New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

espressogeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

Hey gang, If I put a 82mm polarizer on a 16-35mm with an adapter ring will it eliminate most vignetting? I would like to put a Cokin Z holder on top of it sometimes too. I've looked around and couldn't find anything definitive so I thought I would ask the pros.

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

There shouldn't be too much -- there isn't a whole lot with a 77mm thin polarizer, either. Maybe below 20mm or so.

Keep in mind that at those focal lengths, it's not a good idea to use a polarizer to darken skies -- the effect will be very uneven. You'll be better off with some selective color work in processing.

It can still be useful for reducing sheen on foliage at those focal lengths, though, which is not something you can really do in post.

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:35 AM
espressogeek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

Smiert,
Thanks for the feedback. I thought if the camera was turned vertically the polarizer might be useful at wider focal lengths. Also, I planned to use it in Antelope Canyon where I've read the polarizer helps with color saturation. Do you think these would be valid use cases for a polarizer where the FL is fairly short?

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:46 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

I would use a polarizer anywhere you are concerned about overall saturation. I use it more for this than for its reflection cutting abilities.

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:03 AM
espressogeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

DavidWEGS, thanks for the feedback. This is primarily why I enjoy a polarizer. Maybe I don't photograph shiny wet objects enough.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 16-35/4 and 82mm Polarizer

Yeah, should be fine for that.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.