New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 5DII or 5Dc

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DII or 5Dc

I hate to say this in a DSLR forum, but if you are really going to primarily be shooting street have you considered a mirrorless camera? Something like the Olympus OM-D or Panasonic GX1 which are small, light, and quick. I have used both my 5DMK3 and GX1 for street and really prefer the GX1 for quick captures.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:30 AM
sandycrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DII or 5Dc

Gunzorro wrote:
I have a wonderful 5D with around 18k actuations I'll be happy to trade straight across to anyone not happy with the 5D2 (in working order!). Just shoot me a PM. Let's see how strong the loyalty and nostalgia runs.

I don't think its loyalty or nostalgia. I think its value.
Your offer makes no sense.

Oct 03, 2012 at 10:33 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DII or 5Dc

I just upgraded to a 5D II.
1. ISO performance is much better - I see a huge improvement in IQ when at higher iso's I need to use (1,000 -2,500). Frankly, I was already pleased with the 5Dc in this regard. this pleasantly surprised me.
2. Live view rocks. Essential at times with manual focus lenses, particularly tilt shift, and astro for example.
3. Auto iso very handy when shooting under a time pressure (ex, wildlife with varying light over 5-20 minutes with subject)
4. MFA means you don't have to send camera body and lenses in to Canon to fine tune focus. This is a big deal for my 400mm lens (+/- 1.4x converter) which was calibrated recently but needed +6 with my 5DII. Nothing like focusing on eyes to see really sharp ears.
5. You can use magic lantern if that interests you. With live view you can have focus peeking for example.
6. You can crop a bit more when focal length challenged with wildlife.
Like everything, depends what you need/want. I'm glad for the upgrade. I certainly was very happy with the 5Dc but didn't know what I was really missing.

For street photography, the 5D series seems a bit big. I agree something mirrorless like a G3 or OM-5 would be more discrete . I do see an advantage in focus peeking with manual lenses if you used magic lantern on the 5DII.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:39 AM
bfs208

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DII or 5Dc

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the 5Dc (at least mine) was a dust magnet. Probably not a big deal if you are shooting mostly wide open. The 5D II has auto sensor cleaning and hasn't been nearly the problem with sensor dust that the 5Dc was.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DII or 5Dc

sandycrane wrote:
I don't think its loyalty or nostalgia. I think its value.
Your offer makes no sense.

Sandy -- That's kind of the point. I read that owners of the 5D2 wax poetic and claim to prefer the 5Dc. Or people cashing in and moving back. Since the price difference for used is only about $700, I might as well see if there are any crazy people out there who would like to trade back to a lovely 5Dc.

It was a great camera for what it was, in its time, just like the 1D2 was (and which I prefer over the 5Dc, and am keeping for everything but screen size and MP). An if someone is just dipping a toe into FF, the 5Dc is a fine bargain. But if there is a hint of a choice between the two, I don't see the 5Dc comparing in any way, except price.

This is my opinion. Someone else's opinion might differ, even so far as to feel they want to disinherit their 5D2 and reclaim their lost DSLR youth with my 5Dc. Ha-ha!

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:25 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DII or 5Dc

Mark ii but its a personal choice. I love LV for landscape and the extra MP. Also, I use a lot of fast glass AF (which you don't) and therefore I prefer AFMA to get best consistent results.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:41 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DII or 5Dc

5Dc.

The 5D2 has more megapixels but the trade off is banding at high iso's which render images unusable beyond 5x7. I would not touch the 2.

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 05:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:04 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DII or 5Dc

I'm in the 5D II camp. I shot the 5D from spring 2006 through Christmas of last year. It's now my backup and honestly haven't used it since. I use mainly manual focus lenses, you can get comparable focusing screens for both...so that's a push. But most of the time I'm using Live View and exposure simulation, if that is an option for what you are shooting...it's really tough to beat. I don't find the output of the 5D II to be inferior to the original 5D, but I'm shooting mostly high quality primes. The extra resolution may show lens limitations that the classic wouldn't show.

At the end of the day...it's hard to go wrong with either.

