Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

A good series you've started, Steady.
I also have noticed the drop-offs you mentioned initially.
I'm one of those few who posts mostly candid shots of a documentary nature- taken while travelling abroad.
I've long ago given up trying to figure out why my posts often get very little action. The possibilities range from stinko photography to a general lack of interest in life in foreign lands.

To illustrate what I mean (but not meaning to whine about it )- here's a link to a recent post I made on People Forum. About Uzbekistan. It got one reply. From Steady, as it happens .
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1150577

I continue posting regularly because I enjoy reliving (and sharing) my travel and photography experiences. And I hope there are a few who enjoy some of my posts- whether they comment or not.
In any case, there really isn't anything I can do about it except continue trying to improve my pp techniques (an endless, slow task). And continue posting.
Charlie

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 04:26 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Charlie Shugart wrote:
A good series you've started, Steady.
I also have noticed the drop-offs you mentioned initially.
I'm one of those few who posts mostly candid shots of a documentary nature- taken while travelling abroad.
I've long ago given up trying to figure out why my posts often get very little action. The possibilities range from stinko photography to a general lack of interest in life in foreign lands.
I continue posting regularly because I enjoy reliving (and sharing) my travel and photography experiences. And I hope there are a few who enjoy some of my posts- whether they comment or not.
In any case, there
...Show more

Thanks Charlie.

I want you to know that YOU are one of the reasons I enjoy visiting this forum. You see, when I visit a photography forum like this I expected to see lots of photos from all over the planet (travel photos for example) and YOU are the FM member who continues to amaze me with not only good to excellent travel photography...you have been EVERYWHERE!

So, whenever I log onto the FM People Forum it is YOUR posts I often look for first off...as I wonder: "Where has Charlie been? (and what did he see?)."

Seriously, I enjoy seeing photos from around the world (even within the USA) and places and people I have never seen before. I do wish MORE folks from around the world would participate here (I even tried, a couple of years back, to get people who visit this forum involved in two different "Global Projects" here). My hope is that this would be a friendly place where photographers from all over the world would contribute what they see in their part of the planet.

Thanks for continuing to post those travel photos Charlie!

Oct 05, 2012 at 04:19 PM
PhotoDes
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

My reason for not spending more time here will sound strange to some, but it's in the presentation. I see an increase in sample photos posted that are huge -- they more than overfill my browser window. They're slow to load and I have to scroll or resize just to see what I'm looking at.

I know some people have larger monitors than I do (mine's an NEC 22"), but what about all the people who view on laptops?

I feel it's best to display an image at a size that shows the entire photo, unless you intend for people to pixel-peep. Yeah, this sounds pretty petty, but it actually has affected my interest in the FM forums.

Des

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I look at most of thethreads here and notice that the only one that has signifant movement is the buy and sell. I have noticed that some of the Pro's and old tenurered members have stopped using this site.

It seamed to drop off dramtically soon after Paul Buff got excluded from the site. I am not a fan at all but some of the posts were enlightening. There were some great people and they did provide good insight into photography but unfortunately they appear to have gone. This is not the same site. You had your daily post and that dwindled. I think you know what I mean.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Brit-007 wrote:
I look at most of thethreads here and notice that the only one that has signifant movement is the buy and sell. I have noticed that some of the Pro's and old tenurered members have stopped using this site.

It seamed to drop off dramtically soon after Paul Buff got excluded from the site. I am not a fan at all but some of the posts were enlightening. There were some great people and they did provide good insight into photography but unfortunately they appear to have gone. This is not the same site. You had your daily post and that
...Show more

Hmmm...some interesting points to consider here.

Thanks for adding to this discussion too.

I did not know Paul Buff was excluded (missed that happening) and I do remember reading many posts in the Lighting forum where he and his equipment (popular among photographers here) was discussed extensively....and I don't even own (never have) anything made by his company (AlienBees). I did find the discussions interesting and the equipment developments interesting.

You made me think of a few things...

So, I come to this question for you AND anyone else reading this....

WHAT do you think would make this forum better or more appealing (in which to participate or post either photos or comments or advice or tips or whatever) or more "lively" or nicer?

