Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Over the last week I have had more frequent access to the net and so have been able to see this forum more frequently.

I always enjoy seeing how photography reaches people and always enjoy seeing people photos from around the world, a big part of why I visit this site.

One thing I have noticed is that it appears to be moving much more slowly (less postings) than I remember from 2 years ago.

I wonder why?

Of course I don't have statistics, but I remember a time (or so it seems to me) when there were many more people posting photos, more Europeans and Asians and Africans and Latin Americans participating, and what seemed to me more "life" in the People Forum.

Anyone else have this sense or impression?

Edit:

In response to a few replies below (that indicate that this forum is not as fun, friendly, or fresh as it once was) I thought it would be good to add THIS question to the introduction to this discussion.... I hope YOU ALL will consider this and ADD YOUR ANSWER to the question:

WHAT do you think would make this forum better or more appealing (in which to participate or post either photos or comments or advice or tips or whatever) or more "lively" or nicer?

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 07:04 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:17 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

yep....I have a home office so I check in quite frequently and threads do not move to quickly to the bottom of the page. The other thing I notice is a thread will be on front page for 3 days have 800 views but 2 responses.....but yes I have noticed the same thing

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:34 AM
OneLightStand

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I am more of a lurker here than anything, but seeing people attacked by critics or self-professed experts does take away some of my FM enjoyment...there are talented people here willing to share, as well as people like me eager to learn...when a thread goes off track because of a personal attacks or because of something unrelated to photography, it hurts us all as photographers.

Having said that, I may be totally off base and it could be as simple as "not enough time"...

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:42 AM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Sooo... post some photos

Personally, I've been coming to this particular forum less because it seems like there are more and more NSFW/nude threads and I'm usually viewing/commenting while at work. I'm glad the tags are there so I don't accidently click on them while at work (also not interested in them anyway) but people can still see the tags and get curious what kind of forum I'm looking at. Someone else on here once said that it just seem kind of wrong to have a nude thread right next to a newborn/kids thread and I have to agree. Wish there was a separate forum for these.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:48 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Steady,

I think there's been a pretty significant drop in posts from two years ago. I appreciate OneLightStand's thoughts that there might be attacks on here, but to me it's no different from two years ago, and this forum is the most constructive forum -- and least attacking -- I've found in my five years of being on photography forums.

I'd like to blame it all on Michael and his home office, but obviously it's more than that. And I don't really see a drop in people commenting, simply a drop in the number of posts.

Ron

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:11 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I don't visit this forum too often, but when I do, I feel like I see a lot of the same or similar shots over and over again--standard headshots, babies, seniors, families, etc. Now, I'm not saying that those kinds of things are easy to do and that there isn't any good work in here, but I think we might just be used to seeing it. I can imagine how that would affect the energy of the forum overall.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:53 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

OneLightStand wrote:
I am more of a lurker here than anything, but seeing people attacked by critics or self-professed experts does take away some of my FM enjoyment...there are talented people here willing to share, as well as people like me eager to learn...when a thread goes off track because of a personal attacks or because of something unrelated to photography, it hurts us all as photographers.

Having said that, I may be totally off base and it could be as simple as "not enough time"...

Welcome to internet forums of any kind

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Mike Yamin wrote:
I don't visit this forum too often, but when I do, I feel like I see a lot of the same or similar shots over and over again--standard headshots, babies, seniors, families, etc. Now, I'm not saying that those kinds of things are easy to do and that there isn't any good work in here, but I think we might just be used to seeing it. I can imagine how that would affect the energy of the forum overall.

Exactly

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:32 AM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I've only been here for a few months, but I have noticed a dropoff in postings. I see this in a couple of other fora also. I wonder if so many people have tablets and smart phones that there is just general weariness of being online so much.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:26 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I've noticed it also, though I have no clue why.

I don't see much in the way of attacks or very harsh critiques (I'd actually like to see more) so I don't think that's the reason.

What Mpking said makes sense to me. I also get annoyed at all the nsfw posts.

Mike, I kind of agree, but that's where many people start (and I may be in that category a bit).

I'm all for more posts! And comments

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

OneLightStand wrote:

I agree with you (for the most part).

I think the personal attacks have always been a negative aspect of this forum (and others).

I also think they are one reason many people do not post photos or comments in a forum like this.

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Mpking wrote:
Sooo... post some photos

Personally, I've been coming to this particular forum less because it seems like there are more and more NSFW/nude threads and I'm usually viewing/commenting while at work. I'm glad the tags are there so I don't accidently click on them while at work (also not interested in them anyway) but people can still see the tags and get curious what kind of forum I'm looking at. Someone else on here once said that it just seem kind of wrong to have a nude thread right next to a newborn/kids thread and I have to agree. Wish
...Show more

I feel much the same. I agree that I don't like that NSFW/Nude postings are mixed in with the "family oriented" or young children posts. I think a more focused "NSFW" forum would solve that, and I think it would be a good idea for the members here who feel the same to encourage the site's owner to make one.

Edited on Oct 05, 2012 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

Mike Yamin wrote:

I agree with this too.

