New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Stilltime
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Trying to decide what exactly I want to do, but need some help. I have long since wanted to move to FX, the viewfinder is amazing for manual focusing, and I prefer the 1:1 FOV. I had owned a 5D for a month or so and absolutely loved it, but unfortunately had to sell it again.

My current setup:
D5100 + 28/50/85 1.8G trio, and the 18-55VR kit lens
Manfrotto legs + head

I *mainly* just shoot candid landscapes and events, with the occasional paid shoot here and there, but do not rely on getting paid. I have been setting up my lens selection for an FX frame, but I don't see being able to afford any FX Nikon bodies for a while. There have been several very clean, low mileage 5D's coming up for sale recentliy, and I can not decide if I should make the switch or not.

Since I am not familiar with many of Canon's lenses (but prefer primes) I would probably start out with the 17-40L + 100/2. I do not ever use video, or 80% of the gimmicky features of the D5100, but I do like the files it produces. I very much appreicate the stripped down feature set of the 5D, it just [helps] make great images, and some of my best were from that month that I owned one.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Chris C.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:21 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Think you would get better help if this was in the Canon forum.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:58 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

davidnholtjr wrote:
Think you would get better help if this was in the Canon forum.

+1

you probably won't find much help in this forum section, I haven't used Canon in 8+ years, no idea what they offer.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Canon makes a bunch of goofy toys with product versions noted with roman numerals.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Ha, when I posted this I guess I thought it would cater towards Nikon forum...but re-reading it you guys are right. Posted in the Canon forum, this thread can be closed.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:28 AM
edl415
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Hrmm. I've used both cameras you mention.

Going from a nice 1.8 prime trio on a highly capable crop sensor to a 4.0 zoom on first gen full frame is beyond common sense. You're trading for worse glass and arguably worse body. No sensor cleaning, small display, and many other downgrades are included in this trade. Seriously?

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

it seems to me Nikon or Canon would suit your needs, and since you already have Nikon gear and cost is an issue, sticking with Nikon makes more sense. Nikon has primes.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

It all depends on what you NEED/want. If you need something that is weather sealed AND full frame - but want a lighter body, Nikon might be the best option (D700). If you don't care about weather sealing and want to spent the least amount of dough, no doubt the 5D is superb! I had a 1Ds the IQ was great.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:20 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

Why isn't a D700 on your radar screen? Seems like your primes are FX-suitable, and I'd guess you'd like a D700 as much as a 5D with a lot less glass churn...

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ameteur Considering a Switch to Canon

If you don't do videos then why not a used D700? It's still a fantastic body.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.