Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

Just curious if there is a preferred method to mount large umbrellas to strobe units. Using a speedring will ensure the light is perfectly centered on the umbrella, but will this weaken the latches on the strobe unit? Especially if using outdoors even in light or no wind? All the weight, even at <10 lbs, stressing the unit as opposed to a shaft guide on the top of the unit seems like it could eventually weaken or possibly break the latches or tabs used to mount the speedring. Thoughts?

Kevin

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:21 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

no_surrender wrote:
Just curious if there is a preferred method to mount large umbrellas to strobe units. Using a speedring will ensure the light is perfectly centered on the umbrella, but will this weaken the latches on the strobe unit? Especially if using outdoors even in light or no wind? All the weight, even at <10 lbs, stressing the unit as opposed to a shaft guide on the top of the unit seems like it could eventually weaken or possibly break the latches or tabs used to mount the speedring. Thoughts?

It would depend on the mount. On Profoto, for example, there are no latches or tabs to weaken.

Brian A

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:39 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

Depends on size, too. Profoto allows their XL (65") umbrella to mount through the 7mm umbrella holder of standard heads, but the Giants have an entirely different design that relieves the head from carrying any load besides itself.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

Kevin,

Different manufacturers provide different methods of mounting umbrellas. My Calumet Travelites have the umbrella shaft mounted to the reflector, which is not a good method when a large umbrella is desired. I broke the assembly off a reflector when trying to use a large Westcott parabolic with the Travelite. My solution was to place another C-stand fitted with a simple umbrella adapter next to the C-stand with the Travelite. Because C-stands nest so well together, it is easy to position the umbrella as if it were mounted to the light.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:54 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

Steve Wylie wrote:
Kevin,

Different manufacturers provide different methods of mounting umbrellas. My Calumet Travelites have the umbrella shaft mounted to the reflector, which is not a good method when a large umbrella is desired. I broke the assembly off a reflector when trying to use a large Westcott parabolic with the Travelite. My solution was to place another C-stand fitted with a simple umbrella adapter next to the C-stand with the Travelite. Because C-stands nest so well together, it is easy to position the umbrella as if it were mounted to the light.

And a C-/grip stand would do this better than a lightstand? Why, pray tell.

Brian A

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:06 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I should have mentioned first, but I was asking the question in general, but will be mounting the umbrella to a PCB Einstein...if that helps.

Kevin

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:21 AM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mounting umbrellas to strobe (shaft or speedring?)

And a C-/grip stand would do this better than a lightstand? Why, pray tell.

Brian A

You can place the C-Stands VERY close together, which you can't do with a regular light stand. It's a great idea I would never have thought of.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.