Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Spot inside prism? 1D3

Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spot inside prism? 1D3

I have a spot which seems to be inside the pentaprism of my 1D3

It's not on the sensor and does not show up in images, it's not on the mirror or either side of the focus screen, and it's not on the outside of the bottom of the prism (the only visible & cleanable part of the prism after taking out focus screen). It may be on another side of the prism and only appears to be on the bottom?

The spot is small, about the size of a dust spot .. but it's very dark & dense looking. Lubricant?
Bit of a mystery .. anyone have something like this happen to them?

And I know I can send it into Canon, and that cleaning internals can cause damage, and that all kinds of evil can happen by touching the bottom of your prism, and your skin will melt if you touch the mirror
What I'd like to hear is experience from someone who has had the same thing happen to them .. thanks!

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spot inside prism? 1D3

If it's in sharp focus, it is above the focusing screen either on the SI plate or pentaprism. The SI plate is plastic and even more delicate than the focusing screen but can be removed and blown off. Most people make it worse and end up replacing the SI plate...

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:31 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spot inside prism? 1D3

My guess is that it is between the SI plate (the one where the red focus points appear) and the pentaprism. If someone used a blower or compressed air too aggressively you can push dust and parts of the seal into the space. Unfortunately you need to pull a few screws to get to this area. It is not bad, but be careful if you do this. Another option is if you have CPS send it into Canon with a Clean and Check certificate and mention it on the order.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spot inside prism? 1D3

Thanks guys .. it's not in sharp focus.

So I'm probably unable to remove this spot without some unscrewing of parts? .. I'm comfortable changing out the focus screen but that's about it. So it's probably left alone or done by Canon next trip.
Thanks again!

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password