Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

This weekend I went to Mount Assiniboine with my oldest son and we hiked to Nub Peak and Windy Ridge.

Here are my best shots from Windy Ridge. Windy Ridge is windy and right on the continental divide. My son beat me up the hill and walked over the narrow natural bridge (that has several thousand feet drop on either side). When I got there between the wind and my legs shaking from the exertion up the hill, I decided to skip the bridge.

But here are the best shots.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

1 of 4 On the way to Windy Ridge looking back toward Mt Assiniboine

2 of 4 The narrow bridge with my Son

3 of 4 - My son's picture of me shooting the narrow bridge

4 of 4 Panorama of the bridge looking east toward Kananaskis Country

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:36 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

They are all nice. #1 is a wonderful combination of excellent light, scenery, skill, and vision. Beautiful.

Oct 05, 2012 at 07:10 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

dgdg: Glad you like them. In retrospect, I might turn the saturation down on 1. Thanks for the great complements. Much appreciated. Scott

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:05 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

In retrospect, there is one flaw. I'm not there!
I think #1 on my current non calibrated monitor looks quite good for contrast and saturation. It has a lot of depth with these without yet looking overdone. To me, it appears natural given the wide variation in lighting. I might fiddle with decreased saturation of the tan grass/tundra only to keep me from focusing on it instead of the main subject.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:13 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Nice shots. I like the 1st most.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:16 AM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

like no 1 scott...much depth to the dimension of the foto..cloud shadows and light patches in the forground, a mysterious element to the summit hidden in clouds...good capture..bill

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:35 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Good stuff, Scott. #1 really catches my eye though.

-Nick

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:51 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

1 really is a grand shot photo Scott, I love it. The other 3 make me yearn to go for a hike there, what an amazing place.

Tim

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:55 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

I'd love to have a signed copy of #1 hanging on my wall

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:09 PM
gtg844f
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Love the first one!!!

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

All very nice but the 1st one is my favorite. I wish it had a touch more contrast but it's a wonderful shot nonetheless.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

dgdg: Thanks for the specific suggestions. I will work on the processing. Next time you can be there Much appreciated. Scott

helenica: Glad you like them and 1 in particular. Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

nwadventurer7: Glad you like it. Shooting near noon almost toward the sun creates difficulties in processing. So I am glad you like it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

nburwell: Glad you like number 1. I guess I should take another run at improving it. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Tim Kuhn: It is a great place with endless photographic opportunity. And very few people which is a nice treat. Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

lukeb: Thats the greatest complement. Next time I am there I will walk in the dark to this point for the sunrise shot. You are welcome to have a copy but getting it signed would be difficult. Just follow my smugmug link. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

gtg844f: Glad you like it. It was a great hike with great company. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Vern Dewit: I will see what I can do with the contrast. It was shot into the sun so it requires subtle processing. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Here is a bit more contrast:

Edited on Oct 06, 2012 at 12:10 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:43 PM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Hi Scott,

#1 looks absolutely stunning, but was an ND Grad used here? There is a obvious linear shade which cuts across the mountain tops and the middle of the clouds.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Very nice images Scott... I really like No1due to it's moodiness.

Great work.

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:10 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

nwadventurer7 wrote:
like no 1 scott...much depth to the dimension of the foto..cloud shadows and light patches in the forground, a mysterious element to the summit hidden in clouds...good capture..bill

+1 Scott - #1 is epic.

Phil

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:07 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Vern Dewit wrote:
All very nice but the 1st one is my favorite. I wish it had a touch more contrast but it's a wonderful shot nonetheless.

+1. And I like the saturation as it is now. Great!

Oct 06, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

krickett:I am glad you like it. I never use ND grad. I have found them to be too difficult in the mountains for the reason you mention. This is 3 bracketed exposure shots, turned into hdr and then blended with the single normal exposure. I don't see the gradient you are talking about - maybe it is just the pixelation from down sampling. I will look again. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Nigel Turner: Glad you like it. It was a nice overcast morning that saved the day from high noon shooting. Glad you like 1. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

philtax: It is an epic view. I am going to visit again and find this at early light. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dwa652: Glad you like it. I am trying to lure you back again for next year. It is a great spot. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Oct 06, 2012 at 01:10 AM
OneLightStand

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Great shots & very well done!...I live here and shots like this remind me that I have to get out more!

Oct 06, 2012 at 07:09 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Thse are great shots. Very well excuted. love the composition.
Harsha

Oct 06, 2012 at 08:08 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Windy Ridge in Mt Assiniboine Park

Onelightstand: We live in an area that is 2nd to none - if I did not have a job and a family I would be out all the time. Its a great place. Glad I could remind you. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Harshaj1: Glad you like them. It was so cold (i should have put my overpants over my shorts) and I was so tired at the top, I ran out of ambition to shoot more. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Oct 06, 2012 at 12:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.