I've really been missing the AF system on my 7D. I'm still familiarizing myself with the camera so I haven't thrown in the towl. I need to pickup a full-frame 1.4 lens for my indoor shooting. I currently have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 that I use on the 7D. Ergonomically I'm really struggling witht he adjustment but the same thing happened when I went from the D200 to the 7D. Time heals all wounds
Tomorrow I will get out for a fall photoshoot with my son. Today I did some informal shots in the backyard and got some fun shots. I love having my 24-105 be 24mm at the wide end

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:44 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #18 · Just can't decide...

In my case, if I need something with speed I have my 1D Mark III.

Still though... I grew up shooting college football with a Pentax ME Super and 2.5 fps winder. I was in hog heaven when I moved up to the Pentax LX and while I made the move to 5fps, focus was still manual.

In a way, it'll be fun shooting with a "slower" camera but something tells me the MKII isn't all that slow.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:10 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #19 · Just can't decide...

5DII for sure. It is priced very attractively now.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #20 · Just can't decide...

coppertop wrote:
I tending to agree with you guys. The wifi/gps would be neat but nothing I need to have. This will be a general purpose camera that could be used for video should the need arise.

I only use the center AF point and if I need to chase anything with speed, I have my 1D MKIII to use.

I was leaning towards a 7D but really want to go full frame. Used a 1Ds MKII for a couple of weeks and was sold on the full frame. Had the controls been closer to the 1D MKIII, I would have probably kept

If I could find an extra grand, the choice would be easy.... I'd get the 5D MKIII.

...Show more

If the 1Ds was too different, I'm not sure if either of the 5Dii or 6D will have ergo like the 1D series for you.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password