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Mike Yamin wrote:
... I feel like I see a lot of the same or similar shots over and over again... I think we might just be used to seeing it. I can imagine how that would affect the energy of the forum overall.

This is why I frequent the Nature and Wildlife forum much less now - how many pictures of eagles, hummingbirds, and herons do I need to see? It was fun for while at first, but now it's old hat. I don't know whether that applies to the people forum or not, but maybe...

I'd post more in the people forum, but most of the people I shoot are not wanting their pictures put on the web.

But here are a few of a couple children whose grandparents were visiting from India a month or so ago; I think they're the best of a bunch I took for the family.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Ernie,

Those are all nice photos of the kids. Good job! ...even better..."VERY good job!"

You mentioned the repetitive nature of lots of the "nature" photography posted on a forum here.

I think that can occur in any of the subject areas (macro, people, wedding, etc.).

I do feel that with people in the photo there is so much more potential to have more unusual and creative images made....IF the photographers look for something unusual in pose, light, expression, situation, composition etc.

I see lots of people all the time and even when I am doing a series of head and shoulders portraits that may have the similar lighting choices, similar processing (toning), and similar Point of View,.... I still truly enjoy seeing a variety of expressions, variety of costume (garments), variety of ages and facial features (types).

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:59 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Steady, as I said befor I frequent most of the threads. I do not know what the answer is. The people that used to frequent the threads had a lot of input. The input lately is not quite the same and people are not starting threads. I personally have not posted any images on the people thread as I get paid for my images and I do not get releases to post and therefore do not post. I do have images on my web sites.

Www.spcphotography.com and www.stephencoyleportraiture.com

When I first joined, every thread had a lot of posts and it was about 1 to 1.1/2 pages that had responses within 24 hours. You could always find an interesting thread. There were strong opinions as well both good and bad responses. It was always interesting to read the threads. There were a lot of emotions in the threads as well. Now, as I said before, the only page that has a lot of responses is the buy and sell. What the answer is to revitalize everything I do not know.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I post here occasionaly, lurk here alot to admire the work, get inspiration, etc. I get very discouraged from posting because of the negativity on the forum, particularly on the wedding photography section. The wedding section seems to be very clique'ish. I've watched some folks criticize one persons work and praise others for doing the same thing. The work both in this section and the wedding section is amazing. Out of all my years participating in various artistic forums, I've never seen such bickering between creative folks as I've seen here. Not affraid to post, just don't care to read through some of the comments.

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:43 PM
vuilang
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

We're (or at least how i feel) slowly evolve as a gears-heads instead of taking photos and compositions/lighting. Look at buy-sell forum and new toys keep introduce.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:03 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Just to ad something to the discussion
I think in general most forums are dropping off.
I think the views on a lot of posts are good but most people myself sometimes are too lazy or might be viewing them on a portable device and just look with out leaving a comment...I've gone back to many threads and just looked at the photos.

I try to leave a comment if i can help and offer something to the thread.

In the past there have been and still are some posters posting some stunning work and the posts would be lucky to get 2-3 replies that i can't work out why, and maybe that leads to people posting less...I know i have often wondered why some work i think is great gets no responses or one...That sometimes is a good thing, as next time i try to do better or something different.

Also i have noticed a lot of posts asking for help going unanswered or someone might ask how this was lit etc. and that too will discourage people. with out sounding rude I think some people just don't want to help especially if they have something unique.

There's a poster on Dpreview and he posts setup images with most of his studio work and gets good feedback and comments.

Lately i've been trying to take setup images in my studio when doing a shoot and should try to remember to maybe post them as well as it's a great way to learn.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Actually I say no to the gear heads. Several years ago, you would have a rumor of a new camera and you would have a 100 page thread with all the technical assumptions of how thing were and how they should be. There were actually some people on here that we're very technical indeed and went into depths at the pixel level of the sensor.

Some of the technical people are still around but there is not the in depth posting as there was. The threads just lack the pazaz. There is nothing wrong with it but there are a lot of new people in here that have different views.

