Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 5DII or 5Dc

TR3B
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5DII or 5Dc

I'm in the market for a 5D. I'm just not sure which way to go. If I don't shoot video and plan to use the camera for mostly street stuff with manual focus lens which camera makes the most sense, 5Dc or 5DII.
I was thinking very clean 5Dc for $500-$700 is a great buy.
Now I see 5DII new for $1800...just not sure the extra $1100 is money well spent. I'm merely an amateur and my 1Ds is getting a little heavy these days.
Is the MarkII really that much better than the original?

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:19 AM
gwaww
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 5DII or 5Dc

Mark II is better in almost every way except for one. IQ. I still think the original 5D is one of Canon's all time best. I like the files of the "classic" better.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:23 AM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #3 · 5DII or 5Dc

I don't know 5D but I'm very happy with my Mark II.
I wouldn't go back to a camera without live view.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:24 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 5DII or 5Dc

I've owned a 5Dc and own a 5D2 and 5D3. If you don't need the video and megapixels and slightly better high ISO and you're strictly MF I'd go with a 5Dc if you can find a low mileage copy. I loved that camera and still regret selling it. Spend the money you save on a good focus screen and cool lens.

Cheers!

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:26 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5DII or 5Dc

gwaww wrote:
Mark II is better in almost every way except for one. IQ. I still think the original 5D is one of Canon's all time best. I like the files of the "classic" better.

Agreed. Except the AF is about the same between them and that's not a factor for the OP anyway.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:28 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #6 · 5DII or 5Dc

I have both and I never touch my original 5D since getting the mark II.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:44 AM
samwise
• • •
p.1 #7 · 5DII or 5Dc

shot with the mark 1 for 3 years and mark 2 for 1 year. Mark 1 has better files outside, mark II has better files inside.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:50 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #8 · 5DII or 5Dc

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the Mark II better. Maybe it's because I found it's convenient for me to use the Mark II with Canon flash.

Oct 03, 2012 at 04:05 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #9 · 5DII or 5Dc

My combo was the 5D and 1DsMk2. Agree with all the 5D comments - it is one of the best natural light SLR's Canon has made. The 1DsMk2 is in my opinion in same league plus the obvious professional features.

However, I bought the 5D II and now use it a lot for one reason - I love shooting legacy manual focus lens. If you shoot MF lens and tripod then live-view gives a HUGE advantage for accurate focusing. As for the IQ compared to the 5D/1DsMk2 - I still prefer the 5D/1DsMk2.

The biggest weakness I've found with the 5D II is its ability to cleanly pull out details. For that camera you really need to shoot as far right as possible on exposure.
Dave

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5DII or 5Dc

Any time is a good time to buy a 5D.

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #11 · 5DII or 5Dc

You can get a 5D classic for what a decent lens would cost. What a deal! I recently bought a 5Dc and really like it. Better IQ than my D700 at low ISO.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Mark Rodz
• •
p.1 #12 · 5DII or 5Dc

I had the 5Dc years ago, and should have never sold it. I just picked one up again, and I will use it for the same reason as you - shooting manual with legacy Zeiss lenses. There is nothing like the look of images from the 5Dc (and I've owned - the 30D, 5DmkII, D700, NEx-5N).

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:20 PM
TR3B
• • •
p.1 #13 · 5DII or 5Dc

Thanks for all the replies guys! Consensus is looking like what I was feeling. I've owned 2 5Dc and a couple of 1Ds originals as well. I really like the 1Ds files at low iso but the start-up time, weight, and buffer time are slowing me a bit on the street. I think a low mileage 5Dc might be in order. The intent is to use it when I need full-frame. I have a Leica M8 and have been a bit challenged trying to get comfortable with it. My composition with it has been a bit frustrating. It might have to let it go but I'm somewhat stubborn and I'm not giving up on it yet.

Finally, I was looking at some images I felt were some of my better work and noticed the majority are with the 5Dc. I really like the price point of the original 5D now. I think the $1000-$1200 savings over the MarkII is probably the prudent move at this point.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:24 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 5DII or 5Dc

Mk2

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · 5DII or 5Dc

The 21MP 5D2 is far superior in IQ, details, and menu/LCD. Just the LV and screen are worth the upgrade, IMO. I also like the option for HD video.

The 12.7MP 5D is a good, cheap entry into full frame. And if that's what you want, go for it!

I have a wonderful 5D with around 18k actuations I'll be happy to trade straight across to anyone not happy with the 5D2 (in working order!). Just shoot me a PM. Let's see how strong the loyalty and nostalgia runs.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:28 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #16 · 5DII or 5Dc

if you are using MF lenses... live view is a big plus.

/r
Andy

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #17 · 5DII or 5Dc

the MK II is a much better camera thanks to LV and also has a substantial advantage above ISO 400. You compare used against new prices, which means a camera with more shutter counts against one with less or none. Right now you might find a MK2 for 1200-1300

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:59 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 5DII or 5Dc

I have owned both cameras, and as much as I adore the 5Dc, I really have to give the nod to the 5DII. The live view, self cleaning sensor, and IQ really made a big difference for me. If you really can't justify spending the extra $1,000 (give or take) on the 5DII, then you will still get a wonder camera body in the 5Dc.

-Nick

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:09 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 5DII or 5Dc

The original 5D was a landmark camera and I loved mine (I've had three, still have one)

But the 5DII is simply a much better camera in every way, including image quality.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:11 PM
taemo
• •
p.1 #20 · 5DII or 5Dc

I've been tempted to jump back to a 5Dc from the II several times but finally I think I'm ready to settle down with the II.

For $500-700, the 5Dc is one hell of a deal for photography with fantastic IQ and simplistic design.

The Mark II which goes for around $1400-1600 will give you better ISO performance, higher MP (more cropping power), slightly better weather sealing and live view but if you don't need these features then go ahead and get a 5Dc.

IMO max usable ISO on the 5Dc is around 800-1600.
The 5DII on the other hand, up to 6400.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:17 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password