FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · $895.00 is just way too much

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · $895.00 is just way too much

Well im gonna go be the fat american I am and get some lunch. Hope to read for fun stuff when I get back...

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · $895.00 is just way too much

mmmm good popcorn.

Sorry Marti, I have to agree with some of the others in here, and this is not out of a desire to insult you. Starting at $895 makes you the guy that most people complain about on here that undercuts them with ludicrous prices. Imagine charging two and a half times that. That means you only need 20 inquiries instead of 50 and would be working less.

As someone who went from $1000 per wedding to $5000 in the last 4 years, let me tell you something: When you raise your prices you get better clients, better venues and better weddings. At $895 you will always get the bottom of the barrel bargain hunters.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · $895.00 is just way too much

also.. why $895? Why not $900... or $1000.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:49 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · $895.00 is just way too much

Sergio Mottola wrote:
this guy thinks I live in New Zealand hahahaha. I shoot 18-25 weddings a year, not ten, and I shoot them all over the world. I live in Tacoma, WA, USA, Marti the illiterate. you see a NZ wedding on my blog because I was commissioned to go out there. as well as china, Hong Kong, Greece, Germany, australia. must be hard for you to wrap your head around I just sent a $3100 quote for an engagement session in macchu pichu. and I was being generous considering the travel... I don't let the economy effect my business.

Hmmm.... marti... I dunno, but when someone builds their biz like this, you might actually want to see what he has to say instead of labeling him an overpriced tog. And the only way someone can be overpriced is if no one is willing to pay him. Also, it's amusing that you call him overpriced when everyone is telling you how under-priced you are, and while you're complaining about brides not wanting to pay your underpriced fee.

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:56 PM
teebat
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · $895.00 is just way too much

marti.g3 wrote:
I was contacted today by a bride getting married next March. Church wedding locally, reception at the Hilton Doubletre Ontario, not cheap by any means.

The coordinator there told her to call me. She did, I spoke with her, all the usual yada yada.

"Oh xxxx told me you had some great pricing".........." Do I get a big discount, two photographers"..............." ?"..........my mental state at the time........

I emailed her my pricing, contacted her later for verification and her reply was " Oh im sorry but your pricing was just way out of our budget for photography"...........WTF ? Really ? How
...Show more

And they will easily drop that much for a photo booth without blinking.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:08 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · $895.00 is just way too much

My 4 hour shoot and burn is almost double what you charge and is still considered cheap by many. No one books it either. Well, I do get maybe 1 or 2 weddings a year that choose that package, but it is always a bride that loves my work but can't afford more. She could easily go to someone and get a lot more coverage and an album or a session for the same price, but she doesn't because she wants us there.

But yea, raise your prices. Just try it. I have noticed the higher my prices get the more money people spend on add ons. I am attracting a different type of bride. I always had sweet budget brides thankfully back when my prices were lower but they didn't buy albums or prints.

People are giving you good advice. May not be saying it in the nicest way, but then again you aren't being kind either.

Edited on Oct 03, 2012 at 01:49 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:14 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · $895.00 is just way too much

This thread deserves some kind of award. lol

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:46 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · $895.00 is just way too much

Paging Ale...these needs adding to the "threads not to miss" thread...

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · $895.00 is just way too much

amonline wrote:
This thread deserves some kind of award. lol

How about a cup cake? its the 'new ' wedding cake?!?!?

(keeping the post related to weddings)

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:23 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · $895.00 is just way too much

Inku Yo wrote:
Oh and I'll also agree with getting out of Rancho Cucamonga. Being listed first on Google for that town seems like being listed first for "Cliffside Park wedding photographer".

Target a bigger metro area. You're only what, 40 mins outside of LA? Why can't you be an LA photographer? Or a Southern California photographer?

I see your point, but you move out here and try to get SEO to click for you in the LA market, much less "make it big." It's an amazingly dense-packed market, with brutal competition, and not many deep pockets. I understand the philosophy of up-pricing, but a lot of times I hear the advice coming from Austin and not downtown LA.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:30 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · $895.00 is just way too much

Robin Usagani wrote:
also.. why $895? Why not $900... or $1000.

Or... why $1000 or $900 and not $895? See how it works? Not terribly well.

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:33 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · $895.00 is just way too much

eNoBlog wrote:
I see your point, but you move out here and try to get SEO to click for you in the LA market, much less "make it big." It's an amazingly dense-packed market, with brutal competition, and not many deep pockets. I understand the philosophy of up-pricing, but a lot of times I hear the advice coming from Austin and not downtown LA.

I call BS... NJ is the most densely populated state in the country...

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · $895.00 is just way too much

eNoBlog wrote:
Or... why $1000 or $900 and not $895? See how it works? Not terribly well.

Seriously? You don't think pricing a wedding package with 95 at the end doesn't look tacky? It is my first time seeing it.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Manzelle
• •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · $895.00 is just way too much

Robin Usagani wrote:
Seriously? You don't think pricing a wedding package with 95 at the end doesn't look tacky? It is my first time seeing it.

I price mine 2995.95 plus shipping and handling. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · $895.00 is just way too much

Manzelle wrote:
I price mine 2995.95 plus shipping and handling. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

If you book now, you get another album for free *.

*shipping and handling not included.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:18 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · $895.00 is just way too much

friscoron wrote:
There are several things I don't understand here. One, marti's attitude in this thread is no different from anything I've seen from him the last few months. He's like form on anti-depressants. For someone who's been in the business as long as he is, it shocks me the questions he asks on here, like he needs someone else's (some person on a forum?!) to advise him about the very basics of running a wedding photography business. And what amazes me is how many ppl respond to him.

Then he complains they're not being helpful? This guy should be paying $1000/yr
...Show more

agree 100%

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:23 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · $895.00 is just way too much

paparazzinick wrote:
The only president I liked was Clinton. Probably because he smoked weed and got BJ's.

He never inhaled.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:23 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · $895.00 is just way too much

...but SHE did

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:28 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · $895.00 is just way too much

trenchmonkey wrote:
...but SHE did

By the way ... I heard she's about ready to sign a $12 million dollar book deal elaborate on her, ummmm, "adventures". The book company is hoping to take advantage of Clinton's re-newed popularity right now.

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.