Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

It would be nice to move up to a camera with the capabilities of the D800, but the concept of spending that much money while knowing that it's a crapshoot whether or not I end up with a brand new camera with a focusing issue, has caused me to not pull the trigger on buying one

Is waiting awhile for Nikon to correct this problem a good strategy?

Has anybody heard anything definitive about Nikon's plans in this regard?

Thanks.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:14 PM
ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

It's frustrating isn't it. I bought one last week because I pushed for a very good deal, but 3 bodies tested so far and all 3 have the problem.

The retailer is currently looking into sourcing me a non-affected body but I have already spoken with Nikon directly and they have said they can calibrate the D800 easily enough for me. However, for that kind of money I expect it to be perfect right out the box.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:19 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

Does having Nikon calibrate it for you entail sending a brand new camera to a Nikon Service center?
Thanks for your response

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:21 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

uintaangler wrote:
Does having Nikon calibrate it for you entail sending a brand new camera to a Nikon Service center?
Thanks for your response

If by "brand new" you mean an box that has jus been purchased, is seen to have the issue and is then shipped to and calibrated by Nikon, then "Yes".

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:25 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

uintaangler wrote:
Thanks for your response

As above. It would mean sending my brand new D800 to a Nikon service centre for calibration.

I would rather be supplied with a replacement brand new D800 though.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:32 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

Thus my original question - can we assume at this point that newer D800's will leave the factory without the AF issue?

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:33 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

New D800e from Amazon still has issue.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:44 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

uintaangler wrote:
Thus my original question - can we assume at this point that newer D800's will leave the factory without the AF issue?

I'm sure i have read on the web that Nikon has resolved the manufacturing flaws that created this issue. Therefor new D800's form the factory should not have the problem.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:05 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

So I guess the trick will be figuring out what retail outlets have the newer D800's and who is still unloading their inventory of the problematic bodies

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

The issue is real and I am assuming any body coming from the factory now should be ok. With that being said I had mine for over four months with the issue and not once did it effect my shoots all of which were paid. The issue only shows up on my wide lenses when using the outer points. The camera was perfect on all lenses 50 mm and longer. Recently I had a break and I decided to send it in. The camera was back to me within 2 weeks and is now flawless. So if you must purchase a new d800 you have two options if it exhibits this issue. 1.Send it back to the retailer and wait for another body turn around time could be a week or more. 2. Send it to Nikon have them fix it turnaround time 2 weeks. It's a tough choice but the camera is very good.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

I plan on buying when Thom says they've fixed the problem. Only then!

http://www.bythom.com/

My 700's are still doing bang-up jobs.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:34 PM
elbeasto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

Yeah, I've thought about going a 5DIII because of this but really, I'm better off putting some new glass in front of my D700.
In terms of getting a D800E, I'd rather let everyone else buy up the affected ones first anyway.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:47 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

You would normally expect there could be many refurbed D800/D800E showing up at the Nikon Store. When we see none, that means they just keep recycling the stuff.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:55 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

mshi wrote:
You would normally expect there could be many refurbed D800/D800E showing up at the Nikon Store. When we see none, that means they just keep recycling the stuff.

They probably are being a little careful not to crater their dealers when stock is still a little sketchy, but you have a good point - you'd think they'd have a LOT of end-user returns that will have to become refurbs or scrap...

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:36 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

Early adopter=beta tester.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:11 PM
xaradaisy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

When did you receive the D800E from amazon? And what is the approximate serial number?

Thanks

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:22 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

Virtually no camera as complex as today's DSLRS is perfectly calibrated out of the box. To the person that might switch to Canon: I came from Canon and there you have lots more calibration problems.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:43 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

M635_Guy wrote:
They probably are being a little careful not to crater their dealers when stock is still a little sketchy, but you have a good point - you'd think they'd have a LOT of end-user returns that will have to become refurbs or scrap...

to save yourselves some precious time, the optimal strategy is to wait a few more months and I believe retailers will likely offer some discounts on D800/D800E too.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:44 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

uintaangler wrote:
It would be nice to move up to a camera with the capabilities of the D800, but the concept of spending that much money while knowing that it's a crapshoot whether or not I end up with a brand new camera with a focusing issue, has caused me to not pull the trigger on buying one

Is waiting awhile for Nikon to correct this problem a good strategy?

Has anybody heard anything definitive about Nikon's plans in this regard?

Thanks.

If it where me I'd wait 3-6 more months till buying one.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:47 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away?

xaradaisy wrote:
When did you receive the D800E from amazon? And what is the approximate serial number?

Thanks

306*
received it yesterday evening.

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password