Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to speed up your LR4.2

andrewho
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to speed up your LR4.2

Previously I wrote a post on deleting/renaming the LR4 preferences file to speed up LR4, but I only found this to be a temporary fix. It didn't fix it permanently. A few people on the adobe forums are saying it's caused by a corrupt preferences file. I haven't explored the route of regenerating the file and making it read-only so LR4 can't "corrupt" it.

However, I have done some exhaustive researching (mainly through google) on why LR4 has been a turtle. A lot of people claim that it used to be fast (almost as fast as LR3 days). I didn't understand why LR3 was so much faster than LR4 and it was infuriating when I needed to sit down and edit. But after doing a couple things, it is pretty quick for me now and has stayed this way. Your set-up might vary, but here is mine:

2011 MBP 17" i7 2.2ghz 16gb ram
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Thunderbolted to an Apple Cinema 24" and daisy chained to the Promise Pegasus R4 array.

Here is what I changed:

- I made OSX start in 64bit mode, when it was only running 32bit normally (important since this allows OSX to access the full 16gb of ram)

- Potentially corrupted ICC colour profiles. So I went ahead and backed them up and deleted mine and recalibrated afterwards if required.

- LR4.2 cache size. I increased it from 20gb to 80gb on the same drive that LR4 was running. Purge your Cache.

- I found that OSX on my MBP was tremendously slower when I hooked up an external display so I disabled the internal display (http://gizmodo.com/5938452/a-trick-to-make-using-an-external-monitor-with-your-macbook-way-better) and this has been incredibly better. Has to do with the graphics card having to support two displays when natively it is only meant for one.

- Resolution. I find if I decreased the resolution of my cinema display, from 2560 to 1920x? ( the highest resolution of the 17" mbp) LR4 is marginally faster. You can even test this by resizing the LR4 window and seeing how much faster it is.

- LR4 Catalog Settings -> File Handling.
-> Standard Preview Size (set to 1024, unless you need higher)
-> Preview Quality (set to low)

- Render 1:1 previews on Import

- Optimize Catalog

Hope this helps some of you LR4 users out. Your mileage may vary

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:16 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to speed up your LR4.2

On 4.1, after deleting the pref file, it's been the fastest version I've ever used - yes, EVER used. I'm hesitant to upgrade to 4.2.

Can anyone confirm that the first-time develop module start up lag is gone?

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:49 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to speed up your LR4.2

Thanks Andrew! You've made my head hurt.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:50 PM
Evan JF Roth
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to speed up your LR4.2

I'm running on the same setup, thanks for the info!

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:55 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to speed up your LR4.2

I sped up my LR4 with a slightly different method.

1) Tell osx to boot in 64bit mode
2) purge cache and reload all profiles
3) throw entire machine out 10th story window

You will see a short burst in speed, although you may experience some issues
shortly after.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:59 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to speed up your LR4.2

im really confused why so many people have this speed problem. I am using a 3 yo desktop I bought online through costco. No problem at all.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:10 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to speed up your LR4.2

4.2 upgrade only with previous pref file delete. Even faster now.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:12 PM
andrewho
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to speed up your LR4.2

Robin Usagani wrote:
im really confused why so many people have this speed problem. I am using a 3 yo desktop I bought online through costco. No problem at all.

consider yourself lucky then

what camera are you using ?

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:19 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to speed up your LR4.2

woah woah woah

how do you tell oxs to boot in 64 bit mode? i just assumed it was automatically 64 bit and lr4 was running as 64 bit.

this could be huge for me if i'm missing this....

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to speed up your LR4.2

andrewho wrote:
consider yourself lucky then

what camera are you using ?

Mainly 5D II

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:28 PM
andrewho
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to speed up your LR4.2

Ah,

The slowness affects 5D3/d800 mainly.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:52 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to speed up your LR4.2

oh. my. god.

a YEAR of bitching about this thing not performing well and it's because it was booting in 32 bit mode! i am a complete moron.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:04 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to speed up your LR4.2

Ok so if there are any people reading this with windows... how do I find out whether my win7 x64 is actually booting in 64 bit mode? Or is physically impossible for win7 x64 to boot any other way?

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:12 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to speed up your LR4.2

Win7 can be installed as either a 32 or 64 bit version. To find out which way it's running, start the file explorer, right click on the computer icon, select properties and it should tell you everything you need to know.

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:29 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to speed up your LR4.2

The Win update always checks and installs the correct bitrate.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:17 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to speed up your LR4.2

thanks cas5, amonline. Yes, I checked and it's running on 64bit. I'm clutching at straws, I think.

Another thing, I have 16g ram and I have to wonder if LR4 is actually making good use of this however I'm not sure how to check this.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:22 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to speed up your LR4.2

louloulou wrote:
thanks cas5, amonline. Yes, I checked and it's running on 64bit. I'm clutching at straws, I think.

Another thing, I have 16g ram and I have to wonder if LR4 is actually making good use of this however I'm not sure how to check this.

if you're on Windows, you can check your processes (Click start, then run. Next type "taskmgr" then hit enter or Right click on the taskbar and click "task manager".)

if you're on Mac, run Activity Monitor (easiest way Command Spacebar to bring up Spotlight, and type in "Activity Monitor")

Both show how much CPU/Mem your processes are utilizing.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password