When I first started visiting the People forum a few years back, I expected to see much more diversity in the photos, including:

1. Travel photos (from ALL over the world)

2. Street Photography (it pops up occasionally, but not as often as I would expect)

3. "Artsy" photos showing people (and I don't mean lots of photoshop applied to smooth skin).

4. More photos from photographers who live in other places (I live in the USA, but seldom see photos here from Africans or Latin Americans or Indians etc.).

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

deinfaces wrote:
I've only been here for a few months, but I have noticed a dropoff in postings. I see this in a couple of other fora also. I wonder if so many people have tablets and smart phones that there is just general weariness of being online so much.

An interesting point.

I don't view this site or others on my smart phone (shows how smart I am eh?) but I would suspect that viewing photos as shown on a site like this on a smart phone may not have the same visual appeal (small display size) as seeing them on a larger monitor on a home or office PC.

Then there is also the relative slowness or difficulty of commenting if one is texting from a phone (and if that is possible on a forum like this).

So, perhaps the new technology has eliminated some of the pleasure of seeing large photos and some of the ease of commenting? ??

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:55 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

i dont get on some of the pages much like i did.for me its like you ask somebody a question they never answer it or try to help you sometimes.i am not here to take anybody's job from them,i mean you live 6 states from me and you dont want to help.i have talked with a few from here getting info in pm and they have helped a ton.i have pm some and 2 told me not to waist there time when i first got on here.i do sports and if it dont meet the guidelines on that page you better not put it there and things like that.like if i have a problem shooting a game and want info i better ask it in the nikon board.why ask there when its sports,lol.and you better know what the search bar is! lol. guess its just me.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:21 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

i do have tons of things i would like to ask but don't.i just google it and try to learn it that way.i do play around with a lot of things like flash and stuff but still dont understand some things.it would make it better to ask here for other new people but i just dont because some on here will think thats dumb,but they started out like i did.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:34 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

robby521 wrote:
i do have tons of things i would like to ask but don't.i just google it and try to learn it that way.i do play around with a lot of things like flash and stuff but still dont understand some things.it would make it better to ask here for other new people but i just dont because some on here will think thats dumb,but they started out like i did.

Hi,
I have seen people say this forum is only about the "presentation" of photos.

It may be.

But, I also see it as a way for people to share their knowledge or questions etc.

So, from my perspective, asking questions is "good for the forum."

That said, I don't use Nikon gear, so asking a specific question about a camera is probably better asked in the appropriate forum that focuses on hardware issues...or a lighting question in the lighting forum etc.

I also think it would be a shame if a newbie can't feel comfortable asking questions in ANY of these forums on this site, because members who have more experience than the newbie put them down or make them feel unwelcome. I have seen that happen on FM before and believe it is not good for any online community.

On the other hand, I have also been in the position of being asked many questions (off forum in PMs) that do take time to answer and sometimes were not possible for me to answer quickly or easily (I don't have constant access to the net now and must drive 15 miles just to check emails). So, finding someone who is willing to teach you on a local level (for pay or not) is a good alternative.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:49 PM
crabcakes
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

I joined a few years ago, but only recently became serious. I don't post photos because I only have a lowly Nikon D90 and no speedlights, etc. yet. I am grateful for what I have gleaned from the pros here.

I too am afraid to ask questions. I am only a hated-by-pros mom with a camera, not a pro. I read here and other sites religiously, trying to learn. I hope my questions are asked by someone else with more guts than I... then I reap the benefit. People do not answer my few PMs.

Having said that, I don't feel this is an unfriendly forum - I've seen far worse attacks on other forums (Non-photography). I don't find this is a vicious forum, usually!

I never tire of looking at the wonderful shots I find here... same poses, similar locations... it all is grist for me to learn!

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

crabcakes wrote:
I joined a few years ago, but only recently became serious. I don't post photos because I only have a lowly Nikon D90 and no speedlights, etc. yet. I am grateful for what I have gleaned from the pros here.

I too am afraid to ask questions. I am only a hated-by-pros mom with a camera, not a pro. I read here and other sites religiously, trying to learn. I hope my questions are asked by someone else with more guts than I... then I reap the benefit. People do not answer my few PMs.

Having said that, I don't feel this
...Show more

Nice post. Thanks for adding your comments to this discussion.

Don't feel that a "lowly" camera without speedlights will necessarily keep you from making nice photos of which you can be proud.

I started in the digital SLR world with a 3.2 megapixel camera (Canon D30) and a single lens and no flashes. And, some of my very favorite images were made with that camera!

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:42 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Slow forum? Less people posting? WHY?

crabcakes, I agree with Steady Hand. We all like to chase the best equipment (I have a D800 on its way, and lenses can be important), but the D90 is a great camera!

I just did a family portrait session with my D5100 and a borrowed 18-200mm, shot an entire office of doctors when I had a D5000, and before that, a shoe catalog with an Olympus E-420 and an old Nikon 50mm f/1.8. Better equipment makes things easier, but you can still get the job done without it most of the time.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.