-Tim

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:15 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DII or 5Dc

I loved the look of images from the 5D. Cant convince myself that the IQ is better on the MKII. The extra features are nice, the high ISO shooting is a strong point for me. Do you need the extra megapixels?
I'd lean towards the classic, except that I have no experience with the MF lenses and ease of use without live view.

Scott

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DII or 5Dc

The 5D2 has more megapixels but the trade off is banding at high iso's which render images unusable beyond 5x7.

I shot a 5Dc for 4 years as my only camera. I shot two 5DIIs for nearly 4 years after that.

I've been careful not to tell my several 16"x24" 5DII prints about banding beyond 5x7. Because they don't know better, they show no banding at that large size!

Oct 03, 2012 at 07:37 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DII or 5Dc

Don Clary wrote:
I shot a 5Dc for 4 years as my only camera. I shot two 5DIIs for nearly 4 years after that.

I've been careful not to tell my several 16"x24" 5DII prints about banding beyond 5x7. Because they don't know better, they show no banding at that large size!

Shot at 6400 or above?

The banding was a consistent issue with the 5d2 at high iso. There are enough who claim to never have experience the problem so perhaps it effected some cameras and not others but there are also enough who experienced the banding issues with that model.

So take the risk and hope you get a good one for a few extra megapixel but i would not recommend that.

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:58 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DII or 5Dc

Gunzorro wrote:
Sandy -- That's kind of the point. I read that owners of the 5D2 wax poetic and claim to prefer the 5Dc. Or people cashing in and moving back. Since the price difference for used is only about $700, I might as well see if there are any crazy people out there who would like to trade back to a lovely 5Dc.

It was a great camera for what it was, in its time, just like the 1D2 was (and which I prefer over the 5Dc, and am keeping for everything but screen size and MP). An if someone
...Show more

I understand your point. It just wasn't well made.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:31 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DII or 5Dc

No comparison IMO. 5D II blows it away in everything but AF and IQ, but IMO IQ i still better and having the extra 8.3MP comes in very handy not only for the extra detail for larger prints, but for cropping. I can't point to any examples where I could say the 5Dc produced better results. I found shadows while not great on 5D II still show a bit more detail and the 14bit files produce less posterisation in very light tones.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:34 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5DII or 5Dc

sandycrane wrote:
I understand your point. It just wasn't well made.

Ha-ha! And, arguably, not a point worth trying to make. Thanks Sandy.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:06 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5DII or 5Dc

If anyone is looking for a very clean low mileage (5k) 5Dc shoot me a PM

Oct 05, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5DII or 5Dc

bfs208 wrote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the 5Dc (at least mine) was a dust magnet. Probably not a big deal if you are shooting mostly wide open. The 5D II has auto sensor cleaning and hasn't been nearly the problem with sensor dust that the 5Dc was.

I agree; 5Dc sensor always seemed to need cleaning, whereas 5D II could go a year or more between cleans.

Oct 05, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5DII or 5Dc

I mostly agree with Wayne's (Pixel Perfect) views on the differences. Regarding sensor cleaning I've found the 5Dc, while requiring more cleaning, is much easier to clean than the 5D2. The 5D2's anti-dust sensor coatings have made manual cleaning much more frustrating IMHO, to the point where I joined CPS and send it to Canon for an annual cleaning.

Generally, while I think the 5Dc takes fantastic images and its 12 MP is all anyone really needs , the 5D2 has much more versatile features with live view, video, cropping size, rear LCD, and menu system among them. I will still keep and use both bodies.

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5DII or 5Dc

I have both. The MKII is a better camera, but the 5Dc is a much better value. I find the output to be a little better with the MKII and liveview is a very nice feature, but if money is tight at all then getting the 5Dc would make a lot of sense.

Oct 06, 2012 at 11:20 AM
alexdi
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5DII or 5Dc

I wouldn't buy a 5Dc. The 5D II's UI alone is worth the upgrade cost if you ever have to change settings on the fly.

Oct 06, 2012 at 05:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5DII or 5Dc

ggOk wrote:
if you are using MF lenses... live view is a big plus.

/r
Andy

Not for street photography. A 5dc with an EF-S screen and a Zeiss 35 makes for one sweet street photography setup.

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:46 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.