Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Off camera flash

rjs14
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Off camera flash

Hello all,

I am getting ready to buy my first off camera flash and I know NOTHING about them. I am shooting a Canon 40D. Can anyone recommend a model??

Thanks!!

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:33 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Off camera flash

Depends on your budget. Since you are just starting out, get one with E-TTL compatibility so that you don't have to manually set the flash settings. The best bang for the buck is a Yongnuo YN 565EX which is their version of the Canon 580 II and comes new for $150 or so. Your 40D does not have a wireless flash trigger so you will also need a ST-E2 (not sure it is compatible with the YN 565EX though). I do not know if Yongnuo has a wireless trigger system.

If you want to do much better, the latest Canon 600 EX with a partnering ST-E3 for radio communications rather than just line of sight. This combo will be a lot more expensive.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:59 PM
rjs14
• • •
p.1 #3 · Off camera flash

vsg28 wrote:
Depends on your budget. Since you are just starting out, get one with E-TTL compatibility so that you don't have to manually set the flash settings. The best bang for the buck is a Yongnuo YN 565EX which is their version of the Canon 580 II and comes new for $150 or so. Your 40D does not have a wireless flash trigger so you will also need a ST-E2 (not sure it is compatible with the YN 565EX though). I do not know if Yongnuo has a wireless trigger system.

If you want to do much better, the latest Canon 600
...Show more

Thanks vsg28! I will check it out!

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password