Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

photoelle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

I have an old "magic drainpipe" lens, which I love, but the rubber on the zoom area has gotten loose and flops around a bit. What would be the best way to secure it, or tighten it up? I thought about using a spot or two of crazy glue, but I wouldn't want that stuff to get in the wrong places.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:45 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

Something simple before gluing anything with Super Glue, say like a few thick rubber bands or the grippy tape used to sticky up tennis racket handles?

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:16 AM
dwweiche
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

I recall reading a do-it-yourself some time back about removing the rubber zoom ring, using a sharp razor to slice the band in two, trim it slightly, and then re-wrap with adhesive.

Darned if I can remember where the heck I saw that. It was explained much better by the original author...

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

Much as above. You need to shorten the rubber first. (I also can't remember where I saw the advice) but I would steer clear of super glue/crazy glue . That stuff gives off some nasty vapour and I've read that it can get into some stuff and do damage.

There are plenty of 'inert' type glues that could do the job.

Why risk damaging a great pipe for a couple of dabs of glue.

Oct 03, 2012 at 06:09 AM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #5 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

mines gone the same way, I didnt dare use glue so just put a rubber band round it!

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:37 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #6 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

Midwest Camera fixed mine - it needed more than a rubber grip - and they might have parts. I've also seen rubber strips from discontinued lenses for sale on ebay...that is, if you want to replace the part altogether.

I agree with the above consensus, though; super glue is too far/permanent/unpredictable a route...

Good luck,
Jerry

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

Glue is a solution, but not the kind of 10 second super glue type. You definitely need some other type of glue. In dutch we call the glue type "rubber cement" which is a polymer very similar to latex mixed with some solvents. But in the solvents is the problem, not all of them are compatible with your lens tube and rubber grip. My adivce: Go to an instrumentmaker. He knows what kind of glue is good for your lens and which is not. And your instrumentmaker probably can fix it without cutting the grip in just a few minutes. Should not cost too much. Have EOSfun

Edited on Oct 03, 2012 at 12:29 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

A quick fix would be to tighten up the current ring as suggested by dwweiche, and then use some fine gaffer's tape to hold it together.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:28 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

This is the type of glue I meant in your American market:

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Pliobond-Industrial-Contact-Cement-p/sp-0001.htm

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:37 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

And this is how to apply the glue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWIqnbU1-U

The 80-200L is of course a little more difficult because the rubber grip is bigger and harder to get on and of. Also I would recommend to use handgloves during this operation, unlike what the guy in the video does with his bare hands. It's not very difficult to do, but if you don't feel secure, again go to an instrument maker who can do this for you. Again have EOSfun with your magic drainpipe

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:41 PM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #11 · Problem with 80-200 f2.8 lens

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions! I really appreciate it. Its a truly great lens which I've had for many years, and I want to continue using it.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password