Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SB800 Flash tube exploded. My fault?

Micah25

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SB800 Flash tube exploded. My fault?

Was shooting a wedding and during dancing (thank God) my SB800 which was hooked up to a calumet battery pack exploded. I'm sure you have heard that familiar pop. Another photog said it was the calumet battery pack's fault. After looking at the meta data leading up to the pop I was surprised at the time spacing.

8:59:21
8:59:44
8:59:58
9:00:26
9:00:37 tube pops
9:01:7 Say S$#% and run and grab my SB25

So it's not like I was shooting the crap out of the flash. So just the original SB800 tube just got tired? I should also note the flash was on top of Cactus wireless device to trigger strobe. Flash was set to TTL. Back up saved the night. Thank you for any stories or comments you might have.

--Micah

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:30 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SB800 Flash tube exploded. My fault?

I don't think one can blame the battery; if a capacitor or charging circuit went, then maybe the battery could be the culprit, but not if a flash tube goes.

I wouldn't say it's your fault, either. Sometimes tubes just blow. Age, a sharp blow during shipping, a manufacturing defect, etc. can all be issues that can cause a fault. That's why every wedding pro carries back-ups. Glad to hear you did, too.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:23 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.