Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

Hi,

The Blue Angels are here in the San Francisco Bay area for Fleet Week. In addition we have the America's Cup race practices happening on the Bay. I am going to take tomorrow afternoon off to shot the planes and the boats. I have done this before and in previous years I took a 1Dxxx camera. But tomorrow I think I am going to leave the 1 series at home and just take the 5DMK3 because I think the AF and shutter speed are up to the task. Am I crazy?

Jerry

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:36 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

I don't think you are crazy at all. From my experience, the 5d3 does some sports quite well and that would include jet images. I do feel a bit FPS limited with some sports, like football, where the action can change rapidly and players can come into and out of your view without being able to anticipate them. In those cases, I want as many frames as possible because I know I am going to have to toss some.

However, in some sports, like track, where the action is more predictable, I don't need as many frames and being FPS limited is not an issue. I think the jets would be more like track.

The only downside I see is shooting full frame vs crop factor may leave you with shorter lenses than you might want/need.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:09 PM
bobbyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

Shooting planes/cars is never a problem for any camer IMHO. Even through they move at high speed the movement is quite easy to track IMHO.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

If you are going to be close to the show center point, you might want the slightly higher frame rate for opposing passes to try to catch the best instant, but that is the only possible reason to consider the 1D3. Otherwise, the 5D3 should work out well. The increased resolution of your 5D3 over the 1D3 makes up for the crop, so you should be fine with full frame. If your choice included a 1D4, then the decision would be more complicated.

The autofocus of the 5D3 is mostly the same as the 1DX, so that should be no problem.

Have fun. I wish I was down there with you.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:20 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

Just like a bat-on-ball, we're not there yet where high frame rate will get you an opposing pass. I think you're still better off trying to time it. So the 5D should be fine.

I'd consider the 1D if you are trying to get full disks on a prop plane. If you're panning at 1/100 or less and 400mm, your keeper rate is so low that you need all the fps you can get.

Mark

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

1DsIII and 500L IS two years ago, this is a crop

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    500mm    f/6.3    1/4000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

you might want the slightly higher frame rate for opposing passes to try to catch the best instant we're not there yet...

... where high frame rate will get you an opposing pass. I think you're still better off trying to time it.

My first week with my first DSLR: 20D. My first airshow. My first time using AI Servo. My first attempt at crossing, where the combined airspeed is about 1,000 mph. One crossing only; no second chance. I didnít even have the experience to set it on multi frame. Just one single click of the shutter. About 50% crop.

Yeah, I think just maybe, the 5DIII might possibly be able to do it.

crossing

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdrk888
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

I used my 5DIII in April for a Blue Angels show and bought a used 7D for the "reach" for another Blue Angels show in Sept, both with the 100-400mm. Surprisingly I got more and better opposing pass shots with the 5DIII, albeit the slower frame rate. I sold the 7D within a week after I used it. I just didn't care for the files from the 7D. I don't have the time nor the skills to do the necessary processing work of the 7D files.

I know the OP wasn't talking about 7D. My point is that the 5DIII works fine for me for airshows but I do miss the reach of the 7D for single jet shots, for formations, sometimes 400mm on the 7D can be too close.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:25 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

The only time I like high fps with aircraft is when shooting at a low shutter speed for prop blur. 1/60 @ >400mm needs all the help I can get!

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:44 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

I was shooting hummingbirds with a 30D and a 55-250. I think the 5DIII will handle it.

I had to get the af close to the right distance. At least it worked a lot better when I did. Of course it helped when they hovered.

The planes are moving fast but are far enough away that the lens shouldn't have to do much if you prefocus at about the right distance. i've never shot what you are talking about with digital and af, but it really doesn't sound that difficult to me. If the af wouldn't cut it on a high contrast target like a plane, I might try to prefocus and use mf. Might be hard with a tele though. Shouldn't be too hard on af. The planes are a ways away.

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:26 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

Thanks for all the comments. I am looking forward to seeing what the 5DMK3 can do. A few years back I tried my 5Dc with a 100-400 and it could not focus fast enough. I had to switch to manual focus and the keeper rate dropped to about 40%. That is when I started taking the 1 series cameras and the keeper rate went way up.

I am hoping to get to the right spot where the planes will be pretty darn close. At a certain part of the routine they come straight at you and go directly overhead, at least during the practice. If you are lucky they come at you slowly in a nose high attitude, as in approach to landing stall practice, and then kick afterburner as they power out. The sound shakes you to your core!

Jerry

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:36 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

Sounds fun! Good Luck!

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:52 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Am I nuts? Blue Angels with 5DMK3 instead of 1DMK3

You can't go wrong with either one. They are both great but 5D Mark 3 will be good for wide angle formation and
you can crop in.

Here is my shots in 2011 with 7D and 500

7D with 100-400

2010 Blue Angel with 1D Mark 2 and 100-400. Slow shutter speed of 1/800th for motion

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password