FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Need a tripod

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need a tripod

Dustin Gent wrote:
I was going to get a carbon fibre tripod, but after research and checking them out, I decided against carbon fibre. If I shot in different conditions, I would probably go with something lighter. The Manfrotto 055XProB is what I ended up getting.

It worked excellent with my 1Ds + various lenses. I use it with my F5 right now. The only downside to this tripod is that it is not the most compact or lightest weight. I have hiked probably 200 miles or so with this in my hand. The weight has upsides though. While the carbon fibre
...Show more

This Manfrotto is an awesome tripod. I have this one, and the carbon FIber version. I don't understand all the oomments about waiting and saving money for a good tripod... this is a "good" tripod. And it can be had for less then $400. I can not recommend this tripod enough.

If this tripod isn't good enough, I would sure like to hear why from someone. Like Dustin, mine has been down the creek and up over the mountain, and it just keeps on ticking... It locks solid, it's stable, and it's not overly heavy.

Jim

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:36 AM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need a tripod

JimFox wrote:
This Manfrotto is an awesome tripod. I have this one, and the carbon FIber version. I don't understand all the oomments about waiting and saving money for a good tripod... this is a "good" tripod. And it can be had for less then $400. I can not recommend this tripod enough.

If this tripod isn't good enough, I would sure like to hear why from someone. Like Dustin, mine has been down the creek and up over the mountain, and it just keeps on ticking... It locks solid, it's stable, and it's not overly heavy.

Jim

I owned the 055 briefly, but since moved to a Gitzo 2530. Granted it was my fault, but I managed to crack the center column of the Manfrotto quite easily. I prefer the Gitzo because it’s proven to be more resistant to my kind of abuse, has leg locks that can’t snag anything, and is less resonant. It's also more nicely styled IMHO, although that's technically irrelevant.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:24 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need a tripod

My buddy has a gitzo carbon, with twist lock legs, and recently two of the locks locked up so bad from salt and sand and dirt that he had to chuck the leg in a vise, heat the twist lock with a torch, and free it with a vise grip....twist locks blow..flip locks are where it's at....funny thing is, his gitzo weighs the same as my manfrotto 190...his goes about 6" higher, but if you shoot low to mid heights, who cares...

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:33 AM
blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need a tripod

I am more confused than ever. However, the Benro on Ebay looks pretty good for my needs, which are not many. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benro-A2691TB1-A2691-Mg-Aluminum-Tripod-Kit-TravelAngeL-/130777381774?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e72f07b8e

Any warnings about this setup? BTW, I don't need the monopod feature of this outfit. I already have a good mono.

B

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:45 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need a tripod

blutch wrote:
I am more confused than ever. However, the Benro on Ebay looks pretty good for my needs, which are not many. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benro-A2691TB1-A2691-Mg-Aluminum-Tripod-Kit-TravelAngeL-/130777381774?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item1e72f07b8e

Any warnings about this setup? BTW, I don't need the monopod feature of this outfit. I already have a good mono.

B

The monopod on those doesn't raise up high enough either. Doesn't go nearly as high as it does in tripod mode. If you're going to go with a Benro you might look at the Benro equivalent that DOESN'T have the built-in monopod because I believe they are cheaper. You might even end up having enough money left over for a better ball head. I know of a guy who bought a Benro travel angel and ended up selling his small Gitzo because he preferred the Benro.

brad

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:52 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Need a tripod

I have Benro's of varying load capacity and love them. I also have a Manfrotto 351MVB2 that I put a 520BALL Half Ball Leveler with 3/8-Inch Screw on and love it. I don't love its weight though. However, its a rock solid platform with a spreader.

The Benro Travel Angel's are absolutely fantastic, but I would heed DigMeTX's warning about the integrated monopod issue. I didn't opt for the monopod feature either. I did get the Benro stand alone monopod.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:02 AM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Need a tripod

Do you happen to know the model number of the Benro without the monopod?

Thanks!

B

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:03 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Need a tripod

Here is the announcement
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10056-11011

Without digging in my truck to find my model #, I'll see if I can find it.

Note they make the T/A's in Carbon Fiber and aluminum, so you have to make up your mind which you want. If you are hiking or packing in, I would say the C/F is your choice.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Nickyb21
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Need a tripod

Here you go

Tripod http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479931-REG/Manfrotto_190XB_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black.html
Ballhead http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660321-REG/Manfrotto_496RC2_496RC2_Compact_Ball_Head.html

You wont stand up straight, but its a great setup and you cant beat the price. This will last you quite some time.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:17 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Need a tripod

blutch wrote:
Do you happen to know the model number of the Benro without the monopod?

Thanks!

B

The exact equivalent to that except without monopod is A2690TB1

The carbon fiber version actually does seem to be in your price range - C2690TB1
It's about a half lb lighter.

brad

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:22 AM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Need a tripod

Can't find the one without monopod on BH or Fleabay. Pretty good deals on Fleabay.. might go for it. Thanks for the help.

B

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:57 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Need a tripod

Avi B wrote:
+1000.
Seriously. Save your money and get the proper tripod that you will actually use.

+1000000 Basically the long version of what I said.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Need a tripod

NathanHamler wrote:
My buddy has a gitzo carbon, with twist lock legs, and recently two of the locks locked up so bad from salt and sand and dirt that he had to chuck the leg in a vise, heat the twist lock with a torch, and free it with a vise grip....twist locks blow..flip locks are where it's at....funny thing is, his gitzo weighs the same as my manfrotto 190...his goes about 6" higher, but if you shoot low to mid heights, who cares...

Old issue with the old style twist locks ... the twist locks eliminate that issue.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Need a tripod

which one do you suggest, carbon or the normal one?

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Need a tripod

JTS1 wrote:
I agree with the posts on saving your money. I have a Gitzo and Really Right Stuff. Gitzo broke and they would not honor their warranty even though I had the receipt (and it was not damaged due to wear - just poor design). RRS are incredibly good and stable. You won't need another tripod in your life. And the best thing is that it is made in the US.

what broke on your gitzo?

having poor to no support doesn't surprise me though. none of those companies with just one importer and nooffices in the US have any decent support of any sort.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:42 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Need a tripod

blutch wrote:
Can't find the one without monopod on BH or Fleabay. Pretty good deals on Fleabay.. might go for it. Thanks for the help.

B

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-SELL-BENRO-C2690TB1-Travel-Angel-Series-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-Ball-Head-/230703323627?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item35b6fd59eb

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Need a tripod

Get the heaviest tripod that you're willing to carry.

I now have a Gitzo 3-series with Markins M10. Not cheap, but I am good for a while.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:01 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Need a tripod

Avi B wrote:
Get the heaviest tripod that you're willing to carry.

I now have a Gitzo 3-series with Markins M10. Not cheap, but I am good for a while.

Good advice - remember that the lighter tripods will exhibit shake, especially when there is wind present. So you need to carry a weight bag (make sure the t-pod has a hook) to attach weight bag (or sash weight) or get a heavier tripod.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Need a tripod

well a weight bag really isn't needed as a seperate item. i use the bag my gear is in. that usually does the job with an adjustable strap.

the stories of failure of given gear are generally colored by the lack of detail and backstory and even funnier the lack of images.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:12 PM
Awasos23
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Need a tripod

I've got the Manfrotto 055 pro or whatever it's called. It's aluminum and I have beat the crap out of it for the last 4.5 years. It's been dropped, dunked, used as a walking stick, tossed around the back of my car, in the sea, in the rain, just about everything. Works great still. I would love a lighter tripod, but the cost to function ratio just isn't there for me. I'd rather get a nicer ballhead soon.

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.