New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Alek Komarnits
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

I wasn't sure if this should be posted in the Sports Corner, Lighting & Studio Techniques, Photo Critique, Post Processing, or Canon Forum ... but since I mostly hang out in the later, I'll post here ... especially since this was just dang fun to do - boys will be boys!

So in addition to a HUGE peach harvest this year, our apple tree also went bonkers. So after making lots of apple sauce and bagging many of 'em for our use and to give away, we still had plenty over. So having nothing else better to do, I pulled out my 7D, 70-200/2.8, a pair of 580EX flashes, a lighstand, tripod, and remote release ... and we did some APPLE SMASHING! ;-)

First image is full-frame showing the setup with yours truly ... my 10 year old timed the shutter release pretty well here. I also had some fun with image #3 converting to greyscale but leaving the apple colored - am not sure if I like that better than the colored one.
Lots more picture of the carnage at the link above.

My son Dirk makes good contact ... with just one eye open! ;-)

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:11 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

good golf swing as well!

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:19 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Nice.

Sly Arena has a section in his Speedliting book where he has his son smashing gourds.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Nice photos.
Could never see myself doing this though, US hunger and food insecurity rates are at all time highs.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:05 PM
PasiM
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Good job!
Care to share specs; f, ISO, shutter speed etc?

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Access wrote:
Nice photos.
Could never see myself doing this though, US hunger and food insecurity rates are at all time highs.

Thanks for chiming in Debbie.

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/803/40034803/40034803_384x288_generated.jpg

Oct 05, 2012 at 07:59 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Reminds me of the cover of that one canon book on my shelf that I've yet to master. Very nice job.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349485763&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+speedlite

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Ben Horne wrote:
Thanks for chiming in Debbie.

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/803/40034803/40034803_384x288_generated.jpg

We're waiting for a more formal introduction...

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

That's pretty cool! You managed to avoid glass glare on the first image; not easy to do with direct flash.
Nice local product placement of Crocs; get them at the store on Pearl?
I like the images.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:28 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

On the food front, a lot of food banks and soup kitchens will not accept home grown produce. I couldn't donate my tomatoes or say if I did hunt (I don't, we'll I do...I hunt in the freezer section of the grocery store) they wouldn't take an animal I killed.

Instead of throwing it in the ops face, maybe call up our president and let him know that the foreign aid could be used to feed our hungry and homeless.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:34 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

somebody wake up Monito; he hasn't chimed in that this should have been posted in the food smashing forum

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

timbop wrote:
somebody wake up Monito; he hasn't chimed in that this should have been posted in the food smashing forum

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Alek Komarnits
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Thanks for the comments everybody and glad you enjoyed the shot - still curious which is your favorite - in color or greyscale with the red apple?

I'll respond to the "food commentary" by saying that yes, to the best of my knowledge, no food bank or soup kitchen will take home grown produce - too much liability. I actually called a nearby wild animal sanctuary to see if they had someone with a pickup that would take 'em for the animals ... but it wasn't their cup of tea ... or bag-o-apples! ;-)

The EXIF is in the images - first one is ISO 800, F/4, 1/2500s and the 2nd (of my son) is that same except at 1/2000s. I'm sure a higher shutter speed would have frozen the motion better (the pumpkin shot is great ... but that was shot with a bazillion speedlights) but I kinda like the sense of motion ... plus my kids would not have the patience for a lot of "testing"

Tom Dix: Not sure where my wife got the Crocs, but yea, probably the store on Pearl Street (Republic of Boulder!) at one of their sales ... or maybe Marshalls or one of the discount stores.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Novel, well executed...

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:38 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

That looked like it was a lot of fun. I'm usually not a very big fan of selective coloring but the converted photo is my favorite.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Alek Komarnits wrote:
I'll respond to the "food commentary" by saying that yes, to the best of my knowledge, no food bank or soup kitchen will take home grown produce - too much liability. I actually called a nearby wild animal sanctuary to see if they had someone with a pickup that would take 'em for the animals ... but it wasn't their cup of tea ... or bag-o-apples! ;-)

The sad thing is it doesn't get much more healthy or safe than fresh picked apples. Instead food banks prefer highly factory processed food filled with preservatives and pesticides (easier to "bank"). But, yeah, we had a field of apple trees on the Olympic peninsula and we ate and gave away as much as we could but a lot of it ended up on the ground (& returned to the earth). When we had a few horses and cows they ate it all but they are long gone and the suburbs are nipping at our doorsteps...

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 10:25 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:23 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Hey - it's Gallagher! Just using a baseball bat instead of the Sledge-a-matic!

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:25 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D SMASHES Apples w/off-camera lighting

Love the photos!!

RobertLynn wrote:
On the food front, a lot of food banks and soup kitchens will not accept home grown produce. I couldn't donate my tomatoes or say if I did hunt (I don't, we'll I do...I hunt in the freezer section of the grocery store) they wouldn't take an animal I killed.

Instead of throwing it in the ops face, maybe call up our president and let him know that the foreign aid could be used to feed our hungry and homeless.

Yep, I have milk goats and I can neither sell or donate my milk to ANYONE thanks to our dear old government and corporate farming...

I can't even give it to the animal shelter for the cats. What a waste! Oh well, my chickens and dogs are well fed and I am stuffed to the gills with cheese.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.