Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
  

Archive 2012 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?
  
 
liamh
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Ive posted less this year. Mainly because I got tired of the bullying. Ive checked in from time to time and there's definitely less aggressive behaviour lately. Maybe I'll start posting more again.

One thing I've always found funny on this board is how threads with no photos get the most comments as evidenced by this thread



Oct 06, 2012 at 07:49 AM
Lisa_Holloway
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


I REALLY wish there was a separate forum for the NSFW/nude photography. I'm not interested in it and don't click on those posts, and it skeeves me out a little to see those posts right next to seniors/kids/family/newborn/etc stuff.

RE people acting like jerks online - well...that happens on every internet forum there is, photography related and otherwise.



Oct 06, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Steady Hand
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Sodonn wrote:
I post here occasionaly, lurk here alot to admire the work, get inspiration, etc. I get very discouraged from posting because of the negativity on the forum, particularly on the wedding photography section. The wedding section seems to be very clique'ish. I've watched some folks criticize one persons work and praise others for doing the same thing. The work both in this section and the wedding section is amazing. Out of all my years participating in various artistic forums, I've never seen such bickering between creative folks as I've seen here. Not affraid to post, just don't care to read
...Show more



I have seen much the same and felt the same too.

Thanks for adding your POV to this discussion.



Oct 06, 2012 at 03:23 PM
T-bone1
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Steady Hand wrote:


I have seen much the same and felt the same too.

Thanks for adding your POV to this discussion.


BINGO! Saved me some typing.

-T



Oct 06, 2012 at 03:32 PM
donrisi
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


I quit posting a long time ago, for much the same reasons as others have expressed -- I got tired of being flamed for giving people the C&C they had asked for, and I got tired of all the "Great shots" for photos that were anything but. If all people are looking for is a pat on the back, why bother to ask for C&C? I admit that I get my feelings hurt when people don't like my work, but if I asked for C&C, I'd better be prepared for someone to be critical, and quit wearing my heart on my sleeve. Every forum of this kind I've seen has gone through this. So many people just don't seem to be truly interested in improving, so they get all sorts of upset and defensive when someone tried to give some constructive critique. I'm surprised Steady hasn't been flamed more than he has.

Edited on Oct 09, 2012 at 04:36 AM · View previous versions



Oct 06, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Steady Hand
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


donrisi wrote:
I quit posting a long time ago, for much the same reasons as others have expressed -- I got tired of being flamed for giving people the C&C they had asked for, and I got tired of all the "Great shots" for photos that were anything but. If all people are looking for is a pat on the back, why bother to ask for C&C? I admit that I get my feelings hurt when people don't like my work, but if I asked for C&C, I'd better be prepared for someone to be critical, and quit wearing my heart on
...Show more

On that last point above: I have some scorch marks on my cape.

Thanks for posting YOUR POV too. I believe I understand.

I also think it is sad that a place where people should be able to come to share their enjoyment of a hobby or profession, can become a place of hostility and personal attacks.




Oct 06, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Steady Hand
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


liamh wrote:
Ive posted less this year. Mainly because I got tired of the bullying. Ive checked in from time to time and there's definitely less aggressive behaviour lately. Maybe I'll start posting more again.

One thing I've always found funny on this board is how threads with no photos get the most comments as evidenced by this thread


Good to see you Liamh.

I feel much as you do.

And on that last point....



Oct 06, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Steady Hand
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Lisa_Holloway wrote:
I REALLY wish there was a separate forum for the NSFW/nude photography. I'm not interested in it and don't click on those posts, and it skeeves me out a little to see those posts right next to seniors/kids/family/newborn/etc stuff.

RE people acting like jerks online - well...that happens on every internet forum there is, photography related and otherwise.



On your first point about a separate forum for NSFW/Nude photography:

I TOTALLY agree.

The posting of nudes and NSFW photos (topics) mixed in with the small children or teen portraits posts is ONE reason I was VERY reluctant to post ANY photos here on this forum.

I believe it WOULD be MUCH BETTER for there to be a separate forum on this site for those "adult oriented" posts.




Oct 06, 2012 at 04:18 PM
vawill84
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


definitely noticed this forum has been less active than usual. Ive always loved when people give me feedback, b/c ultimately I may miss something, and its good to get other sets of eyes to give me other points of views. Id rather have 5 people critical of my pictures, than 20 "great shots" posts. Its all about improving for me.


Oct 06, 2012 at 04:19 PM
GCasey
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


One fun thing we've done in our camera club is for a small group to go out together and take pictures, process our own images, select a few (3-5) of our best, and then get together and critique them - with one specific viewpoint: How could it be improved? Four of us went to the Greek Cathedral this morning and will get together soon to talk about ourl photos and how we can improve.

This has, for me, one of the most helpful projects in the club. We're friends first, then photographers. This helping-one-another approach would work for this forum as well.



Oct 06, 2012 at 04:46 PM
 



Steady Hand
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


vawill84 wrote:
definitely noticed this forum has been less active than usual. Ive always loved when people give me feedback, b/c ultimately I may miss something, and its good to get other sets of eyes to give me other points of views. Id rather have 5 people critical of my pictures, than 20 "great shots" posts. Its all about improving for me.


Thanks for contributing YOUR comments to this discussion.

"Another set of eyes" can be helpful to see things missed.

"Another POV" or opinion can be helpful to get oneself to consider a different POV about a topic or photo issue.

That is why I think people should not say "That is a bad photo" but rather: "As I see it..."

Unfortunately, since the people who participate in a forum like this rarely ever meet or speak with one another, the comments can be misread and the tone misread too.

