Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

merv.carr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Now some may call me nuts, but I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands.

I had a 5D classic (bought it secondhand with unknown mileage), always had the nagging thought in the back of my head that it might fail on me at some point. So, when I came across a 5DmkII with very low shutter counts with a 24-105 L lens for about $1000 less than brand new I jumped at it. I am very happy with it, but am far from being a pro photog (i.e. it is a hobby only). Now the nagging thought creeps into my head, do I really need all this resolution and MPness?

I then came across a 40D with extremely low shutter counts (less than 2700) from a reputable dealer (Henry's in Toronto) for $450 incl taxes and shipping. I also used to have a 40D and was pretty happy with the results.

Now, I guess the question is, should I keep the 40D, sell the 5DmkII and use the money to buy really good glass, or stay with the 5D mkII? I have been comparing the image quality between the 40D, 5Dc, Rebel XT, and 5D mkII and cannot (on my Apple 21.5" screen) see a huge difference in picture quality.

I am really torn now and would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Cheers

Merv

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:23 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

What question is that ? Keep the 5D MK2 !!!

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:27 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

keep the 5D III

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:40 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

I just sold my 40D and 5D2 to get the 5D3 so having had both cameras together for a few years here's my 2 cents: keep the 5D2.

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Kmccarthy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

merv.carr wrote:
I have been comparing the image quality between the 40D, 5Dc, Rebel XT, and 5D mkII and cannot (on my Apple 21.5" screen) see a huge difference in picture quality.

I am really torn now and would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Try taking a picture in low-light at ISO 3200 or 6400 on the 5DII and compare it to the others. You will see a big difference!! With a fast lens, the 5DII can almost "see in the dark"! It is quite amazing.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

I have those three:
- yes, 5D2 has better resolution and IQ than the other two, but you need a different type of battery and bigger capacity memory cards.(do you really need a movie camera ?)
- 40D has a better preview screen than 5Dc but lesser IQ - great for LF lenses above 200mm as you get more reach with some compromiises. (makes a great IR convertion camera too)
- 5Dc still a great camera, if you don't need to shot at high iso, but the preview screen sucks
(unless you going to print really large prints or going pro/selling. as 10mb pics have enough resolution/IQ for most people/casual shooters)

I would rather invest in better glass and keep 5Dc and 40D, and wait for the 5D4 (I have already what I need)
with that said if it wasn't for the live view on the 5D2 (and afew other perks, too obviously), as I do macro and often use MFand TS-E lenses, I would sell my 5D2 as I still having a tough time deciding to sell my 5Dc.

Without the 5Dc as part of your choices, then the 5D2 wins

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:29 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

What do you usually take pictures of? Unless you don't need the benefit of full frame and shooting in high ISO, you could go with the 40D. However, if you're into shooting portraits and landscapes, you should consider keeping the 5DII.

-Nick

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:35 PM
merv.carr
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Thanks for all the comments so far. Yeah, I guess I am mainly into portraits, landscape and dabble with macro as well. 40D arrives tomorrow, going to be a bit awkward 'splaining to the wife

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Well having had a 40D I will say its a great camera. But would I prefer it ove a5D2 ? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO .....................

You question the need for "all the mp's" of the 5D2 , but actually when you take into consideration the fact that if you cropped it down to the APS-c sized sensor of the 40D you would have slightly less mp than the 40D (so if you shoot wider and crop of the edges you can have an 8mp camera)

Other than the outer AF points I can't think of anything the 40D can do better than the 5D2 (or even as well) , and that includes the faster FPS . I never found the 6fps to be much use on te 40D as I found it just could not AF well enough on a moving target at 6Fps . Infact I tested it out on a running dog (she's nuts and will chase a ball all day) and got more in focus shots at the slower fps setting than I did from a burst of 6fps

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Well I also had a 40D and hated it, then got 1 50D and loved it, then a 5D II and loved it so much that I added a 5D III which is even better. I doubt that I'd ever get an APS-C camera again.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

faremax
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Well having had a 40D I will say its a great camera. But would I prefer it ove a5D2 ? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO .....................

My feelings exactly. I've owned 40D, 50D and still owe 5DII. Both 40D and 50D can't come even close to what 5DII is capable of. But on the other hand if you don't see a difference then buy yourself cheapest body you can get and invest in glass. But if you can't see the differences in IQ so easily then investing in good glass might not be a good idea too. There are no guarantees that you will see any difference in IQ as well.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Carson Wilcox wrote:
Well I also had a 40D and hated it, then got 1 50D and loved it, then a 5D II and loved it so much that I added a 5D III which is even better. I doubt that I'd ever get an APS-C camera again.

Funny, I had a 40D (in fact I still have it , I really need to get round to selling it) and got a 50D thinking I would keep the one I liked most. The 50D was nice but I couldn't see what it did better than the 40D so I sold it. I then got the 7D and that does everything better .
Other than the fact I don't need or want FF at the moment (maybe when 5D3 prices become sensible)I would still choose to keep the 5D2

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Mpking
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

One of the main reasons I went full frame was to be able to take advantage of canon's prime lenses at their intended focal lengths. There is only 1 EF-S prime lens!

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:07 AM
maxxevv
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Having owned both the cameras personally , I'll pick the 5DII any day.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:14 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Can you afford to keep the 5dmk2?

If so, keep it.

If not, sell it.

Oct 05, 2012 at 09:37 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

The 40D is a faster body with slightly better dynamic range and better AF tracking. I replaced one with a 50D. That was a mistake, it actually had inferior image quality and no other significant advantages. I replaced the 50D with a 5D II. Speed aside, I haven't missed the 40D.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:09 AM
merv.carr
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

Thanks for all the collective wisdom. The 40D arrived today, guess I will keep it a while and try make some objective comparisons. (although the collective opinion does seem to favour the 5d 2 overwhelmingly, I am still not convinced in my mind that I, or any other amateurs, really need all that much camera)

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:47 PM
py2000
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

How much would you sell your 5D2 for?

Oct 05, 2012 at 05:58 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

40d is a nice little x0d camera. Seems like for that era of tech, 10mp was the sweet spot for a 1.6x sensor.

But the 5d2 is plainly better except for reach limited situations.

Oct 05, 2012 at 06:35 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 40D vs Canon 5D mkII

for reach, i'd definitely rec the 7d, followed by the 40d as the best bang for buck for reach.

Oct 05, 2012 at 07:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password