FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Need a tripod

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a tripod

I need to buy a tripod and ball head.

I am overwhelmed by the choices and model numbers. I wouldn't mind buying something used or new for that matter.

I am 6 ft. tall. I have a monopod that allows me to stand up straight. I would like the same in a tripod. I am a semi-pro shooter, but would most likely not use my tripod professionally. So, I do not need the best thing ever.

I need something middle of the road that is easy to adjust and will hold the camera stable for portraits and landscape shots. I could spend about $400 on both.

Suggestions?

B

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:21 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a tripod

First you need to tell us what is the heaviest setup (camera, lens, grip, etc...) that you are planning to mount on the tripod. I was in the same position and settled on a used Manfrotto 190XPROB with a Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head. My heaviest setup is a Nikon D700 with a Nikon 80-200 2.8D. Now I heard it should handle this decently.

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 08:54 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:36 AM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a tripod

see if you can't find a gitzo 1 series used, not sure which ballhead is good in that price range though.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:38 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a tripod

In your price range you might look at the Flashpoint F-series head. I bought an F3 and it has been stable though when you tighten the ball head it does pull down towards the knob ever so slightly. You're not going to be buying any RRS or Markins in your price range.

I got my Hakuba HG-503MX carbon fiber tripod plus F3 head for about $270 total. I've been happy with it. It was a great value overall and Thom Hogan recommended the Hakuba for those on a budget.

brad

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 01:13 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a tripod

blutch wrote:

I am overwhelmed by the choices and model numbers. I wouldn't mind buying something used or new for that matter.

I am 6 ft. tall. I have a monopod that allows me to stand up straight. I would like the same in a tripod. I am a semi-pro shooter, but would most likely not use my tripod professionally. So, I do not need the best thing ever.

I need something middle of the road that is easy to adjust and will hold the camera stable for portraits and landscape shots. I could spend about
...Show more

Go to Really Right Stuff website and get everything you need. They have the best tripods and ballheads IMO.

Oct 04, 2012 at 12:52 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need a tripod

Gregg B. wrote:
Go to Really Right Stuff website and get everything you need. They have the best tripods and ballheads IMO.

For $400?? I don't think so.

brad

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:11 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need a tripod

blutch wrote:

I need something middle of the road that is easy to adjust and will hold the camera stable for portraits and landscape shots. I could spend about
...Show more

Not to be rude, but save your money. Get a good tripod or don't bother ... if you don't start with a good tripod, you will end up either not using it, not getting the results you want, or upgrading later anyway. Remeber, a good tripod lasts a lifetime .... easily 50+ years. Buy once and be happy.

Gitzo 3541 with an Acratech GV2 or a RRS BH55 ... Sorry but that runs about $1200.

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:27 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need a tripod

Manfrotto 190xb, and a smith victor BH5 head is what i use...laugh all you want, it's solid and light...only thing is it's not super tall...get the 055xb if you need more height...also, the "pro" models of both these have that cool variable angle post, for basically the same price...

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:41 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need a tripod

Be on the watch at B&S. There was a like-new Gitzo 0540 with a RRS BH25 ball head for $400. I got my Manfrotto 190PROB & 496RC2 for $115 like new.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Ken Robb

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need a tripod

Read this article from Thom Hogan 1st. It will save you money in the long run> Tripod 101

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:32 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need a tripod

The heaviest setup will be a gripped D700 with a 70-200mm VRII.

$1200?? no way for me. I have looked at the used ones in the BS, but I'm having a real problem knowing what's a decent deal and what isn't. What I need and what I don't need. I mostly hand hold except when I don't.

MA

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need a tripod

I was going to get a carbon fibre tripod, but after research and checking them out, I decided against carbon fibre. If I shot in different conditions, I would probably go with something lighter. The Manfrotto 055XProB is what I ended up getting.

It worked excellent with my 1Ds + various lenses. I use it with my F5 right now. The only downside to this tripod is that it is not the most compact or lightest weight. I have hiked probably 200 miles or so with this in my hand. The weight has upsides though. While the carbon fibre ones are lighter, they get tossed around in the creeks/rivers, whereas this beast stands sturdy.

Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I bought this in Feb 2011 and havent really been out shooting since June. Needless to say, it is durable. Oh and it was in Eagle Creek for 10 days submerged (long story, but I found it!).. still works! Sorry for the crappy photo.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kQ3BcQEZAoQ/UG3qqXXYZ1I/AAAAAAAAHAE/9kD9pZQbaMQ/s640/tripod.jpg

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need a tripod

DigMeTX wrote:
For $400?? I don't think so.

brad

Oh, sorry, you're right with $400 budget there won't be much there. Maybe a ballhead only...

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:24 PM
shifu
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need a tripod

Here is a tripod suggestion, the 3 legged thing Brian. There's also another model that is a 4 section tripod and goes even taller (3 legged thing Eric), but this one suits my needs and has a good price. The ball head is also excellent and supports alot of weight. You can search for 3 legged thing on youtube and see how it looks. It goes very tall, well over 6 ft and is extremely sturdy. It is also quite compact when folded up.

http://www.adorama.com/3LTX11KITBL.html

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:24 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need a tripod

look into Benro side of pods - they are fairly inexpensive, made well, sturdy, and depending on model very light and portable - some even come with decent ballhead. I have A2691TB1 and love it - been in rain and shine all over the world and still going.

also if you do decide to go with it get it from fleabay - they are way less there !!! Not trying to promote it but retail for mine was 499.99 back in the days and I paid 239.99

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:23 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need a tripod

As long as you are not using super teles
My recommendation is

Feisol 3442
Sirui K30x ballhead

I use these, I'm just shy of 6'4" and the combination with D800 sits just an inch or 2 below my eye.

The big bonus is the weight. This combination is so light, I realized how much I hated my Manfrotto 055xdb tripod (weight). It was a tank, but weighed like one too.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:40 PM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need a tripod

Manfrotto tripods are very reliable. Either 055 or the 190 series are affordable. I had my 055 dropped so many times at highway speeds on my motorbike due to loose bunjy cords but hell, it only had a scratch. 190 series are lighter but I would say same caliber as the 055. Go for these. Cheers.

My Flickr Gallery
My interesting photos on Flickriver
my Deviantart gallery

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need a tripod

Ken Robb wrote:
Read this article from Thom Hogan 1st. It will save you money in the long run> Tripod 101

+1000.
Seriously. Save your money and get the proper tripod that you will actually use.

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:29 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need a tripod

I have to agree with those saying "Wait"... Save until you can get a good one... Also do not let the idea of "Lighter is better" effect your choice.. In heavy wind a solid tripod is needed... I use the Feisol 3371 which I believe is tall enough to accommodate you... Likewise, a nice Arca Swiss Z 1 will serve you well... I use the RRS BH 55 and love it... I have tried most tripods and head combo's and you will get what you pay for...

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:52 PM
JTS1
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need a tripod

I agree with the posts on saving your money. I have a Gitzo and Really Right Stuff. Gitzo broke and they would not honor their warranty even though I had the receipt (and it was not damaged due to wear - just poor design). RRS are incredibly good and stable. You won't need another tripod in your life. And the best thing is that it is made in the US.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.