Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

Derek Weston
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

This indeed causes a shutter actuation, correct? I understand you're not able to access the files that are used to create the movie file... so it made me wonder exactly how this was behaving. I had always just assumed it was indeed a bunch of shutter clicks put together to form the timelapse clip.

(note: had searched for more info on the web... wasn't finding a detailed explanation... which again made me assume the obvious, just wanted verification from owners here)

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:43 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #2 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

It does cause an actuation.

Oct 04, 2012 at 12:11 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

moonpeep wrote:
This indeed causes a shutter actuation, correct?

Many, many actuations...

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:00 AM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #4 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

I think you misunderstand timelapse. The camera has an intervalometer which lets you take picture at prescribed time intervals (for example... 600 pictures at 1 pictures per 5 seconds). It generates pictures files.

It does not automatically make timelapse clips (you take the images to software to do that).

Unless......... this was a feature I wasn't informed of?

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

krickett wrote:
I think you misunderstand timelapse. The camera has an intervalometer which lets you take picture at prescribed time intervals (for example... 600 pictures at 1 pictures per 5 seconds). It generates pictures files.

It does not automatically make timelapse clips (you take the images to software to do that).

The D600 will allow you to see your time-lapse as a 24fps movie in camera. I'm not sure if you can save it that way, I haven't tried it yet.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:42 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #6 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

krickett wrote:

The D800/e will make HD timelapses in video mode. It's a nice, easy to use feature (if you don't need full res files) that's about as automatic as you can get. Not sure about shutter actuations tho.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:55 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

krickett wrote:

The latest Nikon cameras offer both options... you can use the intervalometer to shoot a sequence of full-resolution NEF or JPG files and then process the files and assemble them into a timelapse sequence using the software of your choice (I like the LRTimelapse plugin for LightRoom), or you can use the camera's built-in timelape feature to shoot lower-resolution video in-camera, using the JPG picture control settings.

The drawbacks to using the built-in timelapse feature are the lower resolution and inability to access or process the files, but it takes up a lot less memory than shooting full-res files.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:06 PM
TSY87
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · really dumb question: d800 (or other nikon) timelapse mode

I was wondering what the time lapse mode did... thanks for clarifying!

I will stick to the intervalometer.

Oct 05, 2012 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password