I hear you about the wedding forum and to some degree I agree. Some of the work is not my style but there are a couple that produce brilliant work.

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 11:19 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:16 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Sodonn wrote:
I post here occasionaly, lurk here alot to admire the work, get inspiration, etc. I get very discouraged from posting because of the negativity on the forum, particularly on the wedding photography section. The wedding section seems to be very clique'ish. I've watched some folks criticize one persons work and praise others for doing the same thing. The work both in this section and the wedding section is amazing. Out of all my years participating in various artistic forums, I've never seen such bickering between creative folks as I've seen here. Not affraid to post, just don't care to read
...Show more

How very true
There's a couple of Italian members on that forum posting what i think is some of the best work on there and hardly get any responses or are constantly told their processing doesn't flow.

It seems to me that the wedding forum has the cool crowd and they stick together, but i still enjoy going over there and look at the photos I don't post on there as it's not my place, maybe when i shoot a wedding

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I think a lot of the serious posters who used to offer detailed critiques have left because their words fall on deaf ears, or are drowned out by the mass amounts of "everything is rainbows and unicorns" responses to pictures. so the people who seek critiques aren't getting them, so they stop posting and round and round and round.

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 11:50 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Really good point Josh.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Hosermage

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Speaking as a lurker, I visit this forum more than once a day. I take a lot of pictures of "people", but they're just amateur snaps. I feel that there are many talented professional photographers here so I'm here to read and learn. I do post my photos in other forums where I would consider other members as friends, so I'm less intimidated. I guess what I'm saying is that people here seem to be more "professional", which is a good thing, but that makes me less inclined to post.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I remember when Steady first came to the forum. He was totally different. He got a lot of blasting for the way he posted. He was persistent and pretty much just kept posting. I saw what he was trying to do and appreciated his posts. After a time he did gain a following. After a while he must have got busy with his Images or book and left for a short time. When he came back he did have a following that appreciated him back. He really stirred up the thought process for looking at images and what the meaning behind images. I think at the time it was what was needed.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:51 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Hey Steady, I can tell you that personally I post much less now, simply because of time. I used to be much more active, but I'm just much busier now. I kinda post in fits and starts. Sometimes I go a week or more without checking in, and when I do, I just kinda blast through without commenting to see what everybody is up to.

In fact, I still owe Zalmy a good critique that I promised him, but just haven't had time yet. Hopefully I can get around to it.

--David

Oct 06, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Wow Steady…….15 minutes to get email. I didn’t think places like that even existed anymore with all the different ways to connect; satellite etc. My wife and I grew up in the panhandle and we have 3 kids (and their spouses) living all over the state.

Charlie, I always enjoy looking at your photos……and I especially like the commentary you include with the photos. I’ve looked at so many over the years it feels like I know you…….I’ve always wondered if there is anyplace on the planet you haven’t been.

I’ve never posted here because it seemed to be more for the “professionals” presenting their work to other pros. I’m not saying that is a bad thing; I’ve learned a tremendous amount just from reading the comments here. Some of the comments are a little harsh, but I thought that was the pros just being irritated at someone that obviously hasn’t tried to figure out how to shoot…..

As far as the “slowness” of the board it may be from the “in general” depressed, agitated, confrontational, feeling I see in many places these days. Folks just aren’t in the mood or can’t afford to do the things they have in the past……Have you seen the price of gas in California today……filling up your tank to go shoot is enough to put you in a bad mood.

Oct 06, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Oasisbill
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

crabcakes wrote:
I joined a few years ago, but only recently became serious. I don't post photos because I only have a lowly Nikon D90 and no speedlights, etc. yet. I am grateful for what I have gleaned from the pros here.

I too am afraid to ask questions. I am only a hated-by-pros mom with a camera, not a pro. I read here and other sites religiously, trying to learn. I hope my questions are asked by someone else with more guts than I... then I reap the benefit. People do not answer my few PMs.

Having said that, I don't feel this
...Show more
Hi Crabcakes. Here's some inspiration for you. All lowly cameras - in fact much more lowly than yours!!
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6386450

Oct 06, 2012 at 01:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.