Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon D700 or D800?

labowman22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon D700 or D800?

I need help deciding which one is more fitting for me. I am a child/newborn/family photographer. I have also done a few weddings and some senior pics. Currently, I have a D7000. I really want a full frame to work with. I am having a difficult time deciding which one I should buy. Do all the file sizes for the D800 come out large? Suggestions would be wondeful! Thank you!

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:09 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Nikon D700 or D800?

I'm curious why the D600 isn't on your list? It is Nikon's latest FX camera with a more manageable file size and what appears to be great lowlight performance. I shot with a friend's D800 for a week and I found the grip uncomfortable and the file size not at all appealing. The D600 is a bit bigger than the D7000 and a bit smaller than a D700. Folks posting photos with the D600 on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread are having a blast with the camera. I'm not ready to upgrade from my D700 but this newest camera offers an attractive path when I choose to do so. Good luck sorting it out.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:19 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon D700 or D800?

Why you need to work with FF? D7000 can't get what you're after because of what? Without fully understanding what you really need, it's hard to give you any suggestions.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:19 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon D700 or D800?

Portraits are better with FF, thats why.

And yes D800 file size is quite.. big. Frankly for what you shoot I would get either D3/s or D700. I think its best choice.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

folsomwg
• •
p.1 #5 · Nikon D700 or D800?

D700 would be fine, but consider the D600. Everyone seems to be loving theirs.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon D700 or D800?

Mescalamba wrote:
Portraits are better with FF, thats why.

I'd be willing to wager a very large sum of cash that you couldn't pick out the FX and DX shots, from a pile of portrait prints that I can make.

How much are you willing to wager?

Kerry

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:11 PM
labowman22

p.1 #7 · Nikon D700 or D800?

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I have been wanting to upgrade for awhile. A couple of people asked me why I wanted to work with a full frame. The reasoning is on here http://photographylife.com/nikon-dx-vs-fx
I have seen many photos taken from a D7000 in comparison with a full frame and I have seen a difference. I think I have decided not to get the D800. Now it is between the D600 and the D700. Decisions, decisions.....

Oct 06, 2012 at 01:19 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon D700 or D800?

The good news is they're both outstanding cameras. One has a little sturdier build and (for me anyway) more familiar control layout. The other has the edge when it comes to image quality and some of the newer feature set, which of course includes HD video in case that's something you'd utilize. Personally I'd recommend the D700 used vs new, because for the new price you can get into a D600, and to me anyway it's a better camera at the same price point.

Oct 06, 2012 at 02:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password