By the way, when I write "Good job" or "Great Job" I do so after thinking about the image and WHAT I think could be done differently IF I were the photographer, with their skill, situation, tools, and goal. I only write it when I think it is a good photo for that photographer AND a good photo to view/share/see.

I think that is important IN THIS FORUM because there are so many people here of different levels of experience or skill in photography. While there are many "pros" on this forum, there are also many people just learning how to make photos (and apparently that includes a lot of the "pros" here too).

So, I think it is a matter of understanding something about what the photographer is doing, their goals, and their skills/experience/abilities in addition to how the image itself strikes me. Of course I expect there are others here with a very different POV on this issue.

So, I may see a highly skilled amateur who has a low priced camera taking pictures of their kid and the photo may warrant a "good job" comment from me, while another photographer who has expensive kit, is positioned as a pro, and may have posted much better photos in the past, would not get the same "good job" comment from me, because I believe they could do much better (and have in the past).

As an example, I often see photos posted by Charlie Shugart (travel photos from the 1970s) that strike me as EXCELLENT images for travel photos. It is often not because I see a perfect exposure (some are dark, but made with slide film and natural harsh sunlight...unposed), or brilliant color (many are in BW), it is OFTEN because I can see how he connected with the subjects or shows us something that seems to me to be authentic to the people in the photo (not staged) and that strikes me as being "real" and without pretense (as some modern travel photos seem to be).

I hope these comments help and encourage you and others who may read my comments here.




Oct 06, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Chaosmonger
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


I can't participate (other than voting) in the weekly assignments anymore without being a paying member. I understand why the site needs money for data storage ,upkeep etc.

But to keep the site fresh and new, it needs fresh and new members too. I can get C&C from professionals on countless other sites for free. I really like this site the most but I'm not made of money either. There is really no incentive to get me to join. And without the excitement of entering the weekly assignments I visit the site MUCH LESS OFTEN now.

If i had lots of money I would join but gas is over 4 bucks a gallon....



Oct 07, 2012 at 01:23 AM
Eyeball
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Chaosmonger wrote:
I can't participate (other than voting) in the weekly assignments anymore without being a paying member. I understand why the site needs money for data storage ,upkeep etc.

But to keep the site fresh and new, it needs fresh and new members too. I can get C&C from professionals on countless other sites for free. I really like this site the most but I'm not made of money either. There is really no incentive to get me to join. And without the excitement of entering the weekly assignments I visit the site MUCH LESS OFTEN now.

If i had lots of
...Show more

Why do you think you need to be a paying member to participate in the WA and MAs? That has never been a requirement in the past and I see no indication that it is a requirement now. A quick look shows several WA submissions embedded from external hosting sites (like Flickr, for example).



Oct 07, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Chaosmonger
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Eyeball wrote:
Why do you think you need to be a paying member to participate in the WA and MAs? That has never been a requirement in the past and I see no indication that it is a requirement now. A quick look shows several WA submissions embedded from external hosting sites (like Flickr, for example).


I may be doing something wrong but the "upload / browse" button is "greyed out" with a message box that says, "Available to Upload & Sell members only".

I hope I'm just being stupid. I was using the assignments to force me out of my comfort zone and abilities (which are very noobly and limited i'll admit). Maybe I should re-read how to post pics on this site.



Oct 08, 2012 at 01:57 AM
Chaosmonger
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


I'm stupid.....sooooo here's a giant ichneuman wasp I found while splitting some wood.





?t=1349662832




Oct 08, 2012 at 02:26 AM
tonyfield
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


FM certainly has lost the diversity of images that used to be here. There were great artistic photographers showing good work in all "people" genres. The past couple of years have caused a stylistic change in the nature of images that are posted. Most of the things you see are pretty bland, straight laced and non-interesting - or of such poor photographic quality. Even the "beginners" 5 years ago posted great shots and progressed from there. Critique was constant and all over the place representing various points of view.

People with a different photographic point of view are essentially ignored - and this has caused many very fine photographers to shy away from this period of FM content. With the loss of those photographers, there is less willingness for others to post.

The spread of DSLR photography in the past 5 years has really watered down the quality of images posted - and therefore the lack of serious participation.



Oct 08, 2012 at 02:40 AM
HawksFan66
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Let's face it Steady, there are a number of self-important people on this forum who evidently only feel good about themselves when they can tear someone else down. A number of them replied to your thread. I know I've taken a leave of absence a time or two for being treated like a piece of trash.



Oct 08, 2012 at 03:18 AM
gowhow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


I have noticed this forum has dropped off in terms of activity. I'm not sure of the reason - maybe it is increased negativity, maybe not.

I am always wary reading comments on the web. It is very easy to read something and add a negative tone which isn't really there, so I tend to err on the side of caution and give people the benefit of the doubt. (of course there are some comments which are clearly of a negative vibe)

I am also guilty of posting a few shots of my own, browsing a few recent threads and making a couple of comments, then disappearing, so if i have nothing to post I tend not to browse (a bit selfish?)

Anyway, to make up for this, I'm off to start a new thread



Oct 08, 2012 at 07:03 AM
Steady Hand
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


Chaosmonger wrote:
I'm stupid.....sooooo here's a giant ichneuman wasp I found while splitting some wood.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/chaosmonger1/giantichneumonwasp.jpg?t=1349662832



Interesting looking bug. Thanks for posting.



Oct 08, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Josh Evilsizor
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?


HawksFan66 wrote:
Let's face it Steady, there are a number of self-important people on this forum who evidently only feel good about themselves when they can tear someone else down. A number of them replied to your thread. I know I've taken a leave of absence a time or two for being treated like a piece of trash.



I find this rather comical...




Oct 09, 2012 at 03:04 AM
1       2      
3
       4       5       